Tomáš Plekanec: Mr. Everything

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
it sure was for Vanek too, took him ONE game to comment on playing on a shutdown line.

That was a loser comment if ever I heard one.

The Toews line played vs Getzlaf, not only shut them down but scored themselves, that's why Chicago is in the final.

Obviously Plekanec isn't Toews, but he also doesn't have Chicago's scoring depth taking heat away from him offensively.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Ideally, Plek is now a very solid 3rd line centre who can be used as #2 whenever needed.

Trade him? Maybe. But then we have to rebuild for 2-3 years. Alternatively, we could live with the inconsistencies of having Galchenyuk as our top line centre and go from there.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Ideally, Plek is now a very solid 3rd line centre who can be used as #2 whenever needed.

Trade him? Maybe. But then we have to rebuild for 2-3 years. Alternatively, we could live with the inconsistencies of having Galchenyuk as our top line centre and go from there.

Not too many 60 point guys play on the 3rd line, not only that but what star centers are you going to add to make that happen?

That sounds like a pie in the sky idea.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
Can we stop calling him a 3rd line center? He was 25th in points among Centers last year. He is a solid 2nd line center. He would do wonders playing behind a real #1 center.

HabsChik*

Can we stop calling him a 3rd line center? He was 25th in points among Centers last year. He is a solid 2nd line center. He would do wonders playing behind a real #1 center.

Great, he can do it on another team....bye bye Pleky. You suck in the playoffs.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If you dump Plekanec for picks and prospects, making the playoffs is no guarantee in the first place.

You talk as if there is ANY guarantee in this world. Plekanec could get hurt while playing golf this summer.

I'd rather work on a set vision of the team and connect that vision with real opportunities for the players that can fit into that vision. (Galchenyuk at center, exemple)

It's hard to see how Pleks fits in any of these visions and "making the playoffs" for the sake of it, isn't going to bring home a cup.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Who was centering Pleks when Cammy had that torrid post-season?

As mentioned, he's not supposed to be #1, but despite DD getting top minutes, Pleks gets the hard minutes.

I understand why people want him traded, to each his own, but I think he's a solid contributor and the least of our worries. Give the players a system and linemates that they are suited to, and we will see success.

If you think our puck possession on the PP sucks now.... The guy knows how to slow it down when appropriate, pick up the tempo and can thread the needle. He's not Toews, but we don't need him to be. I'm not closed to getting a much better C to replace him, but I'd love to know who that is and how much else we'd have to give up. Much rather see Eller, Chucky develop. Get that winger, and things will be mostly good.

I think someone questioned his chemistry with Kovalev and Kostitsyn. That's amusing. Even Cammy ftm. Even Patch FTM!

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
There's another center on this team that sucks infinitely more in the play-offs.

DD blows, yeah, but this organization won't trade him unless they have to. They really, truly love him and his 'fantastic' 40-something point season. Motherf's threw Bustchenyuk under the bus to accomodate Desharnais.

But that doesn't mean it isn't time for Pleks to move on, he doesn't have that higher gear and he's overstayed his welcome for his rather pedestrian playoff performances.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I'm on board with moving Plekanec, provided it's for a similarly valued top 6 RW/LW who has offensive upside.

The standpoint of "Who replaces him", well that's kind of the risk you run with a trade. But keeping the roster AS-IS is just going to result in the same conversation next year.

Plekanec has value, let's not pretend he will be dumped for nothing.

Capitano

Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
I'm on board with moving Plekanec, provided it's for a similarly valued top 6 RW/LW who has offensive upside.

The standpoint of "Who replaces him", well that's kind of the risk you run with a trade. But keeping the roster AS-IS is just going to result in the same conversation next year.

Plekanec has value, let's not pretend he will be dumped for nothing.

I agree.

It just comes down to a few things really.

Is there a winger out there that we can get to fit in our top 6 without moving Pleks? And I mean a GOOD top 6 winger capable of 25-30 goals.

We already have Eller who is begging for more of an offensive role...we already have Chucky who can play C and we're likely better off giving him time to play there and get used to it.

It really comes down to our cup window...the way I see it Pleks will be hard pressed to duplicate his stats next year...and isn't getting any younger.

We've been through this before with guys like Souray, and even Saku...at some point we have to think about trading these guys instead of losing them for nothing or before their play declines so much that they become a salary problem...if Pleks was 27-28 then I wouldn't be singing this song...age is the biggest factor here for me.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
If you dump Plekanec for picks and prospects, making the playoffs is no guarantee in the first place.

There is no guarantee we will make the playoffs next year regardless.

I agree.

It just comes down to a few things really.

Is there a winger out there that we can get to fit in our top 6 without moving Pleks? And I mean a GOOD top 6 winger capable of 25-30 goals.

We already have Eller who is begging for more of an offensive role...we already have Chucky who can play C and we're likely better off giving him time to play there and get used to it.

It really comes down to our cup window...the way I see it Pleks will be hard pressed to duplicate his stats next year...and isn't getting any younger.

We've been through this before with guys like Souray, and even Saku...at some point we have to think about trading these guys instead of losing them for nothing or before their play declines so much that they become a salary problem...if Pleks was 27-28 then I wouldn't be singing this song...age is the biggest factor here for me.

I agree,

I would prefer Bergevin take a risk and move Plekanec (if the return is right).

I am content rolling with Galchenyuk-Eller-DLR or adding a centre via another trade...at least try SOMETHING different.

Plekanec may have peaked value-wise, IF we can improve on the wing I am happy with the young centres we have.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
This myth of Plekanec having chemistry with anyone needs to stop.

Kovalev,
Kostitsyn

Galchenyuk
Gallagher
Maxpac
Vanek
etc.

Who did Plekanec ever had chemistry with, in a habs jersey?

Well for starters, 3 of the people you mentioned. Vanek sulked about being on a shut down line. Galchenyuk I agree with, hate them together,

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't think it's such a bad thing that Pleks isn't that great a playmaker. I maintain that with adequate ice-time he can get 50 points no matter who his linemates are. It's just time to move on before his game falls off though, because he'll be strictly a 20/20 guy in the coming years.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't think it's such a bad thing that Pleks isn't that great a playmaker. I maintain that with adequate ice-time he can get 50 points no matter who his linemates are. It's just time to move on before his game falls off though, because he'll be strictly a 20/20 guy in the coming years.

Hence a case to put him on the third line with scrubs like DSP.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Which is something that everyone hates about Kesler, for example, who has been a 2X/2X (G/A) scorer on a $5 million/year contract for several years now. :sarcasm:

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Which is something that everyone hates about Kesler, for example, who has been a 2X/2X (G/A) scorer on a $5 million/year contract for several years now. :sarcasm:

People can't get past the Euro thing and the comments made years ago by himself about needing to be better. He's been a stalwart and quite frankly Markov has cost us way more than has Plekanec, this year. I don't see that many wanting to trade him in the Emelin/Gilbert discussion.

Many see Kesler as a whole other beast, when really I too don't see that much difference. People will bring up the playoffs, but again

Kessler - 18G, 50pts,
Pleks - 15G, 46pts

Pleks has played 9 more games than him, but really, who was Kesler playing with vs. Pleks?

Everytime people say Pleks will decline, he keeps chugging, even when put with the Giontas of the world.

I really like Kesler, he's a great piece and yeah, probably more physical (though injury prone), but I don't think it's worlds apart. Again, I'm all for the young guys taking the reigns, so long as we get a great return for Plekanec and we don't panic at the first sign of our PK sucking, or us fighting for 8th or 9th spot. As long as we have our expectations set.

I do trust in Eller, but I almost wish Martin was here to round him into a great two-way player, the way he did with Pleks. Then again, that would be DLR's role...or would it be Chucky's? Which C has the Jonathan Toews comparison bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad