Value of: TJ Oshie @ Max Retention ($2.875M).

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
How cheaply would the Capitals potentially be willing to let TJ Oshie go for, with max retention bringing him down to $2.875M (with one more year remaining after this)?

At full ticket ($5.75M with another year remaining), he'd be practically unmovable. Especially at 37 years old now. He's obviously started to break down pretty badly physically. One of those guys you can't really rely on to stay healthy. He's also slowing down with all that wear and tear. But when healthy, he still seems like a good ~20G 40pts+ Middle-6 Winger sort of player who plays "the right way". With intensity and hustle, heart on his sleeve, responsible 2-way guy, and he's got that vaunted "Winner" tag on him. Plenty of playoff experience and some grit. Just under $3M doesn't seem bad for that if you get a little bit lucky with his health. Seems like he might not be a bad option for someone at the deadline.

What would it take for Washington to move him, and swallow that kind of retention for this year and next? Or is he just important enough as a veteran mentor/tone-setter/culture carrier that they'd prefer to just keep him? Or wait 'til next year when he's an expiring deal? He's also got a 10 Team NTC from the looks of it, but given where he's at in his career and the Capitals trajectory at the moment, would there be playoff teams that he wouldn't waive for?

Just doesn't seem to get talked about at all as potential trade bait, but at the right price, seems like he might be a cheap option for someone with experience.

So what's that cost? A pick/prospect? What quality?

Reactions: Coffees

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
Even at max retention, I can't see many teams being interested in him. Maybe there would be more interest if he was a pure rental. He will most likely fall even farther out next year and at 2.875, there are better options

Reactions: BLNY

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Gosh if he were a pure rental at $2.875 million, despite his stats - I’d have to think there’d be a long line of contenders wanting to add his playoff moxy and clutch skill.

The extra year at his age makes it more dicey.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Even at max retention, I can't see many teams being interested in him. Maybe there would be more interest if he was a pure rental. He will most likely fall even farther out next year and at 2.875, there are better options
Oshie is still a beast when healthy. At max retention I imagine teams would be lining up for him as you’re not likely to find a better player and teammate for $2.875M/year. He’s still a good middle six winger who can play PP and PK minutes and also is a good face off guy even though he’s a winger.

His skillset hasn’t fallen off much, he’s just not able to stay healthy any more which makes the extra year a bit risky but there’s risk with every trade and with Oshie you know you’re getting a very good player if he’s not in the training room.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Dont see reason to move Oshie. Value for team easily outweights the possible return. Unless its overpayment, which would be a bad move for the other team.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
With Backstroms contract presumably on LTIR and Mantha likely to be traded, even with the strong possibility of eating salary to move Kuznetsov, Washington has the cap space to keep Oshie who I personally regard as irreplaceable and the most important player on the team not named Ovechkin.

Reactions: biturbo19

Pigskin

Sponsor
Jan 14, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
Caps fans have been frustrated many times by his inability to stay healthy. He mostly gets a pass because he is a warrior and has earnt it. We all knew the end of his contract would be a problem, and given our standing, we move on.

No point in speculating a price, I suspect you would have to ask TJ if he wants to move first. Young family, team leader, I doubt it.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Honestly feels like a guy that I'd bring in for one run as a ufa at the end of the year to fill a hole. Would not want on my books the year after.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Gosh if he were a pure rental at $2.875 million, despite his stats - I’d have to think there’d be a long line of contenders wanting to add his playoff moxy and clutch skill.

The extra year at his age makes it more dicey.

That's the real crux of it. That's why i was kind of curious to see how other people would gauge it. Or if it's even something that would be on the table (which it may not be if it's not "worth it" to the Caps). Whether there's a fulcrum where the "value" still makes sense for an acquiring team (also assuming the potential liability of that extra year) but would be enough to convince Washington to move him...or not.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I certainly don't want to pay to get rid of Oshie. He's got the heart of a lion and if the Caps are rebuilding I still want him around the youngsters.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
No reason to move him. He's a solid player and a good presense to have around. The problem is his health but given where this team is at, it's not a problem worth paying to get rid of.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I certainly don't want to pay to get rid of Oshie. He's got the heart of a lion and if the Caps are rebuilding I still want him around the youngsters.

Yeah. For sure. I wouldn't expect the Caps to pay to get rid of him. There really is no reason to do that.

But would they really have to pay to get rid of him? I certainly lean toward there being teams out there who would give value for a retained Oshie. Even with that risky extra year. Probably not big value. But that's what i thought might make him an interesting target. If the acquisition price is lower...he's got all the playoff pedigree teams would want.

At $2.9M that extra year isn't even that huge of a liability. Especially since he's likely to spend a decent chunk of it on LTIR anyway.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Yeah. For sure. I wouldn't expect the Caps to pay to get rid of him. There really is no reason to do that.

But would they really have to pay to get rid of him? I certainly lean toward there being teams out there who would give value for a retained Oshie. Even with that risky extra year. Probably not big value. But that's what i thought might make him an interesting target. If the acquisition price is lower...he's got all the playoff pedigree teams would want.

At $2.9M that extra year isn't even that huge of a liability. Especially since he's likely to spend a decent chunk of it on LTIR anyway.
It's hard to know what other teams think. Yea Oshie's got the upside for a playoff run but he also had a pretty bad start to the year and has been injured many times the past few years.

I wouldn't retain on Oshie just to get a late pick.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I don’t really see the Capitals in any rush to move this guy (or signal a full rebuild to their group). It could be a quiet trade deadline. They had more impactful UFAs last year. Moving guys with remaining term seems unlikely, and I certainly don’t see them retaining.

Seravalli seems to be trying to create a narrative around a Dowd trade, but I think they keep him too.

They would deal Kuznetsov, but there is no market.

The change that is coming is they now know they can spend the Backstrom money in the summer.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
You could literally have him for free if you wanted. He’s done unfortunately.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
I think it's a waste of a retention spot for the capitals. They'd get a better return being a retention partner in a deal at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad