NHL Tim Peel fired

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
WON'T HAPPEN

do you want amateur officials working pro games, no matter the league..... remember the Devils fiasco that happened back in the late 80s where amateur officials almost worked a Stanley Cup playoff.

Peel's just the latest one who got caught..... Remember Schoenfeld's tirade against Don Koharski which went along the lines of the Donut Ref

I have to post the video just in case not everyone has had the pleasure of seeing this great moment in NHL history.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Not surprising at all. Peel stood out as poor in almost every single game he worked. I'm glad he's gone. It's long overdue.

I think most refs are prone to make-up calls, to a degree, but Peel judged the game so poorly he was always off-kilter.

Reactions: sarge88 and nORRis8

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
@BruinDust
WdBKpH.gif

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Nothing will change, sadly. It is a league problem, not a ref problem. If Peel was like this, it is only because the league let him be that way for a long career. This is nothing new, he just got caught on mic embarrassing himself and the NHL. If the goal of the refs were to call a game, not 'manage' it, it would be different, but I think the message from the NHL will have to change. Let the players play, call them as you see them and let the chips fall where they may.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
NHL Brass: "Tim, that was really dumb, you're making us all look bad, we know you're retiring in a month, but we're going to have to let you go right now"
Tim: "I'm fine not working another game but you're still paying me or i go to the press"
NHL: "of course"

there's no way he's losing a cent out of this, he's just getting a month of paid vacay

Reactions: BMC and nORRis8

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Its not like Peel's a Tim Donaghy.

Hockey's been called like this for as long as I can remember. Make-up calls, weak calls against the team that's ahead, stars getting more leeway than tough guys. Nothing new. To me its the toughest game to call. Maybe they should go back to the one ref system for more consistency. But I'm sure that would lead to many more missed calls.

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Interesting stuff. Tonites Red Wing\Nashville game Tim Peel is caught on a hot mic after making a call on the Preds...."It wasn't much ...but I wanted to give Nashvile a %#@&ing penalty early in the...."
Pre-meditating a penalty call? Targeting a team? Wow!!!!

This explains soooooo much.

NHL Referee Admits Looking to Call Nashville Penalty on Hot Mic

A large part of my NHL fandom died during the Blues cup final due to the egregious officiating. Don't know how many times I have posted that it goes far beyond incompetence. Shit is straight up rigged like the NBA. Hopefully more people open their eyes after this came to light

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
NHL Brass: "Tim, that was really dumb, you're making us all look bad, we know you're retiring in a month, but we're going to have to let you go right now"
Tim: "I'm fine not working another game but you're still paying me or i go to the press"
NHL: "of course"

there's no way he's losing a cent out of this, he's just getting a month of paid vacay

More likely he won't write the book he was planning.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
A large part of my NHL fandom died during the Blues cup final due to the egregious officiating. Don't know how many times I have posted that it goes far beyond incompetence. Shit is straight up rigged like the NBA. Hopefully more people open their eyes after this came to light
the NBA isn't rigged...

name the last time an NBA Ref had his name on his uniform like the NHL Did for years

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Its not like Peel's a Tim Donaghy.

Hockey's been called like this for as long as I can remember. Make-up calls, weak calls against the team that's ahead, stars getting more leeway than tough guys. Nothing new. To me its the toughest game to call. Maybe they should go back to the one ref system for more consistency. But I'm sure that would lead to many more missed calls.

One ref- they miss enough anyway with two, but also we get more ticky tack calls. One ref and ban the f***ers from managing games. That is not their job or it shouldn't be. Call it down the line. I think we all as fans can live with some missed calls or bad calls, and are okay with these guys being human and making mistakes and a little inconsistent.

Reactions: BMC

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Everyone, and I mean everyone, knows this is a thing in refereeing. To different degrees at all different levels of every single sport. The issue is, there's rarely "hard evidence".

I am somewhat doubtful anything is going to come from it (other than a really lame one or two game suspension), but there's no better time than now to make an example of someone and set a precedent for the better of the game.

That being said, we could obviously go even deeper and question whether the NHL is directly encouraging its officials to "even out" calls.

Campbell already said he will not be doing anymore games now or in future.Now get rid of Rooney we are on to something

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
the NBA isn't rigged...

name the last time an NBA Ref had his name on his uniform like the NHL Did for years
Perhaps rigged is a bit strong. Referees with clear agendas who exert their powerful, sometimes game-deciding influence are rampant in both leagues. And it greatly detracts from the product.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Nothing will change, sadly. It is a league problem, not a ref problem. If Peel was like this, it is only because the league let him be that way for a long career. This is nothing new, he just got caught on mic embarrassing himself and the NHL. If the goal of the refs were to call a game, not 'manage' it, it would be different, but I think the message from the NHL will have to change. Let the players play, call them as you see them and let the chips fall where they may.

It used to be that the officials "managed" the games because if it got too lopsided there was a 99% chance that the losing team was going to do some bad shit. That element is not as pervasive in today's game. Even 10 years ago, I cannot imagine the Flyers losing 9-0 to the Rangers and there being only one penalty called in the third period.

Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
IMO you can't really be upset the way the Blues series was called when you look back at the cup win vs. Canucks. We did the same type of shit that went uncalled and loved every minute of it.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Not surprising at all. Peel stood out as poor in almost every single game he worked. I'm glad he's gone. It's long overdue.

I think most refs are prone to make-up calls, to a degree, but Peel judged the game so poorly he was always off-kilter.

Extra treat....he runs the Tim Peel Referee Camp.
It's for people with 20/200 eyesight who are interested in being a National Hockey League Referee.
So that's nice.
It's like he was spawning like an alien.

He might have been retiring soon, but man....it's sure going to hurt his ref camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad