NHL Tim Peel fired

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Everyone, and I mean everyone, knows this is a thing in refereeing. To different degrees at all different levels of every single sport. The issue is, there's rarely "hard evidence".

I am somewhat doubtful anything is going to come from it (other than a really lame one or two game suspension), but there's no better time than now to make an example of someone and set a precedent for the better of the game.

That being said, we could obviously go even deeper and question whether the NHL is directly encouraging its officials to "even out" calls.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
He has to go- if he won't quit the NHL absolutely needs to fire him.

IMO there has long been a need to reform officiating in this league. Maybe this will prod Bettman into doing something. :crossfing

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
The two-ref system hasn't worked, I've been saying that for 20 years now. I'll never understand why they want two people officiating whose roles are 100% identical. There should of been some division of labour between Ref #1 and Ref#2 so they aren't directly competing with each other to make calls.

It has always driven me crazy when one ref close by lets something go but the ref 20 feet away calls it. :pullhair:

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
dafc6aff5df21d0a74a05298892a962e.png

Reactions: nORRis8 and JCRO

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Don’t be too excited that the NHL is getting tough. Peel was scheduled to retire and ref his last game in exactly one month. So, basically, all he loses is maybe one month’s pay (while getting one month’s vacation), and perhaps some cake and tiny trash thrown at him by other refs in the break room. And the obligatory snark from whatever PxP is covering his last game when they would have shown the graphic celebrating his last game.

The NHL statement avoids words like “fired/suspended/dismissed”, so he probably gets all his retirement stuff. And, legally, that may be very difficult to take away from him.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Great. Absolutely the right thing to do.

Now do something serious about the rest of your officials and the officiating culture.
WON'T HAPPEN

do you want amateur officials working pro games, no matter the league..... remember the Devils fiasco that happened back in the late 80s where amateur officials almost worked a Stanley Cup playoff.

Peel's just the latest one who got caught..... Remember Schoenfeld's tirade against Don Koharski which went along the lines of the Donut Ref

Top Shelf Wrister

Jan 16, 2017
Don’t be too excited that the NHL is getting tough. Peel was scheduled to retire and ref his last game in exactly one month. So, basically, all he loses is maybe one month’s pay (while getting one month’s vacation), and perhaps some cake and tiny trash thrown at him by other refs in the break room. And the obligatory snark from whatever PxP is covering his last game when they would have shown the graphic celebrating his last game.

The NHL statement avoids words like “fired/suspended/dismissed”, so he probably gets all his retirement stuff. And, legally, that may be very difficult to take away from him.
Yeah but it stains his legacy and bill of work. I mean we always THOUGHT this but now we have confirmation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad