Line Combos: This years PowerPlay

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
So looking back at last years powerplay I feel like it is fair to say that it was probably the biggest reason why we didn't make the playoffs, especially earlier in the year. Our powerplay was downright abysmal and we can not have a repeat this season. With a lot of turnover in the roster, potentially some new prospects joining the fold. What combinations would you like to see the Blues try this year? What system would you like to see Bannister and the coaching staff implement? I think a safe assumption that our playoff hopes can be crushed by another slow start to the PP.

Snubbed4Vezina

Jul 9, 2022
So looking back at last years powerplay I feel like it is fair to say that it was probably the biggest reason why we didn't make the playoffs, especially earlier in the year. Our powerplay was downright abysmal and we can not have a repeat this season. With a lot of turnover in the roster, potentially some new prospects joining the fold. What combinations would you like to see the Blues try this year? What system would you like to see Bannister and the coaching staff implement? I think a safe assumption that our playoff hopes can be crushed by another slow start to the PP.
Neighbours-Buch-Kyrou
Thomas-Faulk

Neighbours goes to work in front after the faceoff. Everything runs through Thomas. Our PP improved greatly once Thomas moved to the point. Perunovich could see time with the first unit but who knows if he's going to have a role on the team this season.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Neighbours-Buch-Kyrou
Thomas-Faulk

Neighbours goes to work in front after the faceoff. Everything runs through Thomas. Our PP improved greatly once Thomas moved to the point. Perunovich could see time with the first unit but who knows if he's going to have a role on the team this season.
Those are the forwards I'd want for the 1st unit. The D is certainly up in the air, I could see any of Broberg, Faulk, or Perunovich slotting in there. Going to be interesting to see how it pans out in camp.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Neighbours-Buch-Kyrou
Thomas-Faulk

I like the idea of Thomas at the point and Neighbours as the net front. Do we use Buchnevich as bumper in a 2-1-2? Also what about the 2nd unit? I think Schenn and Saad are for sure in the unit but who do we fill it out with? Holloway? Texier? Do we run two D on the 2nd unit?

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I like the idea of Thomas at the point and Neighbours as the net front. Do we use Buchnevich as bumper in a 2-1-2? Also what about the 2nd unit? I think Schenn and Saad are for sure in the unit but who do we fill it out with? Holloway? Texier? Do we run two D on the 2nd unit?
I’d have Bolduc on the 2nd unit with Saad and Schenn up front. This is of course assuming he makes the team but I think his shot and skill would be an asset there.

Likely Broberg on the point and I’m not sure who he’d be partnered with since I don’t have Perunovich in my starting lineup. I guess it would be him and Parayko.

Neighbours-Buchnevich-Kyrou
Thomas-Faulk

Saad-Schenn-Bolduc
Broberg-Parayko

I’d be cool with those units to start. I think that’s putting our best skill on display. Holloway is the next man up if we want to go with 4 forwards on the 2nd unit too, and Parayko would be out.

Reactions: Shwabeal

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I’d have Bolduc on the 2nd unit with Saad and Schenn up front. This is of course assuming he makes the team but I think his shot and skill would be an asset there.

Likely Broberg on the point and I’m not sure who he’d be partnered with since I don’t have Perunovich in my starting lineup. I guess it would be him and Parayko.

Neighbours-Buchnevich-Kyrou
Thomas-Faulk

Saad-Schenn-Bolduc
Broberg-Parayko

I’d be cool with those units to start. I think that’s putting our best skill on display. Holloway is the next man up if we want to go with 4 forwards on the 2nd unit too, and Parayko would be out.

I like those units but am a little wary of having two right hand shots on the point on PP one. I do think Thomas is skilled enough to QB on his offside but it does limit him on shot selection from that spot.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I like those units but am a little wary of having two right hand shots on the point on PP one. I do think Thomas is skilled enough to QB on his offside but it does limit him on shot selection from that spot.
If Faulk is on the PP he should be on the left wall for the shot in Perron's old spot, he isn't very good at all on the blue line on a PP

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
What are the chances we run 7 d and 11 forwards with Peru getting PP unit 1 time. (If not on unit 1, then I wouldn't run 7 D as there really is no reason).

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Those are the forwards I'd want for the 1st unit. The D is certainly up in the air, I could see any of Broberg, Faulk, or Perunovich slotting in there. Going to be interesting to see how it pans out in camp.
If Peru is in lineup I expect he will be on 1st and Faulk likely on 2nd. And I think there is reasonable chance that Suter and Peru are our 3rd pairing with Peru on off side. We all assume it will be Kessel there, but Peru is comfortable on off side (he can’t defend either side so it’s not as big an issue) and I suspect 3ld is suter’s to lose. I’d prefer to see Kessel in lineup but he is going to have to earn that spot; Peru pp skill may be big part of why he takes it.

Last edited:
Reactions: joe galiba

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
If Peru is in lineup IHe will be on 1st and Faulk likely on 2nd. And I think there is reasonable chance that Suter and Peru are our 3rd pairing with Peru on off side. We all assume it will be Kessel there, but Peru is comfortable on off side (he can’t defend either side so it’s not as big an issue) and I suspect 3ld is supers to lose. I’d prefer to see Kessel in lineup but he is going to have to earn that spot; Peru pp skill may be big part of why he takes it.

It's possible but we have been putting Peru on the LD when we could. Since Kessel was called up, he was healthy scratched once and Peru 9 times. I think Kessel passed Peru on the depth chart. I think barring a much bigger leap from Peru vs Kessel, Kessel is still ahead on depth chart for RD spot.

I think Broberg is Pp1. We made an aggressive move to get him. There are no prohibitions or unwritten rules against Offer sheets, but they are still rare. It was expensive overpaying for Broberg. We are going to give him every chance to grow and Blossom into top D and that includes PP time.

Reactions: blueper

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
It's possible but we have been putting Peru on the LD when we could. Since Kessel was called up, he was healthy scratched once and Peru 9 times. I think Kessel passed Peru on the depth chart. I think barring a much bigger leap from Peru vs Kessel, Kessel is still ahead on depth chart for RD spot.

I think Broberg is Pp1. We made an aggressive move to get him. There are no prohibitions or unwritten rules against Offer sheets, but they are still rare. It was expensive overpaying for Broberg. We are going to give him every chance to grow and Blossom into top D and that includes PP time.
Is Broberg a PP guy?
all the breakdowns of his skillset that I have read doesn't make it seem like he would be great at it
he had 28 PP points in 87 games in the AHL
for comparison, Perunovich had 21 PP points in 39 AHL games

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Personally for the 1st unit I'd like them to run

Kyrou - Neighbors - Buch
Broberg - Thomas

And have the PP run almost entirely through Thomas, Thomas/Buch taking the draws but that being the setup. The issue is i'm not sure if Kyrou has a great 1 timer, but that at least gives us the option of a shooting threat on that side.

For the second group I'd have

Some combination of Saad, Schenn, Holloway, Texier , and Faulk. Let Faulk be the shooting threat from the right side, and Saad, Schenn and Holloway hawk pucks down.

Is Broberg a PP guy?
all the breakdowns of his skillset that I have read doesn't make it seem like he would be great at it

I think that's something you need to figure out this year and have the opportunity to do so. If we don't make the playoffs this year it's not a huge deal. But if Broberg has more than he's shown so far that's a huge boost to our timeline.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Is Broberg a PP guy?

I agree with what Bleedblue said. He might not be a PP guy now, but we want him to grow into the role. He has a better shot than Perunovich. He just doesn't skate the line or pass as well.

Perunovich is a better option on the PP now, but not a better option anywhere else over anyone else. I thinkwith trying to develop Broberg and trying not play Perunovich 5-on-5 gives Broberg the edge. But we will definitely mix things up throughout the year

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I don’t see broberg as pp guy. Not now maybe not ever. Pk yes. 20+ min and a defensive stopper in time? Yes. Pp, I am skeptical.

Reactions: joe galiba

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Another thought, I think the D picked for the 1st unit should depend on the strategy. If the plan is for Thomas to be the de facto QB, I’d prefer not to run Perunovich as I think a D with a better shot would be the more ideal fit.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
What about giving Kessell the spot? He played it in college prior to Morrow arriving and was very productive.

We have seen much out of him due to him focusing his d game and not making mistakes.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I don’t see broberg as pp guy. Not now maybe not ever. Pk yes. 20+ min and a defensive stopper in time? Yes. Pp, I am skeptical.

I'd agree but Perunovich is not a guy you want in the lineup long term. If Broberg is going to be a big piece, you want him to develop those skills. Perunovich doesn't have a shot to be elite PP. Without being elite, he is not worth the downside in the lineup. Maybe Peru can develop the shot still, but I'd rather focus on Broberg.

As a caveat, I do not think a good PpQB is important as a good defender. I've run #s and made the argument several times. Even sheltered having Krug ir Peru in the lineup hurts on 5v5 more than it helps on PP

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I don’t know that I would want him as the QB but I think his skating would be an awesome weapon on a pp unit that focuses on down low pressure. Assuming we stop the whole “stand around watching the puck” thing. Maybe Buch down low with Kyrou and Bro picking gaps. That could be fun to watch.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
Is Broberg a PP guy?
I'm seeing 38 pts in 49 AHL games for Broberg last season.
I think he definitely gets every chance to prove it one way or the other.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I'm seeing 38 pts in 49 AHL games for Broberg last season.
I think he definitely gets every chance to prove it one way or the other.
not on the power play, he only had 28 power play points across 87 games in the AHL
if he is not wracking up PP points as their top defenseman prospect, I have my doubts as to him suddenly being a stud at it in the NHL (although it would be awesome if it happened)

Reactions: blueper

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Is Broberg a PP guy?

One of the articles I posted in the original offer sheet thread said that he has the potential to be a PP guy. He's got a good shot apparently so he'd need to have decent passing and puck moving skills. The articles were written by people who cover the Oilers.

If Peru is in the lineup, he'll get first shot but it's certainly no given he'll be in the lineup every night. Then it comes down to Faulk, Parayko, Broberg or even Leddy.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
One of the articles I posted in the original offer sheet thread said that he has the potential to be a PP guy. He's got a good shot apparently so he'd need to have decent passing and puck moving skills. The articles were written by people who cover the Oilers.

If Peru is in the lineup, he'll get first shot but it's certainly no given he'll be in the lineup every night. Then it comes down to Faulk, Parayko, Broberg or even Leddy.

maybe we can get a future considerations for Perunovich. I would take it at this point.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020

when I watch someone like Krug, or any of the best guys at running a power play, they are able to manipulate the defenders using small changes in position with dekes and edgework to create openings for passes and shots for themselves and their teammates, plus the ability make the good decisions on what to do with the puck
if you are a great passer or have a great shot and cannot create an opportunity to use them it does you no good

Reactions: Reality Czech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad