Post-Game Talk: This is the end

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Was this season a success?

• Total voters

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Well if that's his one chance he kind of blew it
But did he really? It was Stu Skinner that shit the bed in game 3 causing the Oilers to be down 3 games to none and requiring 4W's in a row.

If Skinner is even reasonable in game 3 and doesn't absolutely hand the Panthers a goal we win that game, and we possibly take series in 6 games.

In a 7 game series can't look at just what went down in game 7. There were antecedents to why we even were stretched to game 7 in a series where we were the better club the last 5 games of series.

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
Drai was 70% on the dot in a game 7 with a broken finger and multiple other injuries that are going to be revealed. 3X in game he walked defenders, Several times he made excellent strips to maintain Ozone pressure. Several other times he was making power moves into zone and to dangerous areas. The reality though is he spent much of the game with guys like Holloway and Foegele. I would've at least put henrique up on wing with him. Something to try.

All the punters that just weeks ago that said "please stop me if I ever Blame Drai again" are doing it again. Could see he's going to be the pincushion all offseason.

Can't wait for all the Let him walk posts which will be coming soon.
Well said

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
we are going to lose players, and I hope some of the young kids watching take the opportunity, like Lavoie, borgealt etc. and run with it.

this will sting, and they'll want it more...inch by inch.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
But did he really? It was Stu Skinner that shit the bed in game 3 causing the Oilers to be down 3 games to none and requiring 4W's in a row.

If Skinner is even reasonable in game 3 and doesn't absolutely hand the Panthers a goal we win that game, and we possibly take series in 6 games.

In a 7 game series can't look at just what went down in game 7. There were antecedents to why we even were stretched to game 7 in a series where we were the better club the last 5 games of series.
I put more of this on guys like Nurse who were worse than Skinner all playoffs and don’t have the benefit of being cheap and young.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Respectable run considering what the team went through this year, although completely self inflicted. My worry is them not actually learning from this and we see a non hitting cutesy pass party in the playoffs for years to come. With the players wondering how it keeps going wrong.

Reactions: Oilhawks

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Just like 2006, you could see off the starting face off.....opposing team wanted it more, and went for it.
we build from this...now they know what it takes to win and hopefully learn from it.

Yeah, unlike the 2006 team we should be pushing for a run like this every year. 2006 was a team riding underdog energy and loads of luck with the bottom 4 taking out the top 4 in the west in the first round. Barely any truly elite players, maybe only 2 and one got injured in the final and he only had a year or 2 of magic in him anyways.

We have 3 offensive stars right now that any GM would kill to have, and any properly managed team would be challenging for pres trophys every year with. Most would only need the 2 C's, but we have a D too on that level.

If Jackson can get management right like he did coaching, we will be back, very soon, with home ice in the finals. If we get another Holland ... I don't wanna think about that.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
At some point the NHL needs to determine what is acceptable in regards to interference. Hard to score a goal with someone hanging off you. And there was interference both ways but in the 3rd I thought it was out of hand what was being allowed. Oh well last ref rant of the year, boys made it interesting. Somewhat depressing that they couldn't pull it off.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
Again, I’m not a fan of it going to a player from the losing team. This goes back to when Hextall stole one from us. I probably would even have been fine with McDavid still winning it if he had provided some offence tonight in a loss but he didn’t. Ending the series going pointless in two games, to me, changes the narrative from what it was after game 5.

Again, I’m not a fan of it going to a player from the losing team. This goes back to when Hextall stole one from us. I probably would even have been fine with McDavid still winning it if he had provided some offence tonight in a loss but he didn’t. Ending the series going pointless in two games, to me, changes the narrative from what it was after game 5.
He still deserved it more than anyone on the ice. Dude is setting records that haven't and won't be touched in decades... Bobrovsky or barkov probably deserved it 3 games ago. It's something you will rarely ever see in your life, a player from the losing team winning the CS. Just goes to show how lucky we are to be living through the mcdavid era of hockey. Just hope we get to watch him with the trophy that matters soon

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
Well, just got back from the watch party. Sigh. When your offence comes from Ceci and Janmark, you probably aren’t going to win. The guys tried hard, but in the end Flordai did what they needed to do win.

With about 5 minutes left in the second period it occurred to me how much this felt like game 7 in 06. Never really out of the game but at no time did I feel they were about to take the game by the throat. In many ways the series were parallels too.

As we look ahead there will be much discussion about who stays and who goes, but one thing is the team sort of backed their way into too many series this year, getting better as they went. Problem is against a good team that hole just got too deep. It’s also the way they tend to play too many hockey games, so going forward learning to impose their will I think will be a key to winning.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
So much has to go right to win the Stanley Cup. There is no guarantee that this team will get this far next season.

Absolutely depressed.
This is why I hate loving hockey and baseball. My wife doesn’t get it, she’s never played a minute of any kind of competitive sport in her life. She doesn’t know what it feels like to be that close to being a champion and have it go all for not. In my younger years (teens & young adult) I played a ton of ball. We lost in the provincial championships one year, the semis the year after and we fell apart in the round robin of my final year of midget. I played a year of senior men’s ball and went to the league championship to lose that one too before moving away for school. Now it’s just beer league slow pitch. So when she says stupid shit like “Oh well it’s just a game. They’ll be back next year.” She has no f***ing clue and I don’t care who says it, it pisses me right the f*** off when people say stuff like that. Because you might only get that one shot. And even if you do get another shot, there’s another team opposite you who wants it just as bad.

It doesn’t help. It doesn’t encourage. It makes it worse, for me anyways.

Life, death, and getting f***ed in every orifice you have with taxes are the only guarantees you get.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I put more of this on guys like Nurse who were worse than Skinner all playoffs and don’t have the benefit of being cheap and young.
On a payscale I sure wouldn't argue with that. haha.

Nurse needs to be better. its just that people shit on McDrai all the time when really all of McDrai, Hyman, Booch were legend just getting us this far.

I mean this speaks to who were top producers in playoffs.

For Drai particularly though his wingers weren't good enough in playoffs. He had a lot of work to do propping up not ready for Topsix players in this postseason. Really it seems regular with him to have the leftover wingers.

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
The only thing worse than losing Klefbom (pur best defenseman by far) was panicking and overpaying Nurse because he was our second best defenseman when this team was still miles away from being a contender lol now we have a 9 million dollar third pairing dman who's supposed to be one of the leaders on this team.

oilers4life5

Nov 6, 2007
City of Champions
Yep. Panthers got away with interference, hooking, holding, and slashing every single shift. That’s why McDavid and the others “didn’t show up”. It wasn’t some great defensive masterclass by the Panthers. They even ran Skinner a few times. Dirty piece of shit cheating team. Skill didn’t win the game. Cheating did, and the refs allowed it. Why am I not surprised.
Perfectly said.

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
On a payscale I sure wouldn't argue with that. haha.

Nurse needs to be better. its just that people shit on McDrai all the time when really all of McDrai, Hyman, Booch were legend just getting us this far.

I mean this speaks to who were top producers in playoffs.

For Drai particularly though his wingers weren't good enough in playoffs. He had a lot of work to do propping up not ready for Topsix players in this postseason. Really it seems regular with him to have the leftover wingers.
Nurses contract is going to prevent Draisaitl from ever having competent wingers. Holloway looked good for a few games but he isn’t a top 6 player. At least not yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad