This is how to get their attention and let them know that we want change!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

caff3in3

Apr 1, 2014
Hi all,

I am a long time Leaf fan and bleed blue every day. I have been a leafs fan ever since I lived in Toronto when I was a kid. A friend of mine won tickets to go skating with the leafs when I was 12 and I have been hooked ever since! I went skating with Rob Ramage, Brad Marsh, Gary Leeman, etc to give you an idea of how long I have been a leafs fan.

I think we can all agree that it is frustrating being a leafs fan. We seem to be spinning our wheels every year with frustrating finish after frustrating finish. I think one of the problems is that MLSE doesn't NEED to have the leafs be competitive in order to remain the most profitable team in the NHL. This leads to changes but not the type of change that will produce a cup contender or even a consistent playoff contender.

How can we get their attention and let them know that we, as fans, mean business and expect and end to the mediocrity? I have an idea. I think it is a great idea that a friend of mine mentioned the other day. It will get their attention and is something which would get a LOT of publicity if there is enough interest in making it happen.

Here is what we do. On Saturday night, everyone in the ACC leaves their seats and watches the second period from the concourse. Imagine a barren ACC for an entire period. Imagine management looking down from their box and seeing nothing but empty seats. Imagine the national broadcast panning around during the second period and seeing nothing but empty seats. This is our way to SHOUT that WE WANT CHANGE. WE WANT A TEAM TO BE PROUD OF!

Please share this post on Facebook. Share this post on other boards. Share this on Twitter. Send this to any media contacts you have. With social media, we have the ability to make this happen!

Thanks for reading.

Disgruntled leafs fan.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
This has been brought up before in the past. It's great in theory, but it would never be able to be put into practice realistically.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
This feels like something Kramer would try to do on Seinfeld, all the while Jerry stands there saying sarcastically, "Yeah, this will end well"

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I remember about the organized "fan strike" outside the ACC where 6 guys showed up.

DaveT83*

1. Describe to anyone willing to listen your disgust for this franchise.
2. STOP Buying merchandise.
3. Cancel your Leaf's TV account
4. If you work for MLSE in any capacity - quit.
5. If you have pre-purchased tickets for upcoming games make your disdain vocal.

Diminishing the BRAND should be priority number 1.

Collectively - we have more power then they could ever dream of.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Leafs are like an addiction. It's time for a twleve step program or find another poison.
:(

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
As a guys who's family has seasons since the 80s (now split them with my brother). No one will cancel there tickets, you can sell them for more than you paid.

-leafs money strength really comes from its local TV deal, 750,000/game. That is there for another 4 years. Kick in the new Rogers TV deal, and boxes that are often signed for multi years they will be profitable mo matter what.

2 months ago people loved this team, and had no problem with kessel/phaneuf being here long term even if it meant being capped out. They will look to improve, I don't know why people think protesting will accelerate this process? A new guy is in charge, he wants winners but seems rational about it.

If you really want to protest there is just one thing you can do: WAFFLES

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hi all,

I am a long time Leaf fan and bleed blue every day. I have been a leafs fan ever since I lived in Toronto when I was a kid. A friend of mine won tickets to go skating with the leafs when I was 12 and I have been hooked ever since! I went skating with Rob Ramage, Brad Marsh, Gary Leeman, etc to give you an idea of how long I have been a leafs fan.

I think we can all agree that it is frustrating being a leafs fan. We seem to be spinning our wheels every year with frustrating finish after frustrating finish. I think one of the problems is that MLSE doesn't NEED to have the leafs be competitive in order to remain the most profitable team in the NHL. This leads to changes but not the type of change that will produce a cup contender or even a consistent playoff contender.

How can we get their attention and let them know that we, as fans, mean business and expect and end to the mediocrity? I have an idea. I think it is a great idea that a friend of mine mentioned the other day. It will get their attention and is something which would get a LOT of publicity if there is enough interest in making it happen.

Here is what we do. On Saturday night, everyone in the ACC leaves their seats and watches the second period from the concourse. Imagine a barren ACC for an entire period. Imagine management looking down from their box and seeing nothing but empty seats. Imagine the national broadcast panning around during the second period and seeing nothing but empty seats. This is our way to SHOUT that WE WANT CHANGE. WE WANT A TEAM TO BE PROUD OF!

Please share this post on Facebook. Share this post on other boards. Share this on Twitter. Send this to any media contacts you have. With social media, we have the ability to make this happen!

Thanks for reading.

Disgruntled leafs fan.

Sounds good. What section are you in on Saturday?

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Hi all,

Thanks for reading.

Disgruntled leafs fan.

You see, this argument falls apart when you realize the Leafs would make more money if they were successful. Like A LOT more.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Lately it has been punishment wether you attend a game or not.

Poor results for sure but I've been entertained. Last dull game I attended was Columbus a month ago.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
How many gates?
Get that many people on board and hand out a well made flyer as they walk in. Along with using social media to your advantage.

There are too many "event fans" rather than "true fans" that go to the game because it is a game (business, bring the kids, blah blah) But I think it would be cool if we got everyone on board.

Handing out flyers at the gate with instructions and letting them know you aren't just a random dude .....I.e (number amount) of likes on fb and amount supporting it.

I think you could get a following.

IF I had ticks and knew everyone was gunna stand up and walk to the concourse at 10min mark of the second period...no matter the score....I would do it

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This will really work!

*cough*

Seriously though, the only thing that seems to work is chants. Think of a few chants, like Fire this guy or let's go Raptors, or whatever that's poignant, and then try to get the crowd behind you.

The 'Fire Wilson' chants was enough for Burke to finally pull the plug, and he admitted that he couldn't let Wilson live through the embarassment. The 'Let's go Blue Jays' always gets some traction in the news.

You'll never get people to leave their seats in a middle of a game, especially when some people worked hard to buy those tickets, brought their young ones to it, etc. It's just not do-able, as much as you think it's a good idea. It will never work.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone really believe that Dave Nonis and company aren't angry that this team is losing?

Does anyone really believe that they're turning down opportunities to win?

ForSpareParts*

This is like a flash mob in reverse idea, instead of showing up they disappear.

New Mind Space

Lame lame lame.

I love how fans think that they can work against management/ownership. Like the owners and managers want to lose. We lost a whole boat load of coaches and managers (starting with Quinn) in the last decade. All of it having to do with a lack of results.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Does anyone really believe that Dave Nonis and company aren't angry that this team is losing?

Does anyone really believe that they're turning down opportunities to win?

Some people actually believe the Leaf would rather lose then win.

It's sad.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It's not that we think Nonis, Owners and CO. don't want to win. Or that us doing it will actually change something.

It's a good way to get noticed and say "Hey, we are pissed....we aren't gunna just sit here and take it on the chin....we have a voice too."

If anything it's just a ploy to get the media stirring about the Leafs, us as fans and what has management done for us.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
We must have all, or many of us, taken a journalism course in school, or a media course, or one of those classes, where, when they were discussing media and communciations, we learned the phrase "if it bleeds, it leads".

This goes back to selling newspapers, but, really, simply, to selling news and I wonder if this relates a bit to the OP idea of MLSE not having any incentive or reason for a winning hockey team. I don't think they would make more money for their investors if the team was winnning, (though, playoffs must provide a lot of revenue, though, their revenue is soooo much that maybe that doens't matter).

The constant drama of losing and constantly being let down, in a way, is analagous to a 'if it bleeds, it leads" storyline.

So, in short, there's no reason to provide any happy endings since they don't sell as well as bad endings. Applying this theory, it becomes a bit more plausable to make sense of the some of the deals that managment endorses - deals, that often seem to have tragedy written all over them from the beginning.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That's great that you were entertained but some of us actually want to see this team win a Cup at least once in our lives.

It's not my fault.

What changes if I say I had a miserable time?

Mar 14, 2011
The "Fire Wilson! Fire Burke!" chant prior to Wilson getting fired worked before, so maybe some ought to start a "Fire Nonis! Fire Carlyle!" chant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad