This is going to sound absolutely insane but hear me out

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Spreading the wealth into 3 strong lines makes a ton of sense. I liked Kerfoot more than most, but it's pretty sad that he was the best player out 3rd line had since Kadri.

Putting Matthews with Robertson and Jarnkrokorwhoeverelse would be a great move.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Just because Matthews is capable of carrying a line doesn’t mean you leave him with none of our high end forward as line mates. It’s important to put Matthews in a position to have the most success he can because when he’s going (as with marner and nylander as well), so goes the team.
Exactly.

The Leafs could still build 3 solid lines and have one of Marner or Nylander play with Matthews.

Every goalscorer has played with an elite playmaker when they set their career highs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
i would go more with

robertdon-domi-marner
knies-Matthews-Jarnkrok
robertson-Domi-Marner

So you just wouldn't play your #2 center who is over a PPG?

Spreading the wealth into 3 strong lines makes a ton of sense. I liked Kerfoot more than most, but it's pretty sad that he was the best player out 3rd line had since Kadri.

Putting Matthews with Robertson and Jarnkrokorwhoeverelse would be a great move.

What has Robertson done to earn that opportunity?

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Exactly.

The Leafs could still build 3 solid lines and have one of Marner or Nylander play with Matthews.

Every goalscorer has played with an elite playmaker when they set their career highs.
Matty is a unique goalscorer and doesn't seem to benefit from a Marner/Backstrom type as much as a traditional sniper - perhaps because he's a center, but you'll also notice his goals lean more to 5v5 than PP comparably.

Ovi is a system player and fairly predictable but makes it work anyways. Matty is at his best when hes opportunistic and unpredictable.

It's unfortunate our superstars don't seem like perfect fits together. The best pairing, as far as 1 + 1 = 3, seems to be JT and Marner. Matty also isn't a Crosby type where scrubs are fine, he needs players that can keep up against the best all on their own. I'd keep Matty and Willy together on line one and hope they build chemistry - has been looking good recently.

Spreading talent across three lines is typically not the best way to do it, and you rarely see this strategy with star players.

Reactions: Jojalu

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
You'll never see Keefe do anything so radical as split up the pampered millionaires that form the core of this team.

If there is any other chemistry in this lineup we'll never know. Keefe has tied his cart to the four stud horses that carry it. Continuing to make questionable deployment strategies based around them.

Like getting Kampf to start overtime ahead of, well, anyone that can score.

Keefe is a dead coach walking. It's not a matter of "if" but "when". This train wreck has almost run it's course.

Keefe is gonna go down as the dumbest coach this team ever had.

A brain dead pigeon could have gotten the same results. So hard to believe someone touted as being progressive when he was hired could be so damn stubborn. He keeps making the same stupid mistakes over and over again without trying anything new.

Unsurprisingly the results have remained the same too.

Reactions: TMLife17

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
Matty is a unique goalscorer and doesn't seem to benefit from a Marner/Backstrom type as much as a traditional sniper - perhaps because he's a center, but you'll also notice his goals lean more to 5v5 than PP comparably.

Ovi is a system player and fairly predictable but makes it work anyways. Matty is at his best when hes opportunistic and unpredictable.

It's unfortunate our superstars don't seem like perfect fits together. The best pairing, as far as 1 + 1 = 3, seems to be JT and Marner. Matty also isn't a Crosby type where scrubs are fine, he needs players that can keep up against the best all on their own. I'd keep Matty and Willy together on line one and hope they build chemistry - has been looking good recently.

Spreading talent across three lines is typically not the best way to do it, and you rarely see this strategy with star players.
Most of Matt's goals have come from mitch's assists

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi

Most of Matt's goals have come from mitch's assists

matthews 5v5 goal-pts / goal/60- pts/60
2016 30- 12 /1.63- 2.77
2017 26-19 /1.64 - 2.87
2018 23-24 / 1.63 - 2.86
2019 30 15 / 1.69 - 2.88
2020 28-16 / 1.74 - 3.06
2021 38-28 / 1.67 - 3.08
2022 26-26 / 1.46 - 2.85
2023 10-8 / 1.8 - 3.25

whatever with who Matthews played

marner-bunting/ nylander-bunting/ hyman-marner/ hyman-nylander/ hyman -brown / marleau-kapanen

or whatever... basically Matthews pratically always producing at a similar rate. if you removinf his rookie season, the difference between his best and his worst season is like 1 pts every 15 game he played. Did he really need to play with elite player or its just a need we created this need ourself?!?!

Last edited:

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Well judging by how tonight's game went, Maybe my lines idea wasn't as crazy as I thought. LOL.

Domi was absolute garbage tonight and that third line got absolutely dummied pretty much every single time they were on the ice. Matthews definitely would have helped with his size.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Well judging by how tonight's game went, Maybe my lines idea wasn't as crazy as I thought. LOL.

Domi was absolute garbage tonight and that third line got absolutely dummied pretty much every single time they were on the ice. Matthews definitely would have helped with his size.
Domi won't be the third line centre for this team in game 1 of the first round.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
matthews 5v5 goal-pts / goal/60- pts/60
2016 30- 12 /1.63- 2.77
2017 26-19 /1.64 - 2.87
2018 23-24 / 1.63 - 2.86
2019 30 15 / 1.69 - 2.88
2020 28-16 / 1.74 - 3.06
2021 38-28 / 1.67 - 3.08
2022 26-26 / 1.46 - 2.85
2023 10-8 / 1.8 - 3.25

whatever with who Matthews played

marner-bunting/ nylander-bunting/ hyman-marner/ hyman-nylander/ hyman -brown / marleau-kapanen

or whatever... basically Matthews pratically always producing at a similar rate. if you removinf his rookie season, the difference between his best and his worst season is like 1 pts every 15 game he played. Did he really need to play with elite player or its just a need we created this need ourself?!?!

AM is an elite goal scorer and C. He can score his own goals so long as he has proper linemates. He does not need anything exceptional to produce. He actually plays better when he knows he has to carry. He is fine letting others carry. Almost too relaxed for how good he is.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

This might come as a surprise to you but Matthews is a more efficient powerplay scorer than Ovechkin

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
This might come as a surprise to you but Matthews is a more efficient powerplay scorer than Ovechkin
I suppose it would, like ppg/TOI?

I just noted that Matty leans more to 5v5 goals than traditional snipers to support a wider discussion.
Matty 74%
Ovi 63%
Stammer 61%

Reactions: authentic

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yep, if Matthews had over 5 minutes of powerplay time every game just imagine his numbers.

AM is worth his contract and price of admission. If the team could get their heads straight on what supporting players are worth, heck we may even become a contender.

Everything to do with what we have accomplished to date, has 0 to do with AM and everything to do with the JT MM contracts, that along with never putting the time and money into D. and G.

Essentially a Shanny / Dubas total failure to capitalize on the best scorer in the league. I think finally we are turning the corner in total fan understanding that we were right all along.

Reactions: TMLife17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad