Therrien - New Season Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Well since it's quote hour, I have a quote too!

I love this quote, because it put a serious dent in the idea of Therrien being the greatest motivator ever. It also take a good jab at the team being some kind of defensive Juggernaut.

Also Price's teammates realize he goes above and beyond the call of duty more often than not.

That's a classic example of seeing what you want to see.

You think that quote pus a dent in the idea of Therrien being a great motivator? That quote has absolutely nothing to do with Michel Therrien.

It's a quote about how much respect Carey Price has in that room and what a great player he is. To pretend it's something else is hilariously transparent.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
In post 186 I provide you with a link.

30th in shots when he was fired.
22nd (not 26th as I stated earlier) in shots against
Pits went top ten in shots for and against after he was replaced.

The link is there and I even put the quote in for you. I'm not sure what more you're looking for.

Pits never went top 10 in either category, they were in the top of the league during the last stretch of the season. Just like Ottawa on a stretch last season when they were something like 20-1-0, will you say that they went 1st in the league??? My god you're so dishonest...

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
That's a classic example of seeing what you want to see.

You think that quote pus a dent in the idea of Therrien being a great motivator? That quote has absolutely nothing to do with Michel Therrien.

It's a quote about how much respect Carey Price has in that room and what a great player he is. To pretend it's something else is hilariously transparent.

That's a classic example of trying to shift the goalpost.

I give you the proof that the players are willing to go the extra mile for Price. Give me the proof that they are willing to do the same for Therrien.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Pits never went top 10 in either category, they were in the top of the league during the last stretch of the season. Just like Ottawa on a stretch last season when they were something like 20-1-0, will you say that they went 1st in the league??? My god you're so dishonest...
?????? What in the world are you talking about?

I said that when Byslma took over that season they were top ten in both shots for and against and went on to win the cup. You asked for a link, I provided one and then you went on saying that I never did. Now you're back saying that I'm being dishonest?

"Where did they rank that season in terms of shots per game and shots against when Therrien was fired in mid-February?

They were 30th in shots for and 22nd in shots against.

Following the coaching change, when Therrien was replaced by Dan Bylsma, the Penguins were seventh in the league in generating shots and eighth in the league at preventing them over the final 25 games of the regular season, a trend that continued into the playoffs when they won the Stanley Cup against a better Detroit team
(Marian Hossa went from Pittsburgh to Detroit following the 2007-08 season) than the one that beat them the year before."

What part of this don't you understand? What part of this is dishonest? They were bottom third in shots for and against (dead last in shots) under Therrien and top ten when Byslma took over and went on to win the cup. It's there in black and white and you can read this in the link I provided in...
POST 186

Feel free to go there and read it.

Moreover, your assertion that they were never top ten beyond that stretch is completely false. They were top ten in BOTH categories for the following three seasons. Check your facts before calling other posters dishonest.

Last edited:

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
My God, it's war here! Guy's It need to slow down. Has bad is Therrien can be ( base on some opinion) it CANNOT be that bad.

We here MAINLY winning since the last few year. cannot be with only luck... DA record shows we have a good team and a good organisation since the 3 years... Players, Coaches ans Managers have done something for it!

So respect has to be given at some point...

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
Moreover, your assertion that they were never top ten beyond that stretch is completely false. They were top ten in BOTH categories for the following three seasons. Check your facts before calling other posters dishonest.

We never talked about the following three seasons, we were talking about the 2008-09 season where you said in post #177:

-Pittsburgh were 26th for shots against when Therrien was fired

-Pit went top 10 in shots for

-Pit went top 10 for shots against

All 3 statements were false.

Be a man and admit that you provided false informations.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Mr. Jackpot,

Whether or not Pittsburgh was 22nd or 26th doesn't affect the argument. Focus on the point at hand.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
We never talked about the following three seasons,
This is what you said in your last post.
Pits never went top 10 in either category, they were in the top of the league during the last stretch of the season.
You are wrong. Not only did they go top ten in both stats when he took over that season, they were top ten in both for the next three years.
we were talking about the 2008-09 season where you said in post #177:

Here's my post from 177
...Again, this is a guy who had the Pens 30th in shots and 26th in shots against when he was fired with that team out of the playoffs. And as soon as he was fired the team went top ten in both and went on to win the cup. Think about it, the guy was the difference between winning the cup and making the playoffs...
In post 186 I showed you that this was the case. Once again, slight error with shots against they were 22nd instead of 26th. But they were bottom third in both (dead last in shots) and out of the playoffs when he was fired.

They went top ten after he was replaced and stayed there for the following three years. It's there in black and white.
I am done with you on this. I suggest you take your own advice. You've been proven wrong across the board here. If you can't even acknowledge those facts there's not much of a discussion we can have.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
We never talked about the following three seasons, we were talking about the 2008-09 season where you said in post #177:

Holy jeezus on a pogo stick...

How hard it is for you to understand that the Pens for the time period of October 4 2008 to February 15 2009 were 26th for shots against and for the time period of February 16 2009 to April 12 2009 were top 10 for shots for/against.

It's not exactly rocket surgery here, c'mon.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal
for the time period of February 16 2009 to April 12 2009 were top 10 for shots for/against.

It's not exactly rocket surgery here, c'mon.

Yes and last year between February and April, Ottawa was 1st overall in the standings by a large margin.

Seriously dude, seriously?

Most of the hockey fans don't even put Ottawa in the playoffs this year, just to show how clueless you are with your statement.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Yes and last year between February and April, Ottawa was 1st overall in the standings by a large margin.

Bylsma was coaching the AHL affiliate when Therrien was behind the Pens' bench, Bylsma is in no way, shape or form responsible for the bad stats accrued under Therrien.

The point being, since you keep missing it.
Under Therrien, the Pens were BAD at shots suppression AND at generating shots
Under Bylsma, the SAME TEAM, was GOOD at shots suppression AND at generating shots.

Mr Jackpot

Mar 16, 2013
Montreal

Bylsma was coaching the AHL affiliate when Therrien was behind the Pens' bench, Bylsma is in no way, shape or form responsible for the bad stats accrued under Therrien.

The point being, since you keep missing it.
Under Therrien, the Pens were BAD at shots suppression AND at generating shots
Under Bylsma, the SAME TEAM, was GOOD at shots suppression AND at generating shots.

Like I said in post #276, according to you:

-Michel Therrien made the stanley cup final because he had a stacked team

-Dan Bylsma won the cup because he's a good coach

Just take a second and think about it.

+Kunitz and Guerin added at the deadline under Bylsma
+all the playoff experience acquired the year before when they reached the cup finals and playing 6 finals games vs Detroit
+all the 20 years old gaining maturity and getting better

AND WHAT HAS PITTSBURGH DONE IN THE LAST 6 YEARS UNDER BYLSMA?

Nynja*

This guy though, its not even a slight breeze at this point, its a tornado

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Like I said in post #276, according to you:

-Michel Therrien made the stanley cup final because he had a stacked team

-Dan Bylsma won the cup because he's a good coach

Just take a second and think about it.

+Kunitz and Guerin added at the deadline under Bylsma
+all the playoff experience acquired the year before when they reached the cup finals and playing 6 finals games vs Detroit
+all the 20 years old gaining maturity and getting better

AND WHAT HAS PITTSBURGH DONE IN THE LAST 6 YEARS UNDER BYLSMA?

According to me? I'm sure you can provides the post(s) where I said any of that.

Now stop putting words in my mouth, concede and move on.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
So how did Therrien made the Cup finals then? Just answer this question.

Because the Pens won the 3 rounds prior to the final? What kind of question is that.

If you want my opinion on the difference between Therrien and Bylsma ask for it, don't make **** up.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Because the Pens won the 3 rounds prior to the final? What kind of question is that.

If you want my opinion on the difference between Therrien and Bylsma ask for it, don't make **** up.

So you can explain why when Therrien gets to the SCF it's because he has a stacked team, and then the next year they win the SC - it's not because it's a stacked team that has one more year under their belt and added missing pieces at the deadline. :dunno:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
So you can explain why when Therrien gets to the SCF it's because he has a stacked team, and then the next year they win the SC - it's not because it's a stacked team that has one more year under their belt and added missing pieces at the deadline. :dunno:

Oh FFS he got canned Mario Lemieux and Co. canned him...
get over it already.
Was this some great conspiracy or just a plain out and out canning.
The Pittsburgh Penguins canned him and went on to win the cup.
Who gives a crap if it was Charlie Brown who replaced him.
I'm extremely concerned that we have a coach who went to the SCF one year
and was canned the next as his team went on to win.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

This is getting pretty silly the Pens were stacked in 2007-08 and they were stacked in 2008-09.

I have no idea why you and Mr Jackpot are going on and on with that.

In 2007-08, Therrien had a stacked team, had them play like grinders in his rigid non-sense of a system, they lost in the final, the next year Therrien lost the room almost drove the team off a cliff and was fired. Dan Bylsma, an average coach, took over the said stacked team, gave free rein to his superstars and got carried to a Stanley cup as a reward.

Seriously if Therrien was able to evolve and adapt he would probably have been the coach of the Pens until ~2013 or so, since they were pretty lax with Bylsma.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You are often as good as the team in front of you. But as a fan perspective, your team is fun to watch based on the skills of the players but on the system played as well. Therrien is not a fun coach for the fans. Remains to be seen if he can get results. And by that, it means reaching higher levels. Yep, we've done well in the regular season. But it says a lot that the only player that seems to be prepare against a terrible Leafs team, is the ONLY guy who isn't coached by him....

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Penguins didn't actually play all that well in 2008 either. But they had superstar talent in Hossa, Malkin and Crosby. Fleury was great that year as well.

In '08 that team was also bottom third in shots for and against. Their goals were good though because they had players who scored despite putting up low shot totals and they had a goalie who was great. The following year Fleury had an average season and the numbers caught up to them.

At the end of the day, that's what usually happens. Unless you've got the best goalie in the world, sooner or later pucks are going to start going in. In both '08 and '09 they had a stacked team and when Therrien was their coach they were bottom third in shots for and against. The difference between the two years was goaltending. Fleury was amazing in '08 and average in '09 and that led to them being out of the playoffs.

The same thing would've happened to us the past two seasons as well. Basically if Therrien doesn't have a goalie who's playing lights out his teams miss the playoffs. The only real exception to this was 2013 when we played a completely different system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad