The Vezina ...CC vs. Holtby

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I think in Holby's case he has been the best. He has been a stud all year. That is taking nothing away from Crow. To me it is 1A and 1B.

Which is completely fair. I just dont think basing it off winning that record would be a fair way to decide Vezina. Honestly it should have nothing to do with it, but it probably will.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Trotz made Dan Ellis the save % leader for goodness sake. His system gave him a NHL career.

I don't think there's a more goalie freindly coach out there. Holtby is terrific and his blueline isn't that great, he should be a finalist for the workload he's carried.

I just have a real tough time putting some goalies ahead of others when they play in an extremely goalie friendly system like DeBoer's, Trotz, or Julien's (some years) for example.

The same guys that vote for the vezina are the same ones that have piles of dead money laying up and down rosters, so I don't lose any sleep about who wins or loses.

I think Crawford's first half was every bit as impressive an Holtby's. I think it's a two horse race but there's still a fifth of the season to determine a winner.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
There is an excellent analysis comparing the 2 goalies over on The Comitted Indian site today..Do not know where they got the data bit it clearly shows that while many of the standard measures are very close where CC pulls away is that he is far better in stopper high danger scoring g chances (quality scoring g chances as I call them) at even strength both in absolutes and in per 60 mins played and also far better in stopping these quality chances on the pk per 60 minutes played ....Thus he is better making key saves to sum this aspect up..The GAA and save% stats are so close as to hardly make any difference at all but tge Hawks give up more quality scoring chances against per game than Washington as well as giving up more absolute shots per game..so CC is asked to do a lot more to stop pucks than is Holtby..Holtby's advantage in wins is also due to the Caps superior deep offense contributing as well as to tge fact they do not have to play in 5he best division in the NHL...the Central...SO a very good case for CC deserving it over Holtby CAN BE MADE ...but we all know media perception ...and we all know they will credit Holtby more for tge Caps success than they credit CC for whatever tge Hawks do (which probably end up 3rd in the division anyway ...Surely doom ing CC thanks to the wonderful "efforts" of the Country Club guys he plays with who want to let him bail them out for lousy defending time and again.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
With Kane taking the Ross/Hart I doubt Crow is awarded the Vezina even if he finishes only 3-4 wins behind Holtby by the end of the season and has better sv%, more SO's, faces more shots, more quality shots, etc.

No way do people want one team's players to get too may awards.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
With Kane taking the Ross/Hart I doubt Crow is awarded the Vezina even if he finishes only 3-4 wins behind Holtby by the end of the season and has better sv%, more SO's, faces more shots, more quality shots, etc.

No way do people want one team's players to get too may awards.

The only thing Holtby has going for him is that win record in reach. If he doesn't hit that, no chance at winning vezina. If he does get it, I still don't think he deserves it, but for whatever reason, people had this guy penciled in for vezina months ago. It's a team award. Put Crow on the Caps and he has as many wins or more.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
If the season ended today, it's Crow.

I don't think you can make a compelling statistical argument for Holtby over Crow.
I doubt voters will look into advanced stats for goalies like Yost did for Lundqvist.

But of course you can always say Crawford plays behind the league's best team so his numbers are not as good as they look....

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
If the season ended today, it's Crow.

I don't think you can make a compelling statistical argument for Holtby over Crow.
I doubt voters will look into advanced stats for goalies like Yost did for Lundqvist.

But of course you can always say Crawford plays behind the league's best team so his numbers are not as good as they look....

...and if the voters watch the games they'll know that its a farce that the numbers back up. Chicago's D is being buoyed by Crawford, not vice-versa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad