GDT: The Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hope he has as good a run here as this guy is having
sMWe66HUwWEMytqSFSKQr6RZ8VIWZP7YrFqnrll88Zd83XDlp6FQpW3YGQPGrGUvg-HS5HpglWKsTtkLFWx-iOFW2K25QDl6sWHJmsyB4w
tuned in last night and thought it was the late Screech

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
As long as he can no longer be easily knocked around/off the puck I'll be satisfied with his 15 pound gain :nod:

Yeah in the end it comes down to strength and knowing how to use it much more than size. Noel Acciari is only 5'10" but he can regularly out-hit much bigger guys and is damn near impossible to shift off the puck. Marchand's another who's a lot stronger than you would expect. Some guys are just naturally stronger than others and the amount you can improve your core strength by gym work and extra muscle mass is relative to your innate physical makeup.

Studnicka's definitely got the height but his natural frame seems pretty spindly and his base strength looks to be quite low compared to a lot of players at the top level. Whether he can make up enough of that deficit through sheer hard work and a smart training regime remains to be seen. Clearly he's been putting in a lot of effort, so you can't fault him for trying. Hopefully it works out for him.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
As long as Jack is stronger. that is what is most important. It will give him a ton of confidence in the corners and when the dirty work needs to get done.

Reactions: bbfan419

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Globe;

Balancing Rask

Veteran netminder Tuukka Rask, who holds the franchise record for wins, has been coming to Warrior for treatment on his surgically repaired hip (torn labrum).

Cassidy agreed with a reporter’s characterization that it could be “sticky” to have the unsigned Rask around the team while Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman are charged with carrying the load in net.

“We’ve talked to both our goalies about our entire goaltending situation and where Tuukka’s at,” noted Cassidy. “I can only go with what Tuukka’s told everyone else, that he’d like to stay and return to Boston.
“Can it get sticky? It could, and if it does get sticky, we have to do right by the guys who have signed here, and we’ll address it if it is. I think Tuukka would acknowledge that. He’s a good pro. He’s a good person. I don’t think he’s here trying to create any issues. I think he’s just trying to get healthy.”

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Globe;

Balancing Rask

Veteran netminder Tuukka Rask, who holds the franchise record for wins, has been coming to Warrior for treatment on his surgically repaired hip (torn labrum).

Cassidy agreed with a reporter’s characterization that it could be “sticky” to have the unsigned Rask around the team while Ullmark and Jeremy Swayman are charged with carrying the load in net.

“We’ve talked to both our goalies about our entire goaltending situation and where Tuukka’s at,” noted Cassidy. “I can only go with what Tuukka’s told everyone else, that he’d like to stay and return to Boston.
“Can it get sticky? It could, and if it does get sticky, we have to do right by the guys who have signed here, and we’ll address it if it is. I think Tuukka would acknowledge that. He’s a good pro. He’s a good person. I don’t think he’s here trying to create any issues. I think he’s just trying to get healthy.”

So pretty much sounds like if Tuukka stays he will be ullmarks backup and swayman will be the 3rd option by the “we have to do right by the guys who signed here”. Kind of feel bad for swayman because he looked really good last year and deserved more of a prominent role, but whatever is best for the team should be done.

Reactions: Gordoff and HustleB

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
So pretty much sounds like if Tuukka stays he will be ullmarks backup and swayman will be the 3rd option by the “we have to do right by the guys who signed here”. Kind of feel bad for swayman because he looked really good last year and deserved more of a prominent role, but whatever is best for the team should be done.
True and Swayman may yet prove to best for the team.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

There is some talk happening that the NHL will allow teams to go with 3 goalies. Just like last season with the taxi squad, they could move one goalie to the "new taxi" squad and their cap hit would not count against the cap. This would only apply to goaltenders.

A goalie on the taxi squad would be paid their AHL salary (if on a two-way deal) and if play in a game, would be paid their NHL salary.

NHL GM's are really pushing for this and it would mean an end to the "emergency goaltender" that teams have to provide for every home game.

I wonder if Sweeney was thinking ahead here and knows it's coming and why the P-Bruins signed Jeremy Brodeur. Why else would they have 6 goaltenders signed to pro contracts (Tuukka would make 7) with only 5 spots? (Maine already has one goaltender under their own contract).

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Yeah in the end it comes down to strength and knowing how to use it much more than size. Noel Acciari is only 5'10" but he can regularly out-hit much bigger guys and is damn near impossible to shift off the puck. Marchand's another who's a lot stronger than you would expect. Some guys are just naturally stronger than others and the amount you can improve your core strength by gym work and extra muscle mass is relative to your innate physical makeup.

Studnicka's definitely got the height but his natural frame seems pretty spindly and his base strength looks to be quite low compared to a lot of players at the top level. Whether he can make up enough of that deficit through sheer hard work and a smart training regime remains to be seen. Clearly he's been putting in a lot of effort, so you can't fault him for trying. Hopefully it works out for him.

People often ignore their lower groin and lower pelvic floor muscles, as they are difficult muscles to strengthen AND tend to actually weaken when working out regularly in the traditional way (for example, try pulling your anus in while doing a squat, not easy)

those muscles are at the very center of your body and serve as a connection point between your lower and upper half, even our friend Bergeron is not immune, hence why he’s had groin and sports hernia issues chronically throughout his career.
Guys like Marchand are incredibly solid overall that’s why they can do what they do. Lower center has a lot to do with it too, but if your center isn’t rock solid it gives out even if your arms and legs and back and chest are strong

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Has anyone attended training camp yet? I can’t see anywhere whether it is open to the public or not. I have my four year old daughter today and she is clambering for hockey. Needless to say, I would be happy to oblige!
It is open to the public and masks need to be worn due to the City of Boston's ordnance. You don't need proof of vaccine or negative test.

I want to go tomorrow but I really don't want to deal with the crowd.

NSBruinFan

Jul 17, 2006
Cape Breton, NS
Better wear a mouth guard. Don’t want to have to replace those ones as well hahaha

I played junior and senior league hockey and my mouth guard saved my teeth many times......Coaching novice hockey... no mouth guard... I lost my front tooth thanks to an accidental high stick.

Hockey Canada was great covering the dentist bill.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I read it the other way - that if Ullmark and Swayman are killing it that Tuukka might be the odd man out. Sweeney has shown no sentimentality when it comes to veterans - see Backes game 7, Chara's and Krug's walking papers, Halak last year. If Swayman falters it would make his decision easier, but he has no trouble making tough calls to vets.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I read it the other way - that if Ullmark and Swayman are killing it that Tuukka might be the odd man out. Sweeney has shown no sentimentality when it comes to veterans - see Backes game 7, Chara's and Krug's walking papers, Halak last year. If Swayman falters it would make his decision easier, but he has no trouble making tough calls to vets.

its sure going to be interesting to watch.
To me a key aspect is Swayman is still waiver exempt for up to 34 games played. That allows for some paper shuffling maneuvers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad