The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 196 58.5%
  • B

Votes: 115 34.3%
  • C

Votes: 23 6.9%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
So optimistic a week ago, all deflated now. This team will struggle early and often through the season.

Unless we somehow bring another solid top 6 player, I fully expect another bottom 10 season. I felt the acquisition of Laine was the key to keeping us in the mix to play meaningful games late into the season. I don't think that happens this year now.
I still expect us to be much improved.

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Laine and Reinbacher getting hurt absolutely sucks. It especially sucks that Laine got hurt by an inexperienced kid who we normally wouldn’t even be playing against.

We all knew injuries would happen sooner or later but to have it happen like this - again! - is unreal.

Whatever. Suck it up and go have a good year. Can’t dwell on this stuff, every team gets hurt.

All the best to those guys. Hopefully they recover fully.
It will give more room for other players. More Armia ice time, Anderson, Dvo, Newhook, Dach. At the end Suzuki will have 25 min a game. But also maybe give room for Roy, Kapanen, Beck, ABB, Tuch.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I don't think this is going anywhere now. At best Habs will end up with first round playoffs exit team IF they manage to stay healthy enough to squeeze in. Given that they are softer than butter cream, and are always on the receiving end of hits and physical play, I don't see anything promising. A major change in mentality about physicality is needed.

New head coach definitely. Probably a new GM at this point too.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I don't think this is going anywhere now. At best Habs will end up with first round playoffs exit team IF they manage to stay healthy enough to squeeze in. Given that they are softer than butter cream, and are always on the receiving end of hits and physical play, I don't see anything promising. A major change in mentality about physicality is needed.

New head coach definitely. Probably a new GM at this point too.

We need to sign Torts as head coach at all costs!

:sarcasm:

2 more years of tanking hopefully. And picking the RIGHT players through BPA NOT NEEDS!

+1

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Do people not see that without acquring Laine, Dach plays with Newhook and Anderson or Roy? 2 totally unproven wingers? And people think we are in the mix? That's not our 4th line....it's our 2nd line! Oh and that's disregarding the fact that we still have no idea what Dach can give us....

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Not sure why some are still so opposed to a long and smart rebuild , you'd think they wouldn't be so scared of it after 10 years of DD Pacio Therrien Bergevin , Danault at 1C , no ppg players , yuck

+1

Do people not see that without acquring Laine, Dach plays with Newhook and Anderson or Roy? 2 totally unproven wingers? And people think we are in the mix? That's not our 4th line....it's our 2nd line! Oh and that's disregarding the fact that we still have no idea what Dach can give us....

+1

We're in this for the long haul.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
People are acting like the team lack a top 6 player to be competitive, but in reality it lack good depth above all else who can replace injuries.

Anderson shouldn't be anywhere near the 2nd line, but here we are one injury into the season.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In the mix for what?

Before addressing secondary scoring/depth up front, which the Laine trade did on paper, I'd have put us in the WC race IF we had a relatively healthy season... The Laine addition probably pushed that up a bit, his injury -if it is worst case- leaves us back in the same spot.

If this is the start of another injury-ravaged season, then we'll end up selling before the deadline and firmly back in that bottom tier group, loading up our already stacked prospect pool with even more high end talent.

Win-win really.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
In the mix for what?

Before addressing secondary scoring/depth up front, which the Laine trade did on paper, I'd have put us in the WC race IF we had a relatively healthy season... The Laine addition probably pushed that up a bit, his injury -if it is worst case- leaves us back in the same spot.

If this is the start of another injury-ravaged season, then we'll end up selling before the deadline and firmly back in that bottom tier group, loading up our already stacked prospect pool with even more high end talent.

Win-win really.

We need to stop losing at some point. Ending up in the basement again would be a disaster.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I still expect us to be much improved.

Ditto.

We're basically back where we started, minus Harris & some cap flex, + a 2nd.

Sucks because a healthy Laine having a great season would've pushed us a notch higher, but if we can stay relatively healthy (how much sh*t luck can one team have??) our U25 heavy roster should absolutely be performing at a higher level than last season.

Future is (still) bright 😎

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
We need to stop losing at some point. Ending up in the basement again would be a disaster.
I don't know about disaster... But I do agree that the player's & coaches will be in tough to keep a positive mindset if we are out of the playoffs by January again.

Losing long term definitely wears on people.

I do think that in Slaf, Guhle, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach we appear to have a core group with pretty strong mental toughness & resilience... No prima Donna's or me-first guys in the mix helps a lot with this kind of challenge

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Yeah just like every single team that ever rebuilt lol. Like let's be honnest do people think the cup will be won with Suzuki Caufield Slaf as a first line... let's be realistic. Demidov looks good so I think we are still on a great path here
Demidov and Slaf will be on that future first line.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Since his thread is closed, kind of concerning Reinbacher now has more knee injuries than Andrei Markov isn't it?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Before the Laine trade, I thought, like many I think, that we were bottom-10 bound, after the trade, thought if healthy he could actually push us on the brink of a playoffs spot... now, well, sdter yesterday, I kind of hope we manage to get in the Martone range...

Reactions: Trabdy2

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Yeah and Suzuki might be the 1C , don't have a problem with that , we just need some more time , some more homegrown top 6ers , and for our D to grow , it's gonna take some patience
And a better bottom 6. I've been complaining about that bottom 6 for 3 years now. It's not depth, it's flawed players who are failling at finding a role/chair except for Evans and Armia.

Roy is a rookie (only 20ish game played), so he gets a bit of pass, but he's going to have to show more if he want to stick around long term too.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
And a better bottom 6. I've been complaining about that bottom 6 for 3 years now. It's not depth, it's flawed players who are failling at finding a role/chair except for Evans and Armia.

Roy is a rookie (only 20ish game played), so he gets a bit of pass, but he's going to have to show more if he want to stick around long term too.
Yeah but that's the whole thing with the rebuild too , we are carrying corpses of Josh Anderson Brendan Gallagher and Christian Dvorak in the bottom 6 , that's an entire line doing nothing , they have become very vanilla players

this is the next step of our rebuild.

View attachment 910794
Except this guy doesn't even need to be hurt to do nothing when the going gets tough. The leafs ever winning anything is the least of our worries lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad