The state of the Habs Rebuild - The Next step

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

What note you give to Kent Hughes' Rebuild? ?

• A

Votes: 195 58.6%
  • B

Votes: 116 34.8%
  • C

Votes: 21 6.3%
  • D

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E

• F

• Total voters

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I agree, but 10-15 with progression and milestones was what i was looking for.. unless a trye diamond in the rough prospect somehow pulls a Wyatt Johnston, i fail to see how 5-10 just a rebuild.. a year like this starts to become BUF OTT territory... not good atall
I've always said we will need to suffer 5 years minimum. I've been vocal in the past that it might take 7 years. People hoping we would be out of the woods after 3 years were hoping for a miracle. Hugo really inherited a mess from Bergevin.

Hugo are doing a tremendous job to accelerate this and they have exceeded all expectations but we will need another high pick. I see a 5-10 overall pick. Especially if Laine is gone.

Patience... it's a long process. We aren't done yet.

Last edited:

durojean

May 29, 2007
Thought they were close to that before Laine injury but now I’m confident bottom 5 for sure, probably in bottom 3.

No second line, bottom 6 is gross.

I’ll go on the record now, they get less points than they did last year.

Rebuild is NO WHERE close to being over.

And it is ok… this year still needed to be hard.

Next year is the year we should become really good.

I just hope it’s not too serious for Reinbacher because next year was supposed to be his real start in the NHL and he need to not lose a year of development at this point.

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
Thought they were close to that before Laine injury but now I’m confident bottom 5 for sure, probably in bottom 3.

No second line, bottom 6 is gross.

I’ll go on the record now, they get less points than they did last year.

Rebuild is NO WHERE close to being over.

Could be a blessing in disguise for the long-run. If we’re not gonna make the playoffs might as well get one last top pick to finish this rebuild. What’s the point of finishing in the middle and drafting #13? Why be mid, don’t want to be Minnesota/Islanders/Flyers. Yeah we would have made short-term “progress”, but in the long run adding one of the studs in this upcoming strong draft could make us a bonifade contender in the future. Absolutely disgusting possible top 5 this year (Hagens, Martone, McQueen, Schaefer, Misa).

When life gives you lemons......

Reactions: themilosh

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I know some of us will talk about Martone or Hagens, but another top 5 pick, while good on paper, would be really bad for the development of this team. Forget the forever high picks, I want to see progress, I want to watch meaningful hockey. Losing constantly 4 years in a row is BAD for development

austin316

Oct 4, 2016
I voted “C”. Some nice pieces in place, but they are mainly complimentary pieces. Still no elite talent on this roster, and Reinbacher at 5 sure looks like a swing and a miss. That sets the rebuild back when you miss on a top 5 pick like we did.

Flashbacks to KK over Tkachuk.

Reactions: the and themilosh

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
A successful rebuild will have enough draft picks to have redundancy / failover. They won’t all be home runs.
No but i dont think ANY team has a "redundancy" in their top 6. It's not like this happened to Dvo... Dach is still a massive ? When it comes to his health, now he's losing a stud winger which was suppose to teach us about what we "could" have..
It's the information that we lose is what stings... i get it, injuries happen.. it's just we cannot truly answer an important equation to test our core..

Like not even 30ish games... nothing.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
If this team falls bottom 5, some on the team will lose faith in the process. And what happened to Buffalo might start to happen here.
This young core was sold a plan. They don’t give two shits about drafting high. They want to play meaningfull games in March-April. If it ain’t happening this season, grumbling will start

Habs7631

Feb 28, 2017
If this team falls bottom 5, some on the team will lose faith in the process. And what happened to Buffalo might start to happen here.
This young core was sold a plan. They don’t give two shits about drafting high. They want to play meaningfull games in March-April. If it ain’t happening this season, grumbling will start

If the players want to play meaningful games in March-April, then they should start playing better. Bottom 5 finishes 3 years in a row. What is management supposed to do? I feel like they've done almost everything right at this point and sped up the process enough by making good acquisitions (Dach, Laine, Newhook). They've also accumulated quite the war chest of picks and players. Top 5 prospect pool in the league and 11 picks in the first 3 rounds for the next 2 drafts. We might have the biggest war chest in the league right now for trades.

It's not management fault that players can't stay healthy. If the current group wants management to go get more help, they have to show they deserve more help. Guys keep talking about losing all those 1 goal games, well how about you start winning those games then instead of choking them.

Management has done their job, it's now up to the players to deliver their side of the deal. They made trade every year to get you help, they've build up the war chest to acquire all the help you could need but how about you get out of the basement first.

Anyway, HuGo have said multiple times that 2025-2026 is when the real push starts, so next summer. Lot of money coming off the books, Demidov's arrival, another year of experience for this young group of defenseman, a full season of Monty-Primeau, can Dobes re-peat his performance of the second half he had in Laval, except this time for a full season? What do we really have in Hutson? Struble? Xhekaj? Barron? Is Caufield gonna start living up to his "steal" of a contract?

Another draft except this time an insane amount of picks in the first 3 rounds. Can probably consolidate them all into 3-4 1st rounders if not more if they sell at the deadline (Savard, Matheson, Dvo, Armia).

The next step I think is to do nothing. So many questions to be answered by this group. This season will be one of evaluation. There's a lot of potential all across the organization, both with the big club and Laval. Let the chips fall where they way and if we get another top pick in the process so be it.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Are people really expecting us to finish bottom 5 this year and then make a magical jump for the playoffs the following season?

That just doesn't happen. If this season is over, the next one is too.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
This is a good test for this group and the coaching staff. If they are able to overcome the disappointment, play hard and take a step forward, it would mean we have something really good here.

It's also an opportunity for guys like Kapanen, Heineman and Barre-Boulet.

Laine was always optional, but the key to future success was in the group already assembled.

Reinbacher is what hurts the most. He didn't have a stellar last season, so this year was important. We can't have members of our future core out for a year every season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad