Player Discussion The Slaf Thread - Parabolic Growth Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's starting to look like Suzuki & Slafkovsky as the top duo for the team. No disrespect at all to CC, he's been eclipsed a bit because both Suzuki+Slaf can control the game and slow it down and Caufield has to keep the tempo up to be successful and is more of a "big moments out of nothing" kind of star. They all complement one another well, but the more I watch the more its clear that Slafkovsky is probably the only player in the org who has a chance of surpassing Suzuki in impact.
My guess is, as Slaf develops he will get more attention, and it leaves CC to pad his goal totals.......at the end of the day, these guys don't care who gets what as long as the line produces....

We need a healthy Dach and Newhook next year, to take the next steps.

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
I'm actually sort of impressed he posted this without shame or embarrassment.

This was a "wait, my model might f***ing Pejorative Slured or I might not have a clue what I'm interpreting" moment. Usually, you take a step back, think and ask yourself if more time is needed before showing the world youre a clown.
Classifying some high school level napkin math as a model is quite generous

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm actually sort of impressed he posted this without shame or embarrassment.

This was a "wait, my model might f***ing Pejorative Slured or I might not have a clue what I'm interpreting" moment. Usually, you take a step back, think and ask yourself if more time is needed before showing the world youre a clown.

Agreed, and he deserves flack for presenting the numbers without serious analysis.

But even if he said "I think my model is wrong here", people would still use that example to invalidate the entire model. Like, a couple years back Dom Luszczyszyn's model had Suzuki as one of the worst contracts in the NHL and he even said he was "[p]ersonally excited to see how wrong this one is", and people are still dunking on him about it.

No model is without flaws just like no scout is perfect. And actually posting it is useful as a data point to look to improve the model.

Reactions: Andrei79

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Too bad he got ripped off of his 16th goal. The replay clearly shows he touched that puck before it went in. I am still holding out hope that he hits 20 goals.
It will only make him stronger!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's starting to look like Suzuki & Slafkovsky as the top duo for the team. No disrespect at all to CC, he's been eclipsed a bit because both Suzuki+Slaf can control the game and slow it down and Caufield has to keep the tempo up to be successful and is more of a "big moments out of nothing" kind of star. They all complement one another well, but the more I watch the more its clear that Slafkovsky is probably the only player in the org who has a chance of surpassing Suzuki in impact.
Caufield has kinda done it to himself tho, lets see next year how he is.

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
Slaf has 12 games to score 5 goals and reach 20. I certainly think it's possible

20 goals and 45+ pts would be a solid milestone that i'd consider a major success for his first full season. Hell it already is right now but that would be the cherry on top

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's starting to look like Suzuki & Slafkovsky as the top duo for the team. No disrespect at all to CC, he's been eclipsed a bit because both Suzuki+Slaf can control the game and slow it down and Caufield has to keep the tempo up to be successful and is more of a "big moments out of nothing" kind of star. They all complement one another well, but the more I watch the more it’s clear that Slafkovsky is probably the only player in the org who has a chance of surpassing Suzuki in impact.
That will change in a hurry if CC can normalize his shot percentage. Again, it’s amazing that he’s not 40+ this year.

Reactions: Rozz and Tyson

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm still surprised Slaf only has 39 points. He's been playing so solid for the majority of the season. Feels like he should be at 50.
I keep thinking the exact same thing!

it feels like he’s been a point per game for so long yet somehow doesn’t even have a measly 40 points lol.

It’s really bizarre. Almost feels like his points are only counting for like 3/4 a point or something lol.

Thought I was the only one who noticed this.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I keep thinking the exact same thing!

it feels like he’s been a point per game for so long yet somehow doesn’t even have a measly 40 points lol.

It’s really bizarre. Almost feels like his points are only counting for like 3/4 a point or something lol.

Thought I was the only one who noticed this.
To me it means that his impact is greater than just points. He's been playing well for a long stretch, making plays, protecting the puck in the O zone and being responsible defensively

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
My guess is, as Slaf develops he will get more attention, and it leaves CC to pad his goal totals.......at the end of the day, these guys don't care who gets what as long as the line produces....

We need a healthy Dach and Newhook next year, to take the next steps.

Its also probably partly the way teams approach that line.

Nick Suzuki is a great quality over quantity shooter, but I wouldn't bet he's going to shoot 17% going forward (even if he shot 16% last season as well). Slaf needs to (continue) shoot more, but his shot quality is way up. Even so, I'm not sure he's a 13% shooter. Caufield hasn't been quite himself, but he's also better than a 7.5% shooter.

The important point is that the line is performing well and that they continue to improve. And that they get more help than 4 periods of Dach, 20ish games of Roy, two-thirds of a season of Newhook and 50ish games of Monahan.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Its also probably partly the way teams approach that line.

Nick Suzuki is a great quality over quantity shooter, but I wouldn't bet he's going to shoot 17% going forward (even if he shot 16% last season as well). Slaf needs to (continue) shoot more, but his shot quality is way up. Even so, I'm not sure he's a 13% shooter. Caufield hasn't been quite himself, but he's also better than a 7.5% shooter.

The important point is that the line is performing well and that they continue to improve. And that they get more help than 4 periods of Dach, 20ish games of Roy, two-thirds of a season of Newhook and 50ish games of Monahan.
I'd have loved to have seen Slaf with Dach this year. It's tragic Kirby went down. They would've been killer together.

We've got 5 guys who are almost certain to be top six next year: Slaf, Roy, Nick, CC and Dach. Newhook will likely be there as well unless we get somebody in the draft we can plug in right away. If it were say... Celebrini then things get interesting and Newhook moves down. I think in the long run Newhook will probably be on the wing with Beck which would be a pretty good future first line.

How they divy things up will be interesting. Easiest would be to just keep the first line together and that's probably how it will work out. But I think CC would work well with Dach as a means of mixing up the size. Should be interesting.

I think we get a nice bounce out of Slaf next year. He's improved by leaps and bounds this year. 60 points is a nice target.

Reactions: Andy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad