Speculation: The Score: Sabres Removing Interim Tag On Nolan

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Good. It's dumb anyhow. He's the coach, and unless they planned on firing him in-season he stays as long as he has a contract. Just like any other coach. His contract ends this year.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
SN: "What about your coach Tim? Does he still have to audition over the rest of the season, or do you have a thought in your mind as to his future?"

TM: "No he doesn't have to audition. He's our coach. I think that we in this game, we judge and get judged every day. We may talk to him shortly about his future. Right now, I'm happy with Teddy. I'm happy with the effort. We need some better players to carry it through."

SN: "Is this interim tag still on him then? Or do you remove that?"

TM: "Today it is."

SN: "It's still on?"

TM: "Right now it is, yes. To be honest guys, I've talked to Pat twice for 15 minutes yesterday and today. I went into his office today just to finalize my contract. So yes, the interim tag is still on, but I can see where we might do--- we probably will do something for him there, that it won't be on there for long."

Clock

May 13, 2006
Every coach is interim.

I guess if you take it to the semantic extreme, yes, but realistically there's a difference.

Interim = we're looking for the real deal, this guy is temporary.
Non-interim = we're not looking, we've got our guy.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I guess if you take it to the semantic extreme, yes, but realistically there's a difference.

Yeah. Interim means at the end of the year, you'll have to interview with everyone else for the job.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY

Yeah, basically. NHL teams don't put interim tags on for the hell of it. It has a meaning.

Taking it off seems to assure he'll be here next season and hopefully beyond.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Ted's led some real improvement for this team. I think another midseason coaching change would be harmful, that would be four coaches in 12 months. This makes perfect sense.

Now, over the offseason, do you consider your options? Sure. But honestly, as long as the kids are being handled correctly, I think coaching consistency is probably a good thing until the 2015 draft, when we turn our corner.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
All the local media probably pissed off Tim Murray didnt give them this scoop.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is a difference between changing his title and giving him a contract extension.

It's too soon to extend him, IMO. But, I don't see the issue with dropping the interim from his job title.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
There is a difference between changing his title and giving him a contract extension.

It's too soon to extend him, IMO. But, I don't see the issue with dropping the interim from his job title.

Yeah, this. Let him have his season in peace, then evaluate.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
All the local media probably pissed off Tim Murray didnt give them this scoop.

not sure the media is a 'big deal' in this age .... Teams have their own web site, Facebook, twitter, etc ......

Teams can get the word out without TV or newspaper in today's world

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
While I agree with this move right now, I don't think Nolan will lead us to the promised land. I'd be willing to give him the reins until the start of the 2015 off-season and have someone else coach starting in 2015 - 2016.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
You take a 4-15-1 team and go 8-11-4 while instilling good work ethic and player relations, you get to finish the year. Shouldn't be a question.

This isn't giving him the reins for the whole rebuild, it's just courtesy.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV

Yeah, this. Let him have his season in peace, then evaluate.

If they aren't going to give him a contract extension, why take the interim tag off then? Seems like a meaningless move. Besides, it's not like Nolan didn't know the team was going to be hiring a new GM.

BrandoncookieBSN

Dec 3, 2013
Lancaster
Interm tag wil be off of Nolan soon

I really like this, I think he's the coach for this rebuild. Murray said “He doesn't have to audition. He's our coach. I think that we in this game, we judge and get judged every day, but we may talk to him shortly about his future. Right now I'm happy with Teddy. I'm happy with the effort and we need some better players to carry it through." on 590 in Toronto today.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Great move by Nephew Murray. Ted deserves to coach the team and Tim is a people's GM, so he should have a good relationship with the player's coach in Teddy. Just don't expect Murray to smile anytime soon.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I really like this, I think he's the coach for this rebuild. Murray said “He doesn't have to audition. He's our coach. I think that we in this game, we judge and get judged every day, but we may talk to him shortly about his future. Right now I'm happy with Teddy. I'm happy with the effort and we need some better players to carry it through." on 590 in Toronto today.

It would be stupid to walk in and fire the coach that lafontaine brought in without knowing him well. He's the coach for now, not necessarily the future. There's really not much there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad