GDT: The Push | Washington Crapitals @ Carolina Lolicanes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussijuice

Jun 28, 2012
If by some miracle Jones is available when we draft, and we don't take him, I will break my television set out of anger.

On every single scout evaluation I have seen, Jones is the number 1 prospect.

That being said, MacKinnon and Drouin are very, very good and I could easily see Jones falling to 3.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not sure if I'd go as far as donut allowance, but I would do a beer bet next time you're in the area. I still owe Sens one but that's just a matter of him contacting me or me contacting him for a time to grab one.

Normally I'd be right there with you, screaming up and down the main board that "this is JR, he doesn't draft dmen in the first". And up until these past two drafts that's been true, but I don't know if something changed or what but now if a dman is clearly the BPA we'll take him. I think we had Murphy somewhere around #5 on our board two drafts ago, and before the Staal trade JR's guy at the draft was Reilly. I don't know if this is a realization by JR that the team NEEDS to build from the net out anymore, or simply a change in philosophy after seeing the success of guys like Doughty and our own Faulk despite their age.

I also think that our scouting as well as basically everyone in the hockey world thinks Jones is the clear cut #1 pick right now. So yes, I'd be willing to bet a beer, that if we select #1 or wherever and he's there, that Jones would be our pick. Not sure if I'd go as far on Nurse, Pullock, or the others due to players like Barkov and Monahan that might also be on the board.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Not sure if I'd go as far as donut allowance, but I would do a beer bet next time you're in the area. I still owe Sens one but that's just a matter of him contacting me or me contacting him for a time.

Whoa, was that back in 08-09 (or was it 09-10) when they fired Lavi and brought in Maurice? What was my bet, that they'd make the playoffs?

Geez that was a long time ago it seems.

Gr8Dan

Dec 29, 2009
NC
Next games

TB
NYR
BOS
PIT
WASH
BOS
OTT

I just don't see a win in there TBH....

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Ugh ... this attitude ... makes me nuts.

"You have to be drunker than Tim Gleason to look at this season and come to the conclusion ANY SINGLE PLAYER is the problem."

But you also have to conclude that the players we've had here for the past four years (and Gleason is one of them) aren't very good as a team. For whatever reason, it's a bad mix of guys. I personally feel it's because we don't have enough capable defensemen (and Gleason is one of them, as well). So I think Gleason and Pitkanen, the best players on what needs to be a better group, take the brunt of the beating.

I don't blame Pitkanen and Gleason, by the way. I blame JR for targeting and acquiring these guys, thinking they were better players than they really are. We're the third team for both of them and I don't think JR is so smart he can see something that two other teams missed. He missed badly on these two guys -- both in acquiring them and signing them to long-term deals -- and the team is paying for it now.

If either or both of them had further developed into top pairing guys, we'd be OK. But they didn't, and we're not.

Our defense, when healthy, was adequate.

Gleason-Faulk
Pitkanen-McBain
Harrison-Corvo

Last year, Gleason-Allen was a good pairing.

Gleason is a part of the team that is working. Doing a job that I'd say is worth about 4 million a year.

Now all 5 of the other defensmen on that list have problems. Corvo playing over his head. Pitkanen/Faulk getting hurt. McBain being a trainwreck. Harrison struggling at times. And that doesn't even get into the Sanguinetti/Jordan/Murphy debacle.

But Tim Gleason, Timmy's been steady and dependable in a role with the most defensive responsibility on the team.

So when the topic of what's wrong comes up, and someone says "Tim Gleason!" My instinct is to call for the breathalizer.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Whoa, was that back in 08-09 (or was it 09-10) when they fired Lavi and brought in Maurice? What was my bet, that they'd make the playoffs?

Geez that was a long time ago it seems.

Yep, that was back in 08, I said they were too far back for it to make a difference, and flat out didn't think it would make too much of one really.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Not sure if I'd go as far as donut allowance, but I would do a beer bet next time you're in the area. I still owe Sens one but that's just a matter of him contacting me or me contacting him for a time to grab one.

Normally I'd be right there with you, screaming up and down the main board that "this is JR, he doesn't draft dmen in the first". And up until these past two drafts that's been true, but I don't know if something changed or what but now if a dman is clearly the BPA we'll take him. I think we had Murphy somewhere around #5 on our board two drafts ago, and before the Staal trade JR's guy at the draft was Reilly. I don't know if this is a realization by JR that the team NEEDS to build from the net out anymore, or simply a change in philosophy after seeing the success of guys like Doughty and our own Faulk despite their age.

I also think that our scouting as well as basically everyone in the hockey world thinks Jones is the clear cut #1 pick right now. So yes, I'd be willing to bet a beer, that if we select #1 or wherever and he's there, that Jones would be our pick. Not sure if I'd go as far on Nurse, Pullock, or the others due to players like Barkov and Monahan that might also be on the board.

Stop being so damn reasonable, Dave. ;)

Injuries notwithstanding, I guess this awful little run we're on has really shaken my (admittedly already shaky) confidence that Canes management knows what it's doing. On top of that, every year since the previous lockout, this team does the exact opposite of how I figure they'll do that season. (Even in '06 -- I saw a few games in person down the stretch and they looked awful.) And I have very little confidence that some of our talented kids coming up will be developed properly.

You know how when you go see a comedy film that is just so mediocre it pisses you off? Not so bad that you can get some kind of "did they really do that?" level of enjoyment out of it, but just painfully mediocre. Sometimes I feel like that's what being a Canes fan is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad