GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I’m convinced if minkah and watt play, we probably win. But that’s assuming the butterfly effect doesn’t happen and the team actually scores as many points as they did.

Ben looked great. I’m glad he’s not complete shit for his final year. Just sucks the team isn’t doing what they need to and the injuries are huge.

If Minkah and Watt play I can assure you the Chargers gameplan wouldn't have been to throw it as much as they did. They would have went heavier on the run to try and make it a time of possession battle. I'm not saying the Steelers wouldn't have won, but I can guarantee the Chargers wouldn't have come out with the same gameplan and it would have looked much different on their side as well

Reactions: Pengwins

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I’m honestly not sure who all will be eligible next year. I think the Bama and Ohio State QBs both will be which means it’ll probably be a much better class.

But yeah I’m hoping they actually make more than a half hearted attempt to fix the line this year and then take a QB the following year.

Whether Ben comes back or not they should hold off attempting to address the position in this year's draft. Not saying they shouldn't take a flier on a kid they like in the 4th round, say, but this coming draft is just bad for QBs and you have to keep from reaching just because it's such an important position.

(I should add, it goes without saying that you should also not wait 30 years or whatever to address the position with a high draft pick, either.)

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
FYI, if that league ever gets off the ground. They aren't actually playing the games in the USFL cities. They are playing them all at one site.

So the cities and logos are just for show. That being said, Maulers is such a great name for a football team.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It will be interesting to see who they hire to replace Colbert when he retires at the end of the season.

I’m sure the next person will be a lazy, internal hire.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
FYI, if that league ever gets off the ground. They aren't actually playing the games in the USFL cities. They are playing them all at one site.

So the cities and logos are just for show. That being said, Maulers is such a great name for a football team.

It'll just be for the first year

theicebox

#MonixWatch
Jan 8, 2010
Pittsburgh
Like Polamalu mentioned during his Hall of Fame speech, Heyward would fit right in on any of the Steelers' Super Bowl winning rosters.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Whether Ben comes back or not they should hold off attempting to address the position in this year's draft. Not saying they shouldn't take a flier on a kid they like in the 4th round, say, but this coming draft is just bad for QBs and you have to keep from reaching just because it's such an important position.

(I should add, it goes without saying that you should also not wait 30 years or whatever to address the position with a high draft pick, either.)

Yeah I agree. But even though I don’t think any QB in this draft will be the guy, I think I’ll be fine if they do decide they like one. It’ll at least signal a willingness to do what it takes to replace Ben.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
There aren’t many good free agent QB’s available in free agency any time soon. This team will likely do something embarrassing like bring back Ben or go with Rudolph.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
"Rodgers restructured his contract on December 26, 2019. Per ESPN Rodgers converted $14.26 million of a 2020 roster bonus into a signing bonus in 2019. The move increased Rodgers 2019 salary cap charge by $2.852 million and decreased his cap charge by $11.408 million in 2020.
Rodgers restructured his contract in 2021 converting $14.46 million of his salary into a signing bonus. In addition the Packers voided the 2023 year of the contract. The move creates about $10 million in 2021 cap space. Rodgers contract will now void seven days prior to the start of the 2023 league year."

Yep, one more year after this.

At the same time, what the deal did was create a 46.14M cap charge next season for Rodgers, and the Packers are already 49M over the projected 2022 cap.

Effectively, the Packers have to trade or restructure.

In theory, I suppose they could cut a bunch of other people to become cap compliant if Rodgers wants out and won't restructure, but it's just not practical.

Restructure Will Force Packers to Trade or Extend Rodgers in 2022

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
God forbid Tomlin has to coach up a young QB and not rely on his HOFer to bail him out again and again.

Hoodie has no problem 'babysitting' a rookie Qb and winning. Why can't Tomlin, aside from the obvious punchline here.

It's bad enough Tomlin has held this org hostage for a decade - I hope to hell he doesn't f*** up their search for the next franchise guy.

Hoodie's management of Jones has been incredible. Slowly taking off the training wheels. Smart OC putting him into good situations. Basically a 180 of what I'd expect Tomlin and staff to do with his next franchise guy if he's drafted.

Speaking of coaching, two quick comments from yesterday:

1. As we discussed, Ben's "don't look at me, I'm not calling this shit" look after the 2nd and goal jet sweep was epic. May end up being on the "these are things I remember from the guy's career" list. Canada is a ******** joke who's failed upward and has his current job because (a) he's cheap and (b) met the one qualification to be an assistant on Tomlin's staff, namely that he's more inept than Tomlin.

2. I don't get that defensive game plan. I suppose it's Butler with an assist from Tomlin or Tomlin with an assist from Butler. Either way, forgetting the "hey, maybe we should watch the QB when we're in man" story, the two things that stood out to me were that they ran conventional blitzes when they blitzed and they never pressed/bumped anyone at the line on pass plays. Too easy to pick them apart.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Hoodie's management of Jones has been incredible. Slowly taking off the training wheels. Smart OC putting him into good situations. Basically a 180 of what I'd expect Tomlin and staff to do with his next franchise guy if he's drafted.

Speaking of coaching, two quick comments from yesterday:

1. As we discussed, Ben's "don't look at me, I'm not calling this shit" look after the 2nd and goal jet sweep was epic. May end up being on the "these are things I remember from the guy's career" list. Canada is a ******** joke who's failed upward and has his current job because (a) he's cheap and (b) met the one qualification to be an assistant on Tomlin's staff, namely that he's more inept than Tomlin.

2. I don't get that defensive game plan. I suppose it's Butler with an assist from Tomlin or Tomlin with an assist from Butler. Either way, forgetting the "hey, maybe we should watch the QB when we're in man" story, the two things that stood out to me were that they ran conventional blitzes when they blitzed and they never pressed/bumped anyone at the line on pass plays. Too easy to pick them apart.

Tomlin and Canada will completely f*** up any young QB.

As I mentioned before, the only legit hope is Tomlin hires an actual pro OC with a history of developing young QBs.

Instead of hiring Earnest Becomes an OC.

917oMkfxAyL.jpg

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

As I mentioned before, the only legit hope is Tomlin hires an actual pro OC with a history of developing young QBs.

917oMkfxAyL.jpg

Unfortunately, a competent OC wouldn't meet Tomlin's primary job requirement that an assistant be more inept than he is.

You and I both know if, in the next few years, Tomlin is gifted in the draft a potential franchise QB that he'll **** the kid up.

Reactions: RustyRazor

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Jones isn’t getting the training wheels off lol. He attempted one pass over 20 yards against Atlanta and it was intercepted. He was the lowest ceiling safest floor of the QBs and 50 percent of his passes are to a rb near the line of scrimmage. A young QB that can run bootleg and keep it on the RPo will help the o line.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

917oMkfxAyL.jpg

Forget the OC. There is probably a Earnest in the organization that is getting Colberts job when he retires or whatever. Because Rooney Tunes is also a clown.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Forget the OC. There is probably a Earnest in the organization that is getting Colberts job when he retires or whatever. Because Rooney Tunes is also a clown.

Colbert leaving scares me even more than Roth’s retirement.

Tomlin and AR2 will have a heavy competition to see who wears bigger clown shoes.

Reactions: Night Shift

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Colbert leaving scares me even more than Roth’s retirement.

Tomlin and AR2 will have a heavy competition to see who wears bigger clown shoes.

Colbert or no Colbert is irrelevant.

I mean, no matter what tools the GM gives Tomlin, he'll underachieve.

If anything, Colbert leaving means nobody is left to obfuscate that the emperors have no clothes.

Reactions: Night Shift

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
Just came across this from last week:

Gerry Dulac: Why do Steelers struggle to adjust to conditions on the ground?
https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ste ... 2111190104
"While attempting to explain how the Detroit Lions ran for the fourth-most yards in his 15-year tenure with the Steelers, Mike Tomlin acknowledged at his weekly Tuesday news conference that he had come into some information after the game that might shed some light on the inept failure of the Steelers defense.

Was it the Lions had secretly taped their practices?

The Steelers were wearing shoes with no cleats?

The Lions had their running backs smear motor oil on their game pants?

No, it was something more than that.

“We now have information,” Tomlin began, sounding like a lead detective working on a cold-case file, “that coach [Dan] Campbell was calling plays.”

Wait ... what?

“And that,” Tomlin said, “created an unsteady environment relative to what we had planned for and anticipated.”

I clicked that link expecting it to be a joke.
Holy smokes
WTF is going on here

Reactions: Coastal Kev

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
If Minkah and Watt play I can assure you the Chargers gameplan wouldn't have been to throw it as much as they did. They would have went heavier on the run to try and make it a time of possession battle. I'm not saying the Steelers wouldn't have won, but I can guarantee the Chargers wouldn't have come out with the same gameplan and it would have looked much different on their side as well
The Steelers wouldn’t have played m2m all game. They could’ve played zone which would’ve kept Herbert from running as much. Watt would have feasted on the xfl RT and Heyward could have played more NT

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just finished the steelers game. lol...
This ****ing team going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG and getting the points.
Among a list of other things that drive me crazy... haha... good for this team.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
10 points from the offense going into the 4th quarter. Ben badly under threw Claypool for a walk-in touchdown. The special teams and defense gave the offense 3 short fields in the 4th QT. If Minka and TJ can go against Cincinnati we still can make a run.
The division is about to eat each other. Bmore as Cleveland Steelers Cleveland Green Bay Bengals Rams Steelers

are you trying to pump up the defense when they allowed 41 points?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Just finished the steelers game. lol...
This ****ing team going for it on 4th down instead of kicking the FG and getting the points.
Among a list of other things that drive me crazy... haha... good for this team.

I even get them going for it. But, running the same candy ass play they'd run the last few weeks in a similar situation. It's like that jet sweep inside the 10. It's great, right up until Stevie Wonder could see it coming.

Reactions: LOGiK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad