GDT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Football

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Aside from the last series where he had no chance, Roth was very good again.

28/44 273 3 TD no picks and another game with a + 100 rating.

I was pretty disappointed/irate to see them put Harris back in. I don’t care about passing the protocol shit - dude took a huge, dirty blow to the head.

It can take days for that to show up, why risk it?

It was nice to see them keep playing hard and that’s a credit to Tomlin, but the fundamental flaws that are the calling card of Tomlin teams were well on display again last night.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They had no business winning that game and yet I am somehow still pissed they found a way to blow it.

I have no illusions of them being good enough to make a run and I fully realize it would be better in the long run to just tank and get a higher pick, but part of of me still wants to see Ben playing meaningful games until the end. With their schedule the rest of the way, not beating the f***ing Lions and blowing this game are going to bite them in the ass.

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They had no business winning that game and yet I am somehow still pissed they found a way to blow it.

I have no illusions of them being good enough to make a run and I fully realize it would be better in the long run to just tank and get a higher pick, but part of of me still wants to see Ben playing meaningful games until the end. With their schedule the rest of the way, not beating the f***ing Lions and blowing this game are going to bite them in the ass.

Doesn't matter who they play, Tomlin's teams always keep it close (except the Pats). This is Tomlin football

It's why key players are always getting hurt...he runs the wheels off because they can't blow teams out like they should

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
And Ben got turned loose bc the defense has turned to shit.

Get all the defensive starters back and the offensive carriage will turn back into a pumpkin. Like clockwork.

Reactions: KIRK

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I’m convinced if minkah and watt play, we probably win. But that’s assuming the butterfly effect doesn’t happen and the team actually scores as many points as they did.

Ben looked great. I’m glad he’s not complete shit for his final year. Just sucks the team isn’t doing what they need to and the injuries are huge.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
10 points from the offense going into the 4th quarter. Ben badly under threw Claypool for a walk-in touchdown. The special teams and defense gave the offense 3 short fields in the 4th QT. If Minka and TJ can go against Cincinnati we still can make a run.
The division is about to eat each other. Bmore as Cleveland Steelers Cleveland Green Bay Bengals Rams Steelers

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
10 points from the offense going into the 4th quarter. Ben badly under threw Claypool for a walk-in touchdown. The special teams and defense gave the offense 3 short fields in the 4th QT. If Minka and TJ can go against Cincinnati we still can make a run.
The division is about to eat each other. Bmore as Cleveland Steelers Cleveland Green Bay Bengals Rams Steelers

A run?? I wish I saw things the way you do. I look at those 5 wins and I can't figure out how they have that many. I look at the roster and I think this is one of the worst 5-8 teams in the NFL>

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
A run?? I wish I saw things the way you do. I look at those 5 wins and I can't figure out how they have that many. I look at the roster and I think this is one of the worst 5-8 teams in the NFL>
When the defense is healthy they can beat anyone.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Unless Ben retires on his own accord, I'm more and more convinced that he will be back next season.

They know that Rudolph and Haskins aren't the answer and Tomlin has stated he doesn't want to babysit a rookie QB. Thus it feels like he will be back unless they want to move forward with one of the free agent QBs which are all bad to mediocre and not better than Ben.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
God forbid Tomlin has to coach up a young QB and not rely on his HOFer to bail him out again and again.

Hoodie has no problem 'babysitting' a rookie Qb and winning. Why can't Tomlin, aside from the obvious punchline here.

It's bad enough Tomlin has held this org hostage for a decade - I hope to hell he doesn't f*** up their search for the next franchise guy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

The defense got pissed all over last night and after they finally got the lead, took all of 3 plays to give up the lead again.

Stupid fat Ben being a good efficient QB who doesn't turn the ball over - gotta be his fault.

Or the snow I guess.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

That's the only way they make the playoffs: they run the remaining division schedule

Funny how hard it becomes when you lose (or tie) very winnable games. You operate on very very thin margins- a Hallmark of Tomlin's career

Reactions: lastcupever75

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Unless Ben retires on his own accord, I'm more and more convinced that he will be back next season.

They know that Rudolph and Haskins aren't the answer and Tomlin has stated he doesn't want to babysit a rookie QB. Thus it feels like he will be back unless they want to move forward with one of the free agent QBs which are all bad to mediocre and not better than Ben.
Haven't you heard? They are going to sign Rodgers.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Haven't you heard? They are going to sign Rodgers.

They can't sign Rodgers, he isn't an FA.

They would have to trade for him. And I don't believe they have the resources to pull it off. Plus with Jordan Love looking horrible for them, I believe that GB will do whatever, and have shown so with the Covid vaccine debacle, to make him happy.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

They would have to trade for him. And I don't believe they have the resources to pull it off. Plus with Jordan Love looking horrible for them, I believe that GB will do whatever, and have shown so with the Covid vaccine debacle, to make him happy.
Except the Packers are in cap hell next year 36 million over. He has 46 million dollar cap hit next year and if he doesn’t sign an extension how do they get under the cap. Then ADams is a UFA. They have to trade him for 2 1sts

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

My understanding was there was an out clause and he could become a free agent after this year. I admittedly don't know much about NFL contracts, though, as they are so damn convoluted.

Last edited:

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I don't follow the draft, but what is the FOLLOWING year like for QBs?

I'm kind of thinking Ben comes back next season, but maybe not the following year.

I’m honestly not sure who all will be eligible next year. I think the Bama and Ohio State QBs both will be which means it’ll probably be a much better class.

But yeah I’m hoping they actually make more than a half hearted attempt to fix the line this year and then take a QB the following year.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
My understanding was there was an out clause and he could become a free agent after this year. I admittedly don't know much about NFL contracts, though, as they are so damn convoluted.
"Rodgers restructured his contract on December 26, 2019. Per ESPN Rodgers converted $14.26 million of a 2020 roster bonus into a signing bonus in 2019. The move increased Rodgers 2019 salary cap charge by $2.852 million and decreased his cap charge by $11.408 million in 2020.
Rodgers restructured his contract in 2021 converting $14.46 million of his salary into a signing bonus. In addition the Packers voided the 2023 year of the contract. The move creates about $10 million in 2021 cap space. Rodgers contract will now void seven days prior to the start of the 2023 league year."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad