OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
This is what happens when your OC looks like a perv from the tv show To Catch a Predator.

View attachment 910869
Saw this and now I can't unsee it

1727644245964.png

• Haha
Reactions: Night Shift

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fields taking the blame. Whether it's actually the case, I like the QB taking ownership of it.

If this team still had Big Ben, he'd be going on his radio show to throw Frazier under the bus for that play.

It's so nice to have an actually likeable guy as their QB. He's obviously not as talented as Ben but he's such an easier guy to root for.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it's tough to say that when Seumalo has been injured and Daniels left early with an injury. Frazier is an absolute monster of a blocker already and I think Seumalo-Frazier-Daniels as the IOL would make a massive difference in the quality of their running game. You also need a good RB, which Harris simply isn't.

I do think a run heavy, play-action based offense could fit this team, but you need the OL to be healthy to be able to do that. Right now, the OL is just far too green to run that kind of offense effectively, even with how good Frazier is already. I do think they deviated away from that in the second half today, which isn't surprising that the offense got way better when they were relying on Fields' arm more.

Maybe you're right that this if they've got the guys fit they can do it. But with a bunch of young guys and a lack of cohesion, with what's out there, they're just not this team right now. I think it'd be smarter to work around that and not rely so heavily on the line. Maybe long term it'll be proven it's right to lean so heavily on them, but I think doing that with guys who aren't ready to perform is a good way to ruin development.

Also I've seen Harris take over too many games to think he's not capable of being the guy they need if they get the OL going.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maybe you're right that this if they've got the guys fit they can do it. But with a bunch of young guys and a lack of cohesion, with what's out there, they're just not this team right now. I think it'd be smarter to work around that and not rely so heavily on the line. Maybe long term it'll be proven it's right to lean so heavily on them, but I think doing that with guys who aren't ready to perform is a good way to ruin development.

Also I've seen Harris take over too many games to think he's not capable of being the guy they need if they get the OL going.

I've seen too many games of Harris getting outplayed by his backup while behind the same OL to think that he's anything but bad.

Reactions: T1K

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Harris is an indecisive runner that lacks burst. He’s the definition of a plodder. He is awful.
The OL was in disarray, that doesn't let Harris off the hook, but if we did a better job in the trenches the end result would likely have been different.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I've seen too many games of Harris getting outplayed by his backup while behind the same OL to think that he's anything but bad.

I've never seen one of those games where I've thought he's been getting the same opportunities and usage as Warren/Patterson. This team seems to take an active delight in running Harris into stacked boxes to grind them down and then they use the other RB in more open situations. When they use another running back in that way and he's doing more than Harris, I'll see it. But they were using Patterson like that in the first couple games and he was getting two yards a carry. Then they get him some running lanes and he tears it up. And Harris has followed that same pattern too many times himself for me to blame him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've never seen one of those games where I've thought he's been getting the same opportunities and usage as Warren/Patterson. This team seems to take an active delight in running Harris into stacked boxes to grind them down and then they use the other RB in more open situations. When they use another running back in that way and he's doing more than Harris, I'll see it. But they were using Patterson like that in the first couple games and he was getting two yards a carry. Then they get him some running lanes and he tears it up. And Harris has followed that same pattern too many times himself for me to blame him.

Or maybe Harris just isn't hitting those rushing lanes while these other guys are capable of doing that?

It's been 4 years with Harris now and the only RB Harris has outperformed in terms of yards/carry is Benny Snell Jr. He was outperformed by Warren in each of the last 2 years and is now getting outperformed by a 33 year old Cordarrelle Pattersson. I don't see how you can look at this ridiculously common trend and somehow assign it to be anything but talent related with Harris.

He ranks tied for 247th in the NFL in terms of rushing yards per attempt in the NFL, and the only other active player that is worse than him is Jamaal Williams. He's another Leonard Fournette type of back: he's a volume power back that only offers value with his availability. Fournette was replaced entirely by an undrafted FA backup when the Jags released him and put James Robinson (1070 rushing yards, 4.5 yards/attempt in 2020) in their RB1 spot, even after Fournette had a strong season in 2019 (1152 rushing yards, 4.3 yards/attempt in 2019).

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent and T1K

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Obviously a frustrating loss of a winnable game with some poor coaching and no shows by the D, but the biggest thing to me coming out of this game is that the Steelers have a viable option at QB that can win games. They still dearly need another WR or two and I’m sure Fields will have a clunker at some point but he has to be the guy moving forward.

Reactions: ChaosAgent and T1K

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Obviously a frustrating loss of a winnable game with some poor coaching and no shows by the D, but the biggest thing to me coming out of this game is that the Steelers have a viable option at QB that can win games. They still dearly need another WR or two and I’m sure Fields will have a clunker at some point but he has to be the guy moving forward.

Stop crying little one, bright days are ahead :thumbu:

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Those rushing TD drives would’ve likely resulted in FGs with most QBs

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Best loss in years.

Encouraging developments with JF2. The defense and our 1 (and only) WR let us down though he had a big game after. I'm getting a little bit concerned that Baltimore had good reasons to let Patrick Queen come our way. TJ came up empty which almost never happens. Our defense will not be good if Watt does not sack the quarterback. Joe Flacco is also better at 39 than he was at 29.

Frazier's snaps were a problem. Najee Harris being a terrible football player is a problem. The lack of any receiver beyond Pickens is a problem. But things are trending up.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Best loss in years.

Encouraging developments with JF2. The defense and our 1 (and only) WR let us down though he had a big game after. I'm getting a little bit concerned that Baltimore had good reasons to let Patrick Queen come our way. TJ came up empty which almost never happens. Our defense will not be good if Watt does not sack the quarterback. Joe Flacco is also better at 39 than he was at 29.

Frazier's snaps were a problem. Najee Harris being a terrible football player is a problem. The lack of any receiver beyond Pickens is a problem. But things are trending up.
I thought Austin and CP were pretty good, but I get your point. They need to put Roman Wilson in there. But the bigger issue is the chaos on the offensive line. Hopefully Seumalo is back next week.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Best loss in years.

Fields could’ve easily shelled up and come out flat in the 2nd half after that start. He showed he has a lot of dawg in him.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Best loss in years.

This reminds me. As long as we used to make fun of John Harbaugh once upon a time for stupid shit, and he has been there as long as Tomlin in Pittsburgh. He can atleast redesign an offense to fit his QB.

All Tomlin is good at is word salad

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't want to belabor the Harris part, but on the "I've seen him take over games", Harris only has 5 career games of 100 or more rushing yards. He downright dominated the Browns back in 2022, with 188 rushing yards on 28 carries, but that's really about it in terms of games he really "dominated". That doesn't mean he doesn't have other good games, but is putting up 105 yards on 26 carries a particularly notable game? Not really.

He only has 3 games of putting up above a 5.0 yards/carry and 100 yards. He has more games averaging below 3 yards per carry (14) than games of averaging more than 5 yards per carry (8), and about 60% of his games fall below 4.0 yards/carry (32 of 54). I just simply do not see any sort of performance he has given, outside of that monster game against the Browns 3 seasons ago, that says anything but "he's just a volume back". He has far more "14 carries for 37 yards" type of performances than any sort of performances that you can call dominant. Maybe he shows glimpses where he takes over for a quarter, sure, but I figure most players can do that.

For comparison, Warren has 12 performances of 5.0 yards/carry or better, and even if you take out the sub-50 yard games, he's still at 6 games of things like "11 carries for 88 yards" or "15 carries for 101 yards". And that's with Warren playing a season less than Harris.

The Steelers have an absolutely awful track record with 1sts in the last 10 years. They're lucky as hell Watt became a monster because their 1st rounders have been horrid. Jones, Pickett, Harris, Bush, Edmunds and Burns are all just bad picks.

The Steelers have drafted great in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, but man they have whiffed on so many 1sts and I'm not seeing why I should think Jones will be any different. Thankfully Fautanu looks good, but he just needs to stay healthy.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I don't want to belabor the Harris part, but on the "I've seen him take over games", Harris only has 5 career games of 100 or more rushing yards. He downright dominated the Browns back in 2022, with 188 rushing yards on 28 carries, but that's really about it in terms of games he really "dominated". That doesn't mean he doesn't have other good games, but is putting up 105 yards on 26 carries a particularly notable game? Not really.

He only has 3 games of putting up above a 5.0 yards/carry and 100 yards. He has more games averaging below 3 yards per carry (14) than games of averaging more than 5 yards per carry (8), and about 60% of his games fall below 4.0 yards/carry (32 of 54). I just simply do not see any sort of performance he has given, outside of that monster game against the Browns 3 seasons ago, that says anything but "he's just a volume back". He has far more "14 carries for 37 yards" type of performances than any sort of performances that you can call dominant. Maybe he shows glimpses where he takes over for a quarter, sure, but I figure most players can do that.

For comparison, Warren has 12 performances of 5.0 yards/carry or better, and even if you take out the sub-50 yard games, he's still at 6 games of things like "11 carries for 88 yards" or "15 carries for 101 yards". And that's with Warren playing a season less than Harris.
More petty social media BS but here's what Zaire Franklin had to say...

1727649172675.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad