OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Antonio Brown > Mike Wallace

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Bryant gets popped with weed again, he's out a year, correct?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Bryant has the ability to be an all time great - now does he have the mind to be an all time great. Absolutely unbelievable skillset, and he has made me look so very, very, VERY bad. Stoked as hell to see this receiving corps develop together.

I was looking at the stat line...Blake was either a monster defensively, or they terrorized him. He had double the tackles anyone else had on the team, so he was either playing real well in the running game, or he was just getting passed over all game long.

Sorry to see my suspicions were correct.

Well you did say you didn't like Bryant's chances in the pros because you felt he was basically stupid. Looks like you weren't exactly wrong there...

On Blake... he's bad. Stiff hips, always trailing, bad foot work, and he's only in there because he's been in the system for awhile and he can hit hard. He almost gave up a second TD that would have f***ed the Steelers hard. Flanker went post to corner and Blake took a nap on the turf. Dude was wide open and Palmer blew the throw somehow.

Jones is my guy. I don't have any technical rationalization behind why I always felt he would be a decent backup in this league and wasn't the bust people made him out to be. I just liked his tools and felt he always looked good when they went up tempo. If he's under center running a base offense, he isn't as effective. However, he seems to thrive when they run that K gun style offense.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Good for Landry. That was a tough team he helped beat today!

I also want to give a shoutout to Tomlin. I hammered the guy these last couple years and i doubted both his coaching and talent evaluation.
As to the latter, he has built the most dynamic offense in football. No team has the weapons that The Steelers have. The defense is miles a head of where I hoped they would be as well

But the main reason I will never be a critic of his ever again is the heart this team has showed since Ben went down. When you can lead rich grown men to lay it all on the line week after week, especially when they have a built in excuse to throw in the towel, that is leadership. He may not be the best at clock management and may have some other flaws as well, but the guy is a DAMN good leader.

Hats of to you Mikey T,...,, you are a GREAT HC!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Well you did say you didn't like Bryant's chances in the pros because you felt he was basically stupid. Looks like you weren't exactly wrong there...

On Blake... he's bad. Stiff hips, always trailing, bad foot work, and he's only in there because he's been in the system for awhile and he can hit hard. He almost gave up a second TD that would have f***ed the Steelers hard. Flanker went post to corner and Blake took a nap on the turf. Dude was wide open and Palmer blew the throw somehow.

Jones is my guy. I don't have any technical rationalization behind why I always felt he would be a decent backup in this league and wasn't the bust people made him out to be. I just liked his tools and felt he always looked good when they went up tempo. If he's under center running a base offense, he isn't as effective. However, he seems to thrive when they run that K gun style offense.

I did think he was too dumb to keep himself clean, but I didn't think he'd be able to YAC the way he does. It's insane what the dude can do when you get the ball in his hands. I also expected wayyyy more drops than he has had. He had a drop issue in college. I expected much of the same.

Blake is one of those guys - the coaching staff will applaud him tomorrow, but when you watch the games, you shake your head. They were just talking this past week on the radio about how he was one of the surprises this season, and how he has played well. I haven't seen it.

I have soured on Jones, but I was a huge fan of us drafting him. You are correct though, it seems as those the faster you can pace the game for him, the better he is. He has the smarts to general the offense. Maybe that is what the issue is.

Ten, I believe.

He said it won't happen again. No worries.

I feel as though we need to create a group of 12 members and it is kind of like the military reserves "three days a month, you are in charge of watching Martavis."

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Jones looked like a calm & cool 10-year vet in the pocket today. He was making all the correct reads and never held on to the ball for too long. Aside from his 1st td pass, I thought his best pass was the 3rd down conversion to Miller. Arizona was blitzing hard and he quickly went through his progression and hit Miller for the 1st down. If he takes an extra 1/4 second to make the read it's a sack.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I REALLY want to see him turn a corner the next 2 or 3 games and really up his value.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I haven't been paying much attention, but have they given a timetable for Ben yet? Last I heard, he was refuting reports that he'd be back earlier than anticipated. If Jones keeps playing well, Ben can take extra precautions coming back.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
It was 4-6 weeks originally, so he'd be on schedule if he returned for the Cincy game. I think given the magnitude of that game, he'll play even if not quite 100%

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Not sure I agree with that at this stage in his career. He's not 23 anymore, and shouldn't be coming back early from injuries.

It obviously depends on the QB situation going forward though.

Snooki Stackhouse

Dec 6, 2007
Pittsburgh
It was weird seeing Landry come in and immediately being trusted to throw passes. I'd have thought they'd have him hand off to Bell and pray the D held on.

He sat in shotgun/pistol every play and looked extremely relaxed. It impressed me that the coaches had an immediate package for Jones that played to his strengths. I thought he looked awful in preseason but maybe that was running the Roethlisberger offense? Clearly this guy is at home in the gun. His ability to stand in the pocket and get the ball off while taking a hit was something I'd expect from a seasoned vet.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah, Jones just sucks sitting under center.

It seems the faster the offense goes, the better he got. Bryant helped his cause a ton too.

What a weird situation with almost no explanation. Today Jones looked like a great West Coast QB. A guy who sits back in the gun, and just picks defenses apart. I really want to see more of him. How he has sucked in basically every amount of playing time he's had since being drafted, and then went out and did what he did today is something I can't quite wrap my head around.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Bryant's game speed is outrageous. He just calmly accelerated to his top speed with that final cutback and made other big fast supersthletes look foolish

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
Not having seen Jones play at all was this his first real playing time with first teamers? Could that be part of the success? Did not see game was stuck with Browns game.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know how they are winning... but it's flat out awesome. It's actually allowing Ben to fully heal instead of trying to be a superhero and come back too early.

Huge props to Landry. I just didn't expect that.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I forget if Landry Jones ever saw the field with Antonio Brown in the preseason. He definitely had some games where he had the bulk of the first unit for a small stretch early in preseason games but it wasn't pretty. It has to be hard for a backup QB though. I almost wish there was somewhere you could send these young backup QB's to play because I think the extreme amount of inactivity hurts their development. They usually play preseason games and then don't play again for a whole year.

I actually thought Jones did better in the preseason this year in terms of his internal clock and getting the ball out quicker. It seemed like his internal clock was completely broken in his first two preseasons. The problem this year was he just wasn't making enough plays and leading the team to points. Some of that could be the limited time with the first teamers/playmakers though. I guess we'll find out if he gets another shot at some point.

I'm somewhat worried about Ben coming back too soon. He needs to come back when he's capable of being himself out there. There's been a couple of times in the past where he got injured and wasn't the same player after coming back from injury. One was after an ankle injury against Cleveland where he just didn't have the same mobility and the other was a few years ago when he hurt his ribs and shoulder against KC and couldn't throw the ball the same way after he came back from that one. There's enough time left in this season to let his knee heal 100%.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Evidently Tomlin didn't provide a real answer as to who will start next week. Said it will depend on several factors, including health. I read that as Vick starts if he can go. That's insane. Jones played well when he got the opportunity. I don't necessarily think Jones can keep his level of play as high as it was today, but I find it very likely that he continues to play better than Vick has (a very low standard).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jones obviously was an improvement over what Vick was doing. But from watching at the game he hardly seemed to be throwing lasers right in receiver's hands most of the time.

I remember Cris Collinsworth being interviewed about being seen as an acrobatic receiver coming out of college from the University of Florida. And he said something along the lines of that he was not really an acrobatic receiver by choice, but that his quarterbacks sucked so badly that the ball could miss 15 yards to the right, left, in front of him or beyond him. So if he was going to catch anything it had to be acrobatic.

I had that feeling watching the Steeler receivers with Jones at times. The receivers really had to adjust to the throws many times, and several throws were low and behind which the receivers had no play on at all. Though maybe he looked better on television than that.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
My thoughts:

How about Boswell eh? If he was signed week 1 we'd be 5-1. What a pick up.

Also, the D is playing incredible considering the "talent" in the backfield. Keith Butler is a bad man.

Bell is incredible. I don't see how he isn't the best RB in the NFL.

AB is a cry baby.

I keep expecting Bryant to be a fluke, but every week he comes up huge.

Any update on Beachum?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Jones obviously was an improvement over what Vick was doing. But from watching at the game he hardly seemed to be throwing lasers right in receiver's hands most of the time.

I remember Cris Collinsworth being interviewed about being seen as an acrobatic receiver coming out of college from the University of Florida. And he said something along the lines of that he was not really an acrobatic receiver by choice, but that his quarterbacks sucked so badly that the ball could miss 15 yards to the right, left, in front of him or beyond him. So if he was going to catch anything it had to be acrobatic.

I had that feeling watching the Steeler receivers with Jones at times. The receivers really had to adjust to the throws many times, and several throws were low and behind which the receivers had no play on at all. Though maybe he looked better on television than that.

I didn't notice his balls being poorly thrown.

He put the ball in the window where the flankers could catch the ball. That is about all you can ask from a third string QB playing in his first game, coming in cold in the middle of the third quarter. He made the reads, made the throws, and made big plays when they desperately needed them. I even saw him audible out of a few plays as well.

He got the job done, and played well. His first pass went for more yards than Vick threw for in 2+ quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad