Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
I think I actually preferred McCain to Knecht. If shooting is the major part of your value, why did you shoot 75%, 77%, and 77% from the FT line? McCain shot just under 89% and is almost 3 full years younger. 3 inches of height is great, but it doesn’t trump those other aspects for me.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
From only the ACC and NCAA tournaments and stat reading, is it me or is there a lot of similarities to Maxey and McCain?

McCain: 20 yo freshman at the draft, 14.3 ppg on 46% shooting; 52% 2pt, 41% 3pt, 89% ft, smiles a lot, wore blue in college, 6'3 197lbs

Maxey: 20 yo freshman at the draft, 14 ppg on 43% shooting; 49% 2pt, 29%(!) 3pt, 83% ft, smiles a lot, wore blue in college, 6'2 200lbs

I'm just saying

Reactions: Rebels57

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
After sleeping on it... i am whelmed. I don't hate it, i don't love it.

I guess, at best, i could say i'm pleasantly surprised that they didn't trade it for an older player who could contribute now but also doesn't really move the needle. At least there's upside with McCain given his age.

I have no opinions on the TikTok shit until i see him on the court.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
From only the ACC and NCAA tournaments and stat reading, is it me or is there a lot of similarities to Maxey and McCain?

McCain: 20 yo freshman at the draft, 14.3 ppg on 46% shooting; 52% 2pt, 41% 3pt, 89% ft, smiles a lot, wore blue in college, 6'3 197lbs

Maxey: 20 yo freshman at the draft, 14 ppg on 43% shooting; 49% 2pt, 29%(!) 3pt, 83% ft, smiles a lot, wore blue in college, 6'2 200lbs

I'm just saying
You noted the difference, and it’s significant. But not in an especially good way. There were doubts about Maxey’s shooting coming out of college. What he had was speed. He could always blow by defenders. He addressed the shooting question and now he’s an all star. McCain is the opposite case. No doubts about his shooting, but he does not have Maxey’s handle or quickness. You can teach shooting but you can’t teach speed. For McCain think more along the lines of (hopefully) the next Seth (not Steph) Curry. Catch and shoot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DancingPanther

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
If you go back to the Maxey draft thread, I promise you I was in there saying the idea that Maxey couldn’t shoot was completely wrong. Don’t look at NCAA 3PT%. FT% is much more closely associated with NBA 3PT shooting prowess. The NCAA 3 is a different shot borne out of different situations. FTs are pure technique.

Now Maxey had star outcomes. McCain doesn’t. But I think he’s got a solid chance to be a passable defender for his size.

Last edited:
Reactions: DancingPanther

Embiid

This show is now rated "PG"
May 27, 2010
Negadelphia
Given how the Sixers picked a gem in Maxey and salvaged that Fultz fopaux....gonna give them more than the benefit of the doubt on Lee press on nails McCain.

As far as doing anything this offseason that moves the needle beyond playoff mediocrity....not so generous.

Chinatown88

348 days and counting
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
If you go back to the Maxey draft thread, I promise you I was in there saying the idea that Maxey couldn’t shoot was completely wrong. Don’t look at NCAA 3PT%. FT% is much more closely associated with NBA 3PT shooting prowess. The NCAA 3 is a different shot borne out of different situations. FTs are pure technique.

Now Maxey had star outcomes. McCain doesn’t. But I think he’s got a solid chance to be a passable defender for his size.
You have no idea how much I'm tempted to turn this into a pizza oven copy pasta.

• Wow
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

The Hawks are drunk. I’d like to know what Young would cost. There are major problems there, but I still want to know.

*Edit* Apparently there are some non-criminal/non-DV/non-substance off court issues…
Please tell me that you would not even for an instant consider trading for Trae Young. You don't even have to really mean it, just post it for the record.

• Haha

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Please tell me that you would not even for an instant consider trading for Trae Young. You don't even have to really mean it, just post it for the record.

There’s no realistic situation in which I think it makes sense for the Sixers to take 3/135 of Trae Young. There are teams out there I think should be interested if the price is nothing and/or includes dumping a terrible contract back.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
There’s no realistic situation in which I think it makes sense for the Sixers to take 3/135 of Trae Young. There are teams out there I think should be interested if the price is nothing and/or includes dumping a terrible contract back.
denzel-washington-my-heart.gif

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad