The "Panic about Matt Duchene" thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Would you guys be interested in trading Matt Duchene to the Oilers for their first +? Draft Grigs to replace him.

Yes, i would.

Duchene is kind of overrated around here because he has some fans around here convinced he's gonna be a great player.

I don't buy it, he's too small for the kind of game he wants to play, which is somewhat Forsberg style.

He shows some flashes of skill where he makes some skillful moves and stuff everynow and then and people buy into it. I for one think he's gonna be a pretty inconsistent player in the NHL

Last edited:

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Trolling and jokes aside, Duchene won't be traded save a overpayment and the Avs won't be looking to move him. He'll be fine. He had a bad year. It'd be hypocritical of me to jump him for that while defending Stastny over his bad year*.

However there are obvious concerns in his game right now. One being the constant spinning and lack of defensive play or rather the deterioration of it since his 1st year.

All of this can be fixed if he starts backchecking. This is something he should learn due to him being a center. He has done it before and can do it again by just simplifying his game. He also needs to start slowing down. He doesn't see the whole ice when he tries to make a highlight real play. If he lets the play catch up with him he can use his linemates better.

Overall I think he just needs to relax and not come in worrying about the huge expectations for him.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
Here's where people will jump in and say he's an idiot for doing it.

He's an idiot for doing it.

Of course, if O'Reilly did it, they'd say what a warrior he is.

Look at that defensive stud. Knows when to backcheck and win faceoffs at curtail moments.

Duchene bashing is practiaclly becoming fashionable around here, but I guess people needed something to do with their Stastny hate.

Its not a bashing per say. I am glad he wants to help the team, that attitude will go a long way. However there is a difference between what you want to do and what you are actually doing. Duchene's numerous turn around, lack of defensive effort and constantly trying to do all by himself attitude isn't helping the team. Sure its nice to see but I don't see how it helped. This has to do with maturity and accepting that you need to heal first before putting more pressure on yourself to succeed.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I think Duchene needs to change his game style to be a consistent player in the NHL. He needs to stop the spin moves, and he needs to stop trying to protect the puck while much bigger d-men try to take it away.He's simply not big and strong enough for that kind of game. Most of the time the bigger d-men end up knocking him off the puck and he becomes really ineffective.

Duchene needs to use his strength which is speed not power game, and he needs to work more and more on his shot because he should be a good player using his speed and shooting the puck.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I think Duchene needs to change his game style to be a consistent player in the NHL. He needs to stop the spin moves, and he needs to stop trying to protect the puck while much bigger d-men try to take it away.He's simply not big and strong enough for that kind of game. Most of the time the bigger d-men end up knocking him off the puck and he becomes really ineffective.

Duchene needs to use his strength which is speed not power game, and he needs to work more and more on his shot because he should be a good player using his speed and shooting the puck.

Haha do you want him to just give bigger D-men the puck?

MADGREEK*

He's saying that's exactly what he does when he tries to go up against them, and ends up skating around like a figure skater on roids.

He needs to cut that out. It should be cut out of the game by Midget AAA.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

No, he should not get himself in a situation where he's battling with big d-men trying to do more than he can handle, he's trying to be Forsberg out there, and im simply saying he's not strong or big enough to do that.

What he needs to do is move his feet because he's a quick player, he should try to work on give and go's, when he gets the puck instead of trying to do things by himself, he should use his team mates, pass the puck and get open to get the puck back and shoot.

Again, his strengths are his speed and shot, he's quick on both, maybe needs to work on his shot a little bit too.

MADGREEK*

Needs to work on his shot a lot imo.

It's wildly inaccurate and his release is often nothing to write home about.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
Its not a bashing per say. I am glad he wants to help the team, that attitude will go a long way. However there is a difference between what you want to do and what you are actually doing. Duchene's numerous turn around, lack of defensive effort and constantly trying to do all by himself attitude isn't helping the team. Sure its nice to see but I don't see how it helped. This has to do with maturity and accepting that you need to heal first before putting more pressure on yourself to succeed.

I see what you're saying, but in that instance, it's not up to Duchene to shut himself down. That's what the coaching staff is there for and it's their call to make. Any player worth his salt is going to want to be out there when his team is in a desperate push for the playoffs. If his playing on one good leg right now is that big of a detriment to the team, Sacco needs to be the one to go to him and tell him he's going to sit until he's healthy, even if that means saying "see you in training camp."

Adama0905

Dec 25, 2007
Boulder, CO
Matt Duchene's probably not lived up the the hype as a #3 pick. Debatable.

But if Matt Duchene was chosen at #15 or so, we probably wouldn't be having these convos.

With that in mind, why would you trade Duchene for a draft pick???????

I'm not a huge Duchene fan, but some of this stuff is becoming just pure illogical.

Wow. 21.

When the guy is thirty years old and only has about 300 points, then you can say he hasn't lived up to the hype. But let's at least give him til 25, shall we?

member 116861

I remember when Avs fans kept telling me that Duchene is better than Godgson.

:shakehead

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Matt Duchene's probably not lived up the the hype as a #3 pick. Debatable.

3rd overall picks going back to 2000:

Forwards:
2011- Jonathon Huberdeau
2007- Kyle Turris
2006- Jonathon Toews
2003- Nathan Horton
2001- Alexander Svitov
2000- Marion Gaborik

Defencemen:
2010- Erik Gudbranson
2008- Zack Bogosian
2005- Jack Johnson
2004- Cam Barker
2003- Jay Bouwmeester

Some potential left with Gudbranson/Bogosian/Huberdeau I guess to be better than Duchene, but other than Toews/Gaborik I can't say Duchene hasn't/won't live up to the rest of those 3rd overall picks' careers.

marioni

Apr 3, 2011
I think Duchene needs to change his game style to be a consistent player in the NHL. He needs to stop the spin moves, and he needs to stop trying to protect the puck while much bigger d-men try to take it away.

He will learn all that as he gets more experienced.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
No, he should not get himself in a situation where he's battling with big d-men trying to do more than he can handle, he's trying to be Forsberg out there, and im simply saying he's not strong or big enough to do that.

What he needs to do is move his feet because he's a quick player, he should try to work on give and go's, when he gets the puck instead of trying to do things by himself, he should use his team mates, pass the puck and get open to get the puck back and shoot.

Again, his strengths are his speed and shot, he's quick on both, maybe needs to work on his shot a little bit too.

He does need to stop spinning into defenders, but spinning away creates space and separation. He just needs to pick his spots when to do it.

Your statement looked like you were saying he should stop trying to protect the puck from bigger defenders. If you were saying this it is false. If you are cycling and get pinned by a defenseman you should try to protect the puck and wait for support.

the_fan

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He does need to stop spinning into defenders, but spinning away creates space and separation. He just needs to pick his spots when to do it.

Your statement looked like you were saying he should stop trying to protect the puck from bigger defenders. If you were saying this it is false. If you are cycling and get pinned by a defenseman you should try to protect the puck and wait for support.

What i meant by that is he tries to do too much out there, more than he can handle. He gets the puck and always tries to face away from d-men and protect it, then do his spin moves to create space.

That's not a bad idea if you are a strong player. Forsberg did that all the time, but Forsberg could handle it because he was very strong, Duchene is not strong enough to always try that move.

Most of the time d-men end up knocking Duchene off the puck and that's why he has been ineffective. That's not his game, his game is speed and he should use it. If Duchene is trying to copy his game from someone, instead of being like Forsberg he should be more like Sakic.

You hardly ever saw Sakic back up into d-men, protect the puck, do spin moves and stuff. Sakic used his speed and his shot all the time, and that's what Duchene should be doing to be effective.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad