The Other Sports Thread (Titans, Vols, Dores, etc) - Part IV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Crystal Dangerfield racking up the accolades, state and nationally
More than this Dangerfield?
No-Respect.jpg

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Steelers fan here too, and just cannot pull for the Tutones across the creek. They will always be the Oilers to me.
Me, too!

I tried to be a Titans fan when they first came here, but I just could never fully get into them.

I grew up a Pens fan and instantly jumped onto the Preds, but I just can't do the Titans.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
As insane as it is that Vandy continues to find paychecks for Kevin Stallings, my other two basketball teams got wins. San Diego State beat Utah State (everyone cares!!) and Western Kentucky knocked off C-USA #1 seed UAB who were 26-5 this year.

And the WKU win hurts Vandys already slim chance at an at large bid

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
See, I genuinely hate the Titans. I didn't used to when I was little, but as I matured I realized two things:

1. Football is boring compared to hockey
2. The better the Titans do, the more undeserved attention they get around the city. More people talk about football, less people talk about hockey. Titans doing poorly is good for the Preds in terms of media exposure and attendance.

I'm thankful they are a dumpster fire and may they remain like that for the next decade. May the Titans forever be the post lockout Oilers.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
See, I genuinely hate the Titans. I didn't used to when I was little, but as I matured I realized two things:

2. The better the Titans do, the more undeserved attention they get around the city. More people talk about football, less people talk about hockey. Titans doing poorly is good for the Preds in terms of media exposure and attendance.

I'm thankful they are a dumpster fire and may they remain like that for the next decade. May the Titans forever be the post lockout Oilers.

Totally agree + I will add in I 100% HATE football.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville

Why is attention "undeserved" if they're playing well? I'm a Chargers fan but I enjoy seeing the Titans do well and I'm intrigued by Mariota and how their new GM can probably turn things around for them. Every NFL city in the country will be talking ad nauseum about their team if they're playing well. If you want to be in a place where the hockey talk is more prevalent than football talk, you may want to head north of the border. I'd be willing to bet the NFL team is more talked about than the NHL team in town in every single American market that has both. It's not a Nashville thing, it's an American thing.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I love hockey. It's my favorite. But I like football, too.

But I like sports in general-- I have been known to spend Friday night watching Curling and Saturday afternoon watching pro bowling, cheerleading competitions and the rodeo.

Hockey, though. Hockey WINS.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I'm a hockey fan first, but I'm just a sports fan in general. Preds, Titans, Vols, Braves are my teams and always will be. The only sport I don't care one iota about anymore is NBA basketball.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'm a hockey fan first, but I'm just a sports fan in general. Preds, Titans, Vols, Braves are my teams and always will be. The only sport I don't care one iota about anymore is NBA basketball.
I tend to be this way also. Preds, Padres, Chargers, Seattle Sounders, Fulham FC (England), and a few teams in college sports. I used to love the NBA but it's now way, way down on my interest list. I'm just a sports fan and obviously hockey is on top but that doesn't kill my interest in other sports.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I love hockey. It's my favorite. But I like football, too.

But I like sports in general-- I have been known to spend Friday night watching Curling and Saturday afternoon watching pro bowling, cheerleading competitions and the rodeo.

Hockey, though. Hockey WINS.
More or less same here. I admit there's some sports I don't particularly care for - basketball and baseball in particular - but at the same time, I enjoy highlights and games of Gaelic football, and I make some effort to follow the State Of Origin series (hoping NSW can reverse their current downturn ;) ). I'd claim that I'm therefore a hipster sports fan, except that Buckeye Football is the only thing that comes close to hockey for me and that's about as non-mainstream as Hollywood. :D

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
More or less same here. I admit there's some sports I don't particularly care for - basketball and baseball in particular - but at the same time, I enjoy highlights and games of Gaelic football, and I make some effort to follow the State Of Origin series (hoping NSW can reverse their current downturn ;) ). I'd claim that I'm therefore a hipster sports fan, except that Buckeye Football is the only thing that comes close to hockey for me and that's about as non-mainstream as Hollywood. :D
Currently in great limbo over if I want the Chargers to draft Joey Bosa......

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Football will always be more popular here than hockey. That's just a fact of the South. But one thing I've come to realize is that hockey is by far the superior live sport.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Football will always be more popular here than hockey. That's just a fact of the South. But one thing I've come to realize is that hockey is by far the superior live sport.
It's a fact of the US, not the south. Hell, the Titans pale in comparison to UT football and SEC football as a whole.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

Montreal 2009-we ate at a typical Irish pub--served fish and chips and Guinness. They had this odd conglomeration of football/soccer/Arena football on TV. I THINK it was Australian Football but maybe it was Gaelic. The broadcast, menu, and conversation were all in French so I was making as much sense of it as I could with my limited skills.

I am not drawn to golf, boxing/wrestling, NBA, MLB, soccer, and racing of most ilks...but if I have to watch it I'm not distressed or anything. I draw the line at eating contests.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
It's a fact of the US, not the south. Hell, the Titans pale in comparison to UT football and SEC football as a whole.

Yeah I think that is just the newness of them to the region. I grew up in Knoxville and only cared about college football all the way up until the Titans came. It's amazing what a new team that makes a Super Bowl run in their first season can do for manufacturing a new fan base.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Does anyone at all have any tickets for the night session at the SEC tourney today? I'm taking my girlfriend, who is a UT fan, but she's never been to a Kentucky basketball game and I'm dying to get her to one. I'm taking $200 down with me here in a bit hoping to get in the door. Unless anyone on here has any cheaper or knows someone who does. If so, call me at 270-799-7869. Name is Scott. Thanks.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
except that Buckeye Football is the only thing that comes close to hockey for me and that's about as non-mainstream as Hollywood. :D

OK, Viqsi - I know you're buds with a few of the posters so we grin and bear it with a BJs fan posting here all the time, but this .... this.... admission that you not only follow but so strongly root for the abomination that is bucky football..... Off our boards with you!! :naughty:

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
I'm another General Sports Fan. Always bothered me when I moved down here from CT/NY area that people could love the other 3 major sports, but disrespect hockey.

I'm Preds .... NY Jets .... NY Mets .... Vandy (football, b-ball, baseball). Used to be big NY Nets fan in the ABA (Dr. J), while also a NY Knicks fan (Willis Reed, Clyde Frazier, etc). 1969 was my banner year. As an 11 year old, The Mets, Jets, and Knicks won World Championships. The Nets won me an ABA Championship also. Adopted the Islanders in 1972 as an expansion team. Rode them all the way to 4 Cups (1979-1982). Thought it would always be this easy. Moved the Hartford and adopted the Whalers. Little did I know the 1986 Mets would be my last championship. 30 friggin' years wandering the desert of might-have-beens. The Mets surprisingly teased me last year.

Gonna be 58 in October. Don't want to be morose but I'm not gettign any younger. My best shot right now is the Mets, with all that pitching. But I really want it to be the Preds. Having experienced 4 Cups with the Isles, I was still too young to fully appreciate it.

"Captain Shea Weber, come get your Stanley Cup"

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Currently in great limbo over if I want the Chargers to draft Joey Bosa......

I don't follow any NFL teams so I can't really comment, but he's been awesome for us and I expect* for that to continue through a pro career. :)

Some of the other guys, tho... I'm not sure what Cardale Jones is thinking. I hope it works out for him, but... :dunno: This may be where that "Viqsi doesn't follow the pro game" thing comes into play, but I would think he still needs a lot of practice. Then again, maybe I'm just being greedy and wishing he stayed. :D

*: normally I'd say "hope", but, well, given his likely draft position... ;)

* * *​
Montreal 2009-we ate at a typical Irish pub--served fish and chips and Guinness. They had this odd conglomeration of football/soccer/Arena football on TV. I THINK it was Australian Football but maybe it was Gaelic. The broadcast, menu, and conversation were all in French so I was making as much sense of it as I could with my limited skills.

If they had to keep dribbling the ball periodically as they carried it, passed the ball with volleyball-style hits, and could kick it either into the net or between posts over the net, it was almost certainly Gaelic. There's a few full-length games on YouTube.

* * *​
OK, Viqsi - I know you're buds with a few of the posters so we grin and bear it with a BJs fan posting here all the time, but this .... this.... admission that you not only follow but so strongly root for the abomination that is bucky football..... Off our boards with you!! :naughty:

I refuse to apologize for who and what I am. O-H! :yo: :D

EDIT: Besides, I willingly go into SEC territory because of my love of hockey. Doesn't that help a little? ;)

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
If they had to keep dribbling the ball periodically as they carried it, passed the ball with volleyball-style hits, and could kick it either into the net or between posts over the net, it was almost certainly Gaelic. There's a few full-length games on YouTube.

That's IT!

Fun game to watch particularly when one is completely clueless. Beer doesn't hurt, either.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I too like a lot of spectator sports

Preds
Reds
UK Wildcats
Murray State Racers

I used to be a big Miami Dolphins fan but dropped them after they gave Don Shula the bums rush to make way for Jimmy Johnson. Sorta have followed the Bengals and Packers after that.

Only time I even know the NBA exists is every summer when multiple Wildcats get drafted

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I LOVE hockey. I can watch any game, and all day long.

I love football, but I can only stand to watch my teams. I can watch other games for a little while, but if something else is on I might/probably will change the channel. I'll check back from time to time, look for a score. Unless it's a game that is supposed to be a big game or a traditional game then i'll probably watch the whole game (ala/aub, mich/st, usc/ucla, ne/den, gb/chi, etc.)

I like baseball, but I can only stand my team, I don't usually watch other games unless it's the playoffs.

I don't like basketball. I watch my school, but that is all. Honestly, I can't stand basketball. Too many things are fouls, you can't touch anyone and all the fouling and timeouts at the end of a close game is annoying.

I'm another General Sports Fan. Always bothered me when I moved down here from CT/NY area that people could love the other 3 major sports, but disrespect hockey.
That's what I can't stand. For a lot of people, it was either the Preds or the Titans. They couldn't support both and I never understood that. Now, it is getting a lot better since the Preds have been doing better and have some good/star players. I definitely see a lot more Predators gear around town than I ever used to. I think the games are back to being a "thing" to do/be seen at again. Obviously a bad football team, good hockey team and the all-star event really help the Preds/games become a popular scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad