The NHL has gotta stop the BS after clean hits

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Just an example of what I’m talkin about- Kurashev gets caught clean, gets up, and gets 2 free rabbit punches on Krebs, who already got jumped by Bertuzzi. It’s hockey, stop being wusses, hit happens. I’d argue for a 1 game sussy for any sissy who jumps a guy while play is ongoing. You wanna fight, square up, but this stuff is just stupid.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
I'm a lover of physical play and fighting but absolutely agree this type of action takes away from the integrity of the game. It was a perfectly clean hit. If it was dirty, then I could maybe make some concessions for jumping a guy.

Whatever happened to taking a number and getting him back later on?

Last edited:

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Except the players dont get the benefit of a replay or seeing the hit from off the ice. NHL just needs to do a better job at protecting players from each other.

Reactions: nturn06

bov

Nov 13, 2010
You don't have to fight after a clean hit. If someone wants to take a penalty , then so be it. I don't know what the calls were but I'd imagine that was at least a 2 min PP (could've argued an extra minor on Kurashev too) for Buffalo at a crucial time in the game. It was a pretty harmless scrum, I'm sure they'll take it .

StammerHammer

Dec 23, 2021
They should quit handing out penalties to the guy that is just defending himself for being jumped. Just a penalty to the jerk that starts the whole thing. That would eliminate the offsetting of penalties and actually penalize the offending team.

Of course if the refs would enforce the instigator rule this wouldn't be necessary.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Except the players dont get the benefit of a replay or seeing the hit from off the ice. NHL just needs to do a better job at protecting players from each other.

You’re absolutely right, but that bleeds into a whole ‘nother discussion. Yes, nhl needs to actually follow its own rules, hold refs accountable- you know the NFL, the league ruling ‘em all? Be more like them.
Bertuzzi put his team shorthanded late while trailing so it's not like he wasn't punished

The Sabres power play is not a punishment.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Why? We don’t like fights suddenly? The league has always been like this. It’s not some new revelation. When your team mate takes a violent hit you defend him. Makes guys think twice about crushing your team mates. It used to only be Montreal Canadien fans that preach this. Now Americans are preaching it? Hockey teams used to employ fighters just so Americans would watch the sport.

• Haha
Reactions: Fuhrious

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Context is important. They played 55 minutes prior to this and I have no idea what the vibe was during the game. This could very well be the tipping point.

Regardless, I have no problem with the response by Bertuzzi. I’m sure Chicago fans would prefer this over guys getting wrecked while their teammates sit and stare.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Why? We don’t like fights suddenly? The league has always been like this. It’s not some new revelation. When your team mate takes a violent hit you defend him. Makes guys think twice about crushing your team mates. It used to only be Montreal Canadien fans that preach this. Now Americans are preaching it? Hockey teams used to employ fighters just so Americans would watch the sport.

You are living in 1985 🤣

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What's the difference between doing it right away, and looking at an iPad on the bench for a shift or two and then going after him, if necessary?

Reactions: wolfgaze

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
It is just dumb. If hitting is part of the game, why do the players freak out whenever they get hit cleanly? The NHL needs to just get rid of fighting already. If the refs actually called things appropriately, there would be no need for teams to take matters into their own hands. Of course, we can't rely on the officials to actually do their jobs.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Context is important. They played 55 minutes prior to this and I have no idea what the vibe was during the game. This could very well be the tipping point.

Regardless, I have no problem with the response by Bertuzzi. I’m sure Chicago fans would prefer this over guys getting wrecked while their teammates sit and stare.
1. There was no physicality to the game anywhere prior to this clean hockey play. It wasn’t a tipping point for shit.

2. “Response by Bertuzzi”. Response for what? Seriously? A guy get jumped for a picture perfect clean play and you have no problem with that being both stupid and soft? That’s a you problem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad