OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Classic Rock 92.9 WBOS-FM

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
To say Brian Wilson is an interesting dude is to understate the matter considerably.

He is a straight up pop music genius.

As a singer, songwriter, arranger and producer, few are his equal.

"Music 🎶 is the voice of God," Wilson
once said.

If the language is divine, Brian is a phenomenal interpreter who gave the world a glimpse of heaven.

All of this while contending with a bum right ear, an overbearing, abusive father, and lifelong mental illness.

It's a hell of a story,

He also famously couldn't read music. He kept all the arrangements in his head, and used to hum out the parts he wanted each instrument to play. The Wrecking Crew (whom he used for later albums while the rest of the band toured) said they had never seen anything like it before. Sheer genius.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
It is unfortunate in the extreme that for whatever reason, WGBH Boston, which produced the superlative 1995 documentary "Rock & Roll," has not made its 10 part series available on YouTube for all to see.

Only scraps can be viewed.

If you can find any episodes or even segments, I urge you to do so.

The mellifluous Liev Schreiber narrates.

Pick up at 36: 45,

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
To say Brian Wilson is an interesting dude is to understate the matter considerably.

He is a straight up pop music genius.

As a singer, songwriter, arranger and producer, few are his equal.

"Music 🎶 is the voice of God," Wilson
once said.

If the language is divine, Brian is a phenomenal interpreter who gave the world a glimpse of heaven.

All of this while contending with a bum right ear, an overbearing, abusive father, and lifelong mental illness.

It's a hell of a story,

I’ve been listening to “ Smiley Smile “ a lot lately. Was that album considered scraps from the original Smile album ? For scraps , it’s a damn good album .

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I’ve been listening to “ Smiley Smile “ a lot lately. Was that album considered scraps from the original Smile album ? For scraps , it’s a damn good album .
Yes.

Brian finally got around to recording a version of the original "Smile" concept.

Search for same on Wikipedia for background information.

YouTube, Apple Music, etc.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I find it such a beautiful and softly psychedelic album. If you can listen to it in the dark, on headphones, that's the best experience imo.

One of the best concerts I went to. '89 Green Tour at Great Woods. Off one of my favorite albums (Life's Rich Pageant). Mike Mills is an underrated harmony singer.

Man, that sounds like a precious memory. One of my top bands ever. Best American band ever? I'm inclined to think so.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I'm walking home with the Dude on this one

Townes!

I find it such a beautiful and softly psychedelic album. If you can listen to it in the dark, on headphones, that's the best experience imo.

Man, that sounds like a precious memory. One of my top bands ever. Best American band ever? I'm inclined to think so.
I liked a lot of their stuff. Best American band ever? At, I don't think so. ✌️🐷

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Townes!

I liked a lot of their stuff. Best American band ever? At, I don't think so. ✌️🐷
I think they might be. Top tier with Ramones, better than other candidates like CCR, Talking Heads, Velvet Underground, Pavement, Beach Boys… far from exhaustive list but yeah, I think R.E.M. are best. They had like 3 less than great albums in almost 30 years imo

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
Greatest American band to have ever done an Andy Kaufman tribute song

Now, Andy, did you hear about this one?
Tell me, are you locked in the punch?
Hey Andy, are you goofing on Elvis?
Hey baby, are we losing touch?

If you believed they put a man on the moon
Man on the moon
If you believe there's nothing up his sleeve
Then nothing is cool

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I think they might be. Top tier with Ramones, better than other candidates like CCR, Talking Heads, Velvet Underground, Pavement, Beach Boys… far from exhaustive list but yeah, I think R.E.M. are best. They had like 3 less than great albums in almost 30 years imo
Again, that's why they make vanilla and chocolate. It's fun to debate.

My college friends and I were on to REM fairly early, courtesy of Emerson's WERS.

"Radio Free Europe." Great song. Still don't know what it means.

"Fall On Me" is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Ditto "Don't Go Back to Rockville," "Cuyahoga," "Losing My Religion," "Radio Song."

Favorite album and candidate for their best IMHO,

Automatic For the People:

"Man On the Moon," "Night Swimming," and tied with "Radio Free Europe" & "Fall On Me" for all time favorite REM song, the sublime final track, "Find the River."

That song meant a lot to me.

After Automatic For the People (1992), I got off the train 🚂.

Novelty bit thereafter, a paean to, ah, "weird" CBS Nightly News anchor ⚓ Dan Rather, who attracted strange attention throughout his career,

"What's the Frequency Kenneth?"

Last edited:

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
One of our finest contemporary songwriters.

A partial list is lengthy,

Susan, and other summer haters, this is for you,

A cover, but a glorious one,

An original, and one of his very best,

English Nick Hornby wrote the book (which I did not read), and Hollywood made an Americanized John Cusack vehicle 🚜 out of it. Rather underwhelming IMHO, but a great time just the same,

Co-written with Burt Bacharach for the mid 90s film ""Grace of My Heart," a sweet, sweeping pastiche of the legendary Brill Building, hit-making songwriting team Goffin & King, crazy beautiful Phil Spector, also crazy beautiful Brian Wilson, and God knows what else.

You can find the Elvis/Burt recording on YouTube.

Posting the film version, featuring the wonderful Illeana Douglas as the Carole King protagonist (vocals by Kristen Vigard) and Matt Dillon as the Brian Wilson producer-autor character.

Lovely,

Lastly,

~ fin ~

Reactions: aguineapig72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad