OT: The Music Thread: Part IX - RIP Classic Rock 92.9 WBOS-FM

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
“The first time I saw Michael play guitar…it literally changed my life enough for me to say, ‘this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.’” — Carlos Santana

One of Carlos first recordings was live with Bloomfield

Bob and Bloomfield working on the farm

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Post-punk produced many excellent bands from the Talking Heads to Joy Division. One band that gets looked over a bit, in my opinion, is The Cult. The band from West Yorkshire takes a lot of the cues from its contemporaries, but adds in a more metallic element into their music until they eventually became a heavy metal band. And a pretty kick ass one at that. An approach that began on their second album Love. An album that was a commercial success and coming out for the band, the music on Love is nice and tight, taking a lot of the post-punk sound and lyrics while matching it perfectly with the heaviness and catchy punch of heavy metal. From the catchy big hit singles of "She Sells Sanctuary" and "Rain" to second look gems like "Nirvana", "Big Neon Glitter", and the title track, it's a nice little precursor for what would come with their next two albums when they would go full heavy metal with Rick Rubin as their producer for Electric and then enlisting Bob Rock to produce Sonic Temple. Ian Astbury's vocals are phenomenal and even have a bit of Glenn Danzig and Jim Morrison sound to it, Billy Duffy's riffs are catchy, varied, and memorable, Mark Brzezicki does a great job filling in on drums after the band had to dump their original drummer Nigel Preston mid recording due to his worsening addictions, and Jamie Stewart's bass work keeps the whole thing together very nicely. Highly recommended and especially if you want to check out The Cult's later work.

I really liked "she sells sanctuary." Back when I was singing in general business bands, I included it on a tape of songs before auditioning.

Reactions: EvilDead

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
“The first time I saw Michael play guitar…it literally changed my life enough for me to say, ‘this is what I want to do for the rest of my life.’” — Carlos Santana

One of Carlos first recordings was live with Bloomfield

Bob and Bloomfield working on the farm

Bloomfield was the sh"t.

A. Guinea beat me to the Newport Folk Festival performance, so here is the studio version,

Last edited:

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Went to see Steve Earle last night in Baltimore.
IMG_6140.jpeg

Really moving show. He played this one (video from a while back) - one of my favorites.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
I actually don't know anything about Moby Grape. My hazy understanding is that they were pretty heavy, like pre heavy metal heavy. Is that right?

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant especially were big fans of the band. Plant covered much of the funeral costs when Skip Spence passed and later covered Skip's Song written by Skip.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Jimmy Page and Robert Plant especially were big fans of the band. Plant covered much of the funeral costs when Skip Spence passed and later covered Skip's Song written by Skip.

Led Zep III, a different kettle of acoustic fish. Great album,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad