The Menu Part 14 The Coots / Striker Hot Dog is not a Sandwich Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
How do you have Tex-mex brisket by just using salt and pepper? American pepper and Mexican salt?
I said Tex Mex guys... if you've ever watched BBQ Pitmasters or the competition shows. There's two TexMex guys (different teams) that do it salt and pepper only.

Also added some pictures of my results to the other post :)

Reactions: Defect

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Im assuming this was a response to me. I dont have a smoker - though its on my list of things I want to get. Maybe now is a good time to do some research.
I got mine at depot for a song and a dance last year. It’s electric and doesn’t need a ton of prep work. Master built is the brand name, I recommend it.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
I said Tex Mex guys... if you've ever watched BBQ Pitmasters or the competition shows. There's two TexMex guys (different teams) that do it salt and pepper only.

Also added some pictures of my results to the other post :)
That fourth pic down definitely looks like it’s more than just salt and pepper. Looks like it could be any of the red spices I mentioned a post or two ago.
Just salt, pepper, and smoke seems boring.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
That fourth pic down definitely looks like it’s more than just salt and pepper. Looks like it could be any of the red spices I mentioned a post or two ago.
Just salt, pepper, and smoke seems boring.
Fourth is a Tri Tip and yes that got more...

Brisket (top) was salt and pepper.

Reactions: Defect

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I use the Masterbuilt Propane. Got it at Sam's club for about 199 a couple years ago.
I got mine at depot for a song and a dance last year. It’s electric and doesn’t need a ton of prep work. Master built is the brand name, I recommend it.

Masterbuilt seems to be the 'best' brand from what ive read - at least for the price range im looking at. I dont know that its really necessary, but i do like the idea of the ones with built in blue tooth/digital temperature settings.

MES 130|B Digital Electric Smoker

https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/smokers/products/mes-130-p-bluetooth-digital-electric-smoker

curious on your guys' thoughts between the two?

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Masterbuilt seems to be the 'best' brand from what ive read - at least for the price range im looking at. I dont know that its really necessary, but i do like the idea of the ones with built in blue tooth/digital temperature settings.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/collections/smokers/products/mes-130-p-bluetooth-digital-electric-smoker

I went with the Propane after reading about the electric version controls burning up often.

I use one of these to monitor the doneness of the que.

XR-30 Wireless BBQ Thermometer Set | Remote Meat Thermometer

Reactions: Starat327

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013

MES 130|P Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker

With no prices attached it’s hard to judge them, but I like the look of the one without the glass front.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
With no prices attached it’s hard to judge them, but I like the look of the one without the glass front.

Glass front/blue tooth option is $70 more (229 v 299). Appears to have similar features, just curious if theres something i 'missed' that you - or anyone, really - thinks would be a 'must have'.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Glass front/blue tooth option is $70 more (229 v 299). Appears to have similar features, just curious if theres something i 'missed' that you - or anyone, really - thinks would be a 'must have'.
Adding wood without opening the door is a plus that I wish I had. That said, the chute looks tiny and seems like it would jam constantly.
I am also very much so a beginner at this. If you can get one under $200, grab one and play around with it. When that one eventually craps out, you’ll know if you want to go bigger and better, stop doing it, or stay at the same level.

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
A friend of mine went maybe 4 years ago now, man times flies, and the locals he was hanging with were astonished with how much beer he was drinking. So he mentions that they roughly had the same amount, let’s just say about 8 beers so far.
That’s when they decided to mention that many locals drink a beer that’s pretty much 50/50 beer and sprite and in reality they have had about half as much as he had.
Beer and sprite, ugh that sounds disgusting.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami

HOLY SHIT I WANT THAT

This is why people claim that white people are bland.
Salt. Pepper. Cayenne pepper. Paprika. Chilli powder. At the least. Use a little spice dude

So much this. I can't speak for brisket since I've never made it, but those are my go to spices for making most meat. Add cumin and garlic powder (or fresh garlic if you're feel like dicing it) and you're set.

The only things I just salt/pepper are prime Filets/Strips. Most everything else gets (0ver)seasoned.

This looks pretty damn legit. @Surrounded By Ahos, whatcha think?
I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I would also like to apologize for my continued absence. My quarantine diet has been pretty bland to cut down on my food spending. I worked at a restaurant that has shut down due to Covid, so I'm now not getting paid or fed (I got a shift meal every day I worked, which was nice).

Stay tuned tonight though, I'll be back with a vengeance.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace

MES 130|P Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker

I have the older model of the first link you posted. It's held strong for years. Definitely recommend Masterbuilt.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Reactions: Young Sandwich

Lord Defect

Nov 13, 2013
Had some extra time to cook today. Started with Shrooms:
View attachment 342974

Shrimp and bay scallops
View attachment 342975

Had picked this up yesterday
View attachment 342976

All together with a little spinach added
View attachment 342978

Ready to eat. Gotta have bread with it.
View attachment 342979

Oh.....but while it was all mixing together, might as well have some mussels for an appetizer!
View attachment 342977

And the best part is, there is more than enough for tomorrow too!
You lost me at mushrooms.

Reactions: Cody Webster
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad