The Luongo Thread: Nothing Else Matters

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Now that MG has Edler all signed up and out of the way, I wonder if a Lu deal with come up pretty quickly.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Why would Edler's contract extension have anything to do with a Luongo trade?

Knows that trying to replace a really good d-man is at least one thing he won't have to worry about now. Also, knowing edler's cap hit will help him plan, at least a bit, for how much cap can come back in a lu trade.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Edler signing firms up the defense for years to come.

Gillis can now make a more informed trade, accepting a more clearly defined salary component.

I imagine the goalie market will eventually dry up enough to deal Luongo. As it stands, I'd be calling Boston or LA about goalies before Vancouver. Gillis has stubbornly reiterated his expectations for a Luongo return in the press which is uncharacteristic and revealing.

If Gillis doesn't act soon, the Canucks may weaken his position by sucking out of the gate.

John Bender*

I almost interpret Gillis' public comments to be panic. Perhaps he missed the boat. If the rumours are true he turned down both Luke Schenn and Dave Bolland in offers up to this point. Schenn could have been parlayed into JVR. I'd take JVR or Bolland for Luonogo.

Either that or, and I think this is more likely, Luongo has gone to Gillis and told him he'll only waive to be traded to either of the FLA teams, and Gillis has asked him to keep that quiet while he tries to get them to offer him something worthwhile. So far only the Panthers have shown interest and they are not offering anything acceptable.

Re Toronto, I can't really understand why Luongo would even want to go to Toronto. They have a rabid media, very bitter fanbase and most importantly, their team is horrid. Sounds like the exact reason you get yourself a NTC - to avoid that tye of situation.

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
Why would Edler's contract extension have anything to do with a Luongo trade?

I'll say that with Luongo in Vancouver the Canucks have $3.9M to sign 9 players next season. That means they can't afford to pay league minimum to fill the roster. Luongo has to be dealt or bought out in the summer. Unless there is another player on your roster that is a compliance buyout option? Maybe Ballard's $4.2M? Realistically to add any sort of quality up front you need both of those off the books.

craigcaulks*

I'll say that with Luongo in Vancouver the Canucks have $3.9M to sign 9 players next season. That means they can't afford to pay league minimum to fill the roster. Luongo has to be dealt or bought out in the summer. Unless there is another player on your roster that is a compliance buyout option? Maybe Ballard's $4.2M? Realistically to add any sort of quality up front you need both of those off the books.

Clearly we will move Luongo. And we won't have a $4M+ dman as our #5 next year.

craigcaulks*

I almost interpret Gillis' public comments to be panic. Perhaps he missed the boat. If the rumours are true he turned down both Luke Schenn and Dave Bolland in offers up to this point. Schenn could have been parlayed into JVR. I'd take JVR or Bolland for Luonogo.

Either that or, and I think this is more likely, Luongo has gone to Gillis and told him he'll only waive to be traded to either of the FLA teams, and Gillis has asked him to keep that quiet while he tries to get them to offer him something worthwhile. So far only the Panthers have shown interest and they are not offering anything acceptable.

Re Toronto, I can't really understand why Luongo would even want to go to Toronto. They have a rabid media, very bitter fanbase and most importantly, their team is horrid. Sounds like the exact reason you get yourself a NTC - to avoid that tye of situation.

1040 (albeit it was Gallagher I think) reported that Lu did nix a deal to Toronto this summer. He was holding out for FLA. I was driving with a 3 to at the time so excuse me if I misheard.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Edler signing firms up the defense for years to come.

Gillis can now make a more informed trade, accepting a more clearly defined salary component.

I imagine the goalie market will eventually dry up enough to deal Luongo. As it stands, I'd be calling Boston or LA about goalies before Vancouver. Gillis has stubbornly reiterated his expectations for a Luongo return in the press which is uncharacteristic and revealing.

If Gillis doesn't act soon, the Canucks may weaken his position by sucking out of the gate.

Boston?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
With Edler here long term, and the entire top 4 locked up for the next 4 years, I think we do need to target a forward with the Luongo trade. Doesn't make an boat-load of sense to trade for a D-man unless he's going to be a legit #1 overall in about 2-3 years and will be cheap enough in the meantime.

I think the writing is on the wall for Ballard for after this season though.

John Bender*

With Edler here long term, and the entire top 4 locked up for the next 4 years, I think we do need to target a forward with the Luongo trade. Doesn't make an boat-load of sense to trade for a D-man unless he's going to be a legit #1 overall in about 2-3 years and will be cheap enough in the meantime.

I think the writing is on the wall for Ballard for after this season though.

We'll see what happens. I suspect Ballard will really come back into his own this year.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
1040 (albeit it was Gallagher I think) reported that Lu did nix a deal to Toronto this summer. He was holding out for FLA. I was driving with a 3 to at the time so excuse me if I misheard.

Others have mentioned this, so you heard right. While I doubt Gallagher getting that kind of info, if true, we will get very little in way of a return. Sounds to me like he's attempting to justify why Luongo is not a Leaf though.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan

I listen to 1040 pretty much everyday and I've never heard that unless it is in the context of something around "I could see him kiboshing a trade to Toronto and hope FLA offers GMMG a deal he can live with"

We'll see what happens. I suspect Ballard will really come back into his own this year.

I hope he does so we can trade him more easily in the offseason and we may get some sort of half decent return for him

y2kcanucks

Better than you
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

I recall Roberto's brother on twitter made some comment about Columbus trading Rick Nash to a team on his list and that a certain other GM should make note of it. So perhaps there is something to Gallagher's report? If Luongo nixed the deal that's currently rumored in the media then he really did this team and city a huge favor.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I listen to 1040 pretty much everyday and I've never heard that unless it is in the context of something around "I could see him kiboshing a trade to Toronto and hope FLA offers GMMG a deal he can live with"

I hope he does so we can trade him more easily in the offseason and we may get some sort of half decent return for him

Tony G definitely said that today. He said that "word is" that Luongo killed a Toronto deal because he still believed Florida to be in play. So, Tony says, Luongo can't be that upset if he isn't moved too quickly as he is part author of this.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Doesn't really make sense. If Lu killed a deal to TO why would TO still be in the mix at all? You'd think at some point Burke or Nonis would say that Luongo wouldn't waive and they've moved on. Are Burke/Nonis trying to help their good buddy from Vancouver out by keeping it under wraps? Or does TO not know, but Gallagher does? Seems fishy to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad