The Leafs "Core" of the Issue - General Discussion

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
That's why I highly recommend spending some time on the trade forum. If you spend your time on any one team's forum it usually turns into group think where people get convinced of certain non truths even when they can watch the games and see for themselves.

Trade analyzer sites tend to be more objective than any individual poster, though. That's always a good starting point for me.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Against Boston and Tampa, they showed a textbook example of the type of team they have every capability of being.

I didn't see enough of the Tampa game to comment, but in the Bruins game, Boston played absolutely awful (and weren't they without Chara and Krecji?) so I don't see that as a game where the Leafs showed what kind of team they are. The Bruins rolled over and died that game.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I didn't see enough of the Tampa game to comment, but in the Bruins game, Boston played absolutely awful (and weren't they without Chara and Krecji?) so I don't see that as a game where the Leafs showed what kind of team they are. The Bruins rolled over and died that game.

Sorry you missed most of Tampa, that game truly was a work of art.

And when Boston rolled over us earlier, there was no Chara then, either.;) Our play took them off their game, which is why they looked so bad.

That's the thing. We actually have the capability of doing that to top teams around the league. That what makes the core faulty.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You simply can not use board posters to guage player value. Those main thread posters are out to lunch.

I disagree. Since it's impossible to truly gauge player value a reasonable approximation is to get the opinions of many knowledgeable people. If you pay attention and remove the idiots and focus on the posters who are knowledgeable you can then get a reasonable idea of a players value around the league.

The consensus is in my previous post. The summary is nobody wants the players that Leaf fans want to get rid of. And let's face it, if the core players on a team don't get it done then their value is going to be low especially if they are at the cap.

Problem is most "knowledgeable" armchair GM's are biased Leafs fans.

That's why I highly recommend spending some time on the trade forum. If you spend your time on any one team's forum it usually turns into group think where people get convinced of certain non truths even when they can watch the games and see for themselves.

Fans are fans, they don't have a budget, they have nothing at stake and they're biased.

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/11/19/dreger-teams-do-call-on-dion-phaneuf

“I know there has been interest in Dion Phaneuf. Teams do call on Dion Phaneuf. I don’t know that anyone has called in-season, but I know there were inquiries in the off-season. But Nonis has been consistent in his response: ‘If you’re moving a player like Dion Phaneuf, how do you replace that player?’ And in the moment, it seems pretty easy how you could replace him, because he’s not playing well enough. And he took responsibility, as he always does, for not playing well.

Leafs know they'd have to take money back in any transaction, but we're talking about 14 teams that could easily swallow half his salary by sending back a 3.0 per year player.

So if you wanted to suggest the Leafs retained 1.5 million for a couple seasons while the cap increases, then we're talking 7 - (1.5 retained + 3.0 player) = 2.5 cap hit.

Sorry you missed most of Tampa, that game truly was a work of art.

And when Boston rolled over us earlier, there was no Chara then, either.;) Our play took them off their game, which is why they looked so bad.

That's the thing. We actually have the capability of doing that to top teams around the league. That what makes the core faulty.

Most of the teams in the league can have off days, Sabres beating Sharks twice now? Leafs walking over Bruins, then getting walked by Sabres.

However, back to the Core Issue.

I don't think this team is constructed well enough to ever be a top team and contender, but let's face it sometimes a team gets on a role and if you get on a role at the right time who knows.

I don't see a lot of calming influence and leadership on the ice.

Sundin might not have been a great leader, that is up for debate some other time, but if you look at his history outside of the NHL he was a key leader, winner on some Swedish teams. Winning Swedish teams, not just some high scoring player on a losing team. It isn't about putting up points, or being flashy, or being the big man, it is about winning.

It is very tough to find players who have been dominant in leading their team to victory, and that not being a one off, or just being hot at the right time.

Who can you point to on the current Leafs team that everyone/most/anyone around the league (in the NHL) would point to and say I'm going to follow him?

I'm biased, and a Leafs fan, but I don't see that bright light on the Leafs.

That bright light might be in the system, but on the big team?

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Fans are fans, they don't have a budget, they have nothing at stake and they're biased.

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/11/19/dreger-teams-do-call-on-dion-phaneuf

Leafs know they'd have to take money back in any transaction, but we're talking about 14 teams that could easily swallow half his salary by sending back a 3.0 per year player.

So if you wanted to suggest the Leafs retained 1.5 million for a couple seasons while the cap increases, then we're talking 7 - (1.5 retained + 3.0 player) = 2.5 cap hit.

Most of the teams in the league can have off days, Sabres beating Sharks twice now? Leafs walking over Bruins, then getting walked by Sabres.

However, back to the Core Issue.

I don't think this team is constructed well enough to ever be a top team and contender, but let's face it sometimes a team gets on a role and if you get on a role at the right time who knows.

I don't see a lot of calming influence and leadership on the ice.

Sundin might not have been a great leader, that is up for debate some other time, but if you look at his history outside of the NHL he was a key leader, winner on some Swedish teams. Winning Swedish teams, not just some high scoring player on a losing team. It isn't about putting up points, or being flashy, or being the big man, it is about winning.

It is very tough to find players who have been dominant in leading their team to victory, and that not being a one off, or just being hot at the right time.

Who can you point to on the current Leafs team that everyone/most/anyone around the league (in the NHL) would point to and say I'm going to follow him?

I'm biased, and a Leafs fan, but I don't see that bright light on the Leafs.

That bright light might be in the system, but on the big team?

Good points all.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad