The Impotence of the D and how to handle our ED.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who will get protected? Who Should be protected?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
It's no question that the defense struggled at times this season and some significant work needs to be done to duplicate the cohesion of the 2019 Cup-winning unit. The expansion draft offers a unique opportunity to have another team reshape your roster, and potentially free up some cap space by taking a sizable contract. Lots of ways to go here, and I've seen suggestions for protection of everyone other than Scandella, Bortuzzo, Santini & Gunnarsson. Therefore those four guys will be left out of the equation and the speculation/discussion can shift to the following 6 guys:
Dunn, Faulk, Krug, Mikkola, Parayko & Walman.

Two questions; pick three guys for each question.

Who WILL BE protected by Army and the Blues?
Who SHOULD BE protected by Army and the Blues?

Do the Blues protect the 3-big contracts and let Seattle have a cheap young guy for nothing? Do they try to free up some salary to make a bigger play later in the off-season? Before you can bring in somebody, you've got to move out somebody...and the ED offers such a chance. So, how does the D get handled for it to be elevated in order to get the most out of it?

Reactions: nashnaidoo

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
All indications are that Krug will be protected. You can tell by the way Armstrong talks about Krug, and by looking at Armstrong's past behavior. I don't understand our GM's infatuation with Krug, but it looks like he is going to be a part of the core going forward, and we are just going to have to live with it. Dunn is younger, faster, bigger and on a better contract. It just makes so much sense to me to keep Dunn, but Armstrong must see something in Krug that I don't.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I wouldn't be surprised if Dunn has asked for a trade, or at least his agent made some preliminary communication that direction. Armstrong has acknowledged that they'd been complaining about his ice time and usage, prior to this regular season. We also know how his last contract negotiation went. I think the relationship there has to factor into things. I expect him to be traded prior to the expansion draft, or simply exposed and probably be the most attractive piece available (whichever option is the net best value for the Blues factoring in losing a different player in expansion).

Because I think that's where things stand, and because I think Krug will look a lot better in his normal role and with a year in the system under his belt, he's the guy I'd protect. But I acknowledge its debatable to consider exposing him. I think its a reasonable opinion. But I would be stunned if Armstrong did that.

bluesXwinXtheXcup

Apr 14, 2018
I guess I'm the only one that would protect Scandella.

With Parayko and Faulk.

Seattle can have Krug's big contract. And I think Dunn gets traded.

Reactions: BlueSeal

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
should protect parayko, dunn and faulk

if Krug gets picked, thats fine. if not, you package him or dunn into a trade for other needs. its a win/win.

I personally hope Seattle picks Sanford.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
They’ll for sure protect Krug, Faulk, Parayko. I’d like to see them try to get out from under the Krug contract, but I’d be shocked if they exposed him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Krug should be exposed, but I guess Krug is Army's urinal best friend.

cut.jpg

Reactions: Tryblot

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Faulk afaic has earned his Bluenote.
Krug needs to be shot into the Sun.
Colt needs to be protected.
I figure Dunn will be traded before the ED
Should protect Mik and Wal
Scandella… I actually liked his game.

Reactions: BlueOil and Ranksu

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Krug will be protected, but it’s a mistake. Dunn is better at every aspect of the game, yet he’s going to be run out of town because Krug put up big point totals running a PP with the best line in hockey.

Not even close to true, but I guess that's why you don't work in scouting or player development. The Blues defense would have been even worse this year if you flipped the usage of Krug and Dunn. Krug is no worse than Dunn defensively (quite possibly better) and he's a far better passer/puck mover. Dunn is often caught out of position and has to be sheltered even more than Krug. I like Dunn as a player, but the bias regarding Dunn/Krug on this forum is astounding.

I guess Vegas also has an impotent D since they lost to the Avs 7-1 last night?

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Parayko is the only defenseman worth protecting on this roster and even then that could just end up being asset protection if he wants to hit UFA after next season.

I'm ready to start rebuilding now so I view all these defensemen currently here as either placeholders or assets. Just like last season I don't like the personnel so I couldn't possibly care less who gets taken in the ED outside of protecting Parayko.

I would protect the 3 with the most trade value post ED, so who are the 2 most valuable in trade after Colt? Find the answer to that and that would be my list.

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
The only thing I will say in Krug's defense is that from what I saw, Faulk year 2 was noticeably better than Faulk year 1 with us. That does not mean Krug year 2 will be, but it at least opens the door, as Stupendous Yappi said. Transitioning to a new team and role would have been difficult this year, for sure.

That said, I would love to offload his contract.

Protecting Parayko and Faulk is a given. Beyond that, everybody else is in front of the jury. My guess is they protect Krug, but my choice would probably be Dunn. I get why they would make either decision.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
On a very belated side-note (har har), I know we didn't win jack this year but knowing that the Leafs once again choked and because of that Jumbo is STILL without a Cup while Perron, whose career he almost ended, got one makes me feel like there is actual balance in the universe.

Last edited:

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
With the news of the Cap potentially not increasing for a number of years, I think our best course of action would be to work with Seattle to figure out which of Faulk/Krug they prefer and leave him unprotected. If they don't want either, then we should figure out a trade for Dunn. I don't think any of our other defensemen are at risk of being taken.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
With the news of the Cap potentially not increasing for a number of years, I think our best course of action would be to work with Seattle to figure out which of Faulk/Krug they prefer and leave him unprotected. If they don't want either, then we should figure out a trade for Dunn. I don't think any of our other defensemen are at risk of being taken.
Has there been some new updates? I know early on after resuming after the original lockdown there were reports that the cap would remain flat this year and probably next, but I assumed that as fans return, in conjunction with the new TV deal(s) that the cap would begin to marginally start rising again relatively soon. Again, not doubting you, just would be interested to read any sort of news regarding this I may have missed.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I thought Krug had a pretty good year, all things considered. I get the contract is expensive, but the hate around here is completely out of proportion to the on ice play IMO.

It's left me speechless on several occasions.

Krug was fine this year. He wasn't an all star, but he was fine. Basically got what we paid for.

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Has there been some new updates? I know early on after resuming after the original lockdown there were reports that the cap would remain flat this year and probably next, but I assumed that as fans return, in conjunction with the new TV deal(s) that the cap would begin to marginally start rising again relatively soon. Again, not doubting you, just would be interested to read any sort of news regarding this I may have missed.

Friedman reported this in his latest 31 thoughts:

Eliotte Friedman said:
A few sources are indicating that revenue numbers this year are expected to be around the $1.8- to $2-billion dollar range. When you factor in money owed by the players to the league under the CBA, teams are estimating the cap will stay static for several years. Most sources suggested through 2024–25.

So you're right, speculation is at least 2 more years. Still, we'll have to extend Parayko during that time, as well as possibly dealing with some players coming off bridge contracts (e.g. Kyrou, Thomas), so some extra cap room would really help.

Reactions: The Note

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
My apologies! You will all have to vote again. Because of the way the poll was originally formatted, the only way I could add Scandella to the list was to delete the votes. I couldn't add a player and have the existing votes still correspond with the selected players, nor could I alter the number of votes received for each player. Sorry about that. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad