'The Great Dane' - Freddy Andersen Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Most ungrateful job in Ontario... Being the Leafs starting goalie.

really?

he had most fans defending him when he stunk the first month+ of the year.

and now that he's finally back to being an average starting goalie, he's getting appreciation threads.

last night he's getting all the praise even while he got outgoalied by a goalie facing much tougher chances, and while letting in a stinker.

easiest job in the world.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
really?

and now that he's finally back to being an average starting goalie, he's getting appreciation threads.

last night he's getting all the praise even while he got outgoalied by a goalie facing much tougher chances, and while letting in a stinker.

easiest job in the world

Good lord. I don't even know what to say to this.

:facepalm::eek:o_O:huh::facepalm:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
really?

so because luongo had a better game we cant give credit to freddy for having a good game himself?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Of course he gets credit. He played well. But lots of goalies have good games, including Luongo last night.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Freddy gets it as bad as everyone else. If Gardiner gives the puck away, he gets it. If Andersen lets in a goal that's not a 3on0, you hear the murmurs around here too.

Yes he lets in some stinkers, but he gets it on breakaways and deflections all the time. "He should have been in better position, xxx would have stopped that." Breakaways and deflections are tough. Every goalie lets them in. As long as he gets the clear open shots and minimizes the rebounds, its pretty tough to expect more, especially if our defence decide to go for a joy ride and leave people wide open for clear cut plays right in front.

Maurice Del Taco

Oct 13, 2015
really?

Just to be clear. My post was not a defense of Freddy. But more in general. Goalies gets much more BS than the other guys. And often it is so unnuanced. And it just seems to me that it is much worse in Toronto than other places. Hence my comment that it is the most ungrateful job.

Reactions: cookie

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Never paint yourself into a corner on a player, or you end sounding this silly. MAN.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
I've been all over him. He was utterly pathetic to start this year and last

He has been absolutely incredible the past couple weeks. I hope it continues

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
He's swung right back to that extreme of being really darn good.

I think it's fine to just take guys as they are performing. Right now, Andersen is playing unbelievably good. And that is great. He's making a difference game in and game out. I wish we didn't need him to be this good to win games, but right now we do.

Reactions: Rogie

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I was really harsh on him to start this season, but Andy's serving up a plate of crow a mile high for me to eat over the last month. He's been incredible since October ended.

Reactions: Rogie

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Despite allowing 4 goals, I'd give Andersen 1st star. He was a rock for the most part and allowed the team to hang in there til they woke up in the 2nd.

Reminiscent of the opener when he stood on his head against Winnipeg in a tough 1st period and gave our opportunistic offense a chance to grab the lead.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
There's not many games where you let in 4 and still look amazing. That happend tonight. Carolina should have had 7-8 goals, maybe more. He was absolutely the only reason the Leafs weren't down 4 goals through 20. When he's on he looks like a Vezina candidate. The team in front of him still looks awful. It has all year. This needs to be fixed because Andersen can't sustain this.

Reactions: hotpaws and Rogie

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
There's not many games where you let in 4 and still look amazing. That happend tonight. Carolina should have had 7-8 goals, maybe more. He was absolutely the only reason the Leafs weren't down 4 goals through 20. When he's on he looks like a Vezina candidate. The team in front of him still looks awful. It has all year. This needs to be fixed because Andersen can't sustain this.

I wouldn't go so far as to say 'all year', but your point is valid. The Leafs have not looked good for a large portion of the year. They have done enough (scoring at a very nice pace) to be where they are in the overall standings, but as you say, Andersen can't sustain this level of play. I'm not really surprised at how they are playing, I think it's a classic case of a young team that had a great deal of success one year and struggle the next because the league knows their tendencies, their strengths and weaknesses, and as a group, they're struggling to adapt to teams that know how to play them better than before. Their efforts, which had been met with free ice and surprise are now being challenged on a nightly basis. Their carefree attitude of last year, the 'look at us, isn't this fun' which started so wonderfully this year is no longer sufficient and they're learning that they have to do more than just free wheel. This creates uncertainty and a lack of confidence. Babcock will need to be a very steady influence moving forward, which I think he'll be, Andersen I hope has another month of this quality of goaltending and the team needs time to find it's feet during a period where the players are beginning to realize that talent alone will not suffice in the NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: BertCorbeau

Danish

Dec 28, 2016
really?

You are the biggest fraud on the HF boards, the numbers you been shelling out over the last year, on goaltending in Toronto and the Leafs in general, are big fat lies, i been reading your old post,and your numbers, are so f*** up. So 4 Things you should now about zeke! 1. he a a freaud 2, zeks Math level is below 3 grade level maby a little les, 3. he is most likly Montreal fan! not a Leafs supporter! And 4 well the same as number 1 he is a Stone Cold liear, and every number her throws out ther,take it with a grain of salt.

Reactions: jrgtml67

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
You are the biggest fraud on the HF boards, the numbers you been shelling out over the last year, on goaltending in Toronto and the Leafs in general, are big fat lies, i been reading your old post,and your numbers, are so **** up. So 4 Things you should now about zeke! 1. he a a freaud 2, zeks Math level is below 3 grade level maby a little les, 3. he is most likly Montreal fan! not a Leafs supporter! And 4 well the same as number 1 he is a Stone Cold liear, and every number her throws out ther,take it with a grain of salt.

Wow, that's coming on pretty strong. Tell us how you really feel.

Danish

Dec 28, 2016
Zeke von münchhausen at the lastLeafs game,
images.jpeg
i was ther! You just didnt look Up.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You are the biggest fraud on the HF boards, the numbers you been shelling out over the last year, on goaltending in Toronto and the Leafs in general, are big fat lies, i been reading your old post,and your numbers, are so **** up. So 4 Things you should now about zeke! 1. he a a freaud 2, zeks Math level is below 3 grade level maby a little les, 3. he is most likly Montreal fan! not a Leafs supporter! And 4 well the same as number 1 he is a Stone Cold liear, and every number her throws out ther,take it with a grain of salt.

Hello, friend!

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Sorry did you say Andersen got out done by Cam Ward? who let in 4 goals on 9 shots? Or by Darling who hardly had any pressure and let in a goal as well? In fact there was a big divide early on. Many fans were calling for him to be traded, or let Sparks/Pickard try starting. The other half (smart half) knew that many of the chances he let were of the grade A variety, and while he let in some stinkers he would bounce back.

The only goalie this month near him is Bobrovsky in CBJ. Not sure what game you were watching last night but Andersen is the only reason we had a chance at winning that game, if he is the October Andersen its 5-0 or worse going into the 2nd. Oh well, I will save my breath since you have no clue...

Reactions: Danish

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad