'The Great Dane' - Freddy Andersen Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
True, but the difference between the best and the rest is minimizing those cold streaks.

Even backup goalies - heck, even AHL level goalies - can have hot streaks in the NHL.
Perfect example of that is James Reimer.

Reactions: stickty111

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I would just like to say that Andersen is not a "slightly above average goalie". He is a slightly above average proven bonafide starting goalie. I think that's a very important distinction - it's sort of like the difference between an average Dman and an average #1 Dman.

It looks like we have ourselves a good one and I'm more than comfortable going to war with him in our net.
From what the pros say, the sentiment around the league is there are the FEW elite goalies, then guys like Andersen, top half starter. You can win cups with that type of goaltending, and I don't believe we've seen the best of the guy either. Anyways, all the critics will jump on him next soft goal, I was never worried, last season he proved to me he is our best tender since Belfour.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Reimer: .914 over 269GP
Andersen: .917 over 209GP

(This literally was flipped around 11GP ago.)

Mmmmmmm, no.
Ya, that's why nobody in the league picked him up as a starter, and why TWO management teams here sought other goalies, because he's as good!! LOL you guys...

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
come to think of it, it IS ironic that the only people who keep bringing up Reimer are the ones telling everyone to stop bringing up Reimer.
Oh come on, your rep proceeds you, how did you get it? Anyways, try not to let your Reimer love cloud your judgement about our big upgrade in net.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
latest

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
and the most important factor for getting us into the playoffs.
Depends what you're comparing to. He plays the position we are most shallow in. He's a much better goalie than any alternative we have. But I think we have some other players who add more value to the team compared to an "average" replacement.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Freddie's SV% now at .918 tying him with Cory Schneider for 13th among goalies with 10 or more starts. Leads the league in starts and is tied for third in wins.

It looks like we have a legit quality #1 starting goalie, first one we've had since Belfour. :)

Just for fun, SV% for a few guys of some interest:
Bernier .899
Reimer .888
Price .877

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Funny how things change. After the first few games of the season Freddie was looking at getting waived (by some fans). Now we have an appreciation thread? What have you done for me lately Fred?

Reactions: Raymoondo

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I hope when Andersen sucks again next October people will remember that he'll be fine once November hits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad