The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm not indicating that we are in some sort trouble because of the cap, because we certainly aren't, we are in better shape cap-wise than most teams in the league. But signing Eriksson would put us too close. Johansen, Neal needing raises in a few years.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I'm not indicating that we are in some sort trouble because of the cap, because we certainly aren't, we are in better shape cap-wise than most teams in the league. But signing Eriksson would put us too close. Johansen, Neal needing raises in a few years.

this is why i think we need to look at other options. If eriksson is going to command some sort of deal around 6.5-7 per season at 30 years old, i'd rather try to land Boedker or someone a little less. Boedker is 26...we sign him to any where in 4-6yr range we have a young top 6 locked up with Forsberg due to re-sign and Joey next season.

Then when the older guys flame out and contracts are up we can start to implement the youngsters. Fiala, Kamenev, Kirkland, Aberg, Gortz, etc.

What do you all think about David Perron for that agitating, distraction, front of the net guy for us? UFA and was at 3.8m last year?

Last edited:

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Would you ever entertain trading Weber ? I am not a Nashville supporter but I have family in Marysville Tenn.
Saw something about Weber saying John Tavares is the most underated player . Maybe he would like to play with him in Brooklyn. Both teams laid an egg in their last playoff loss this year. If the feelings are that he will retire a Predator then cheers and goodnight. If the feeling is anything for the right price , then let's throw some more wood in the smoker and cook us some ribs, sip a little Bourbon, and get at it.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
The owners have said and Poile has confirmed he has never spent his budget from the owners, so it's Poile limiting his own budget, not an internal cap.

I have never heard or read this. Please provide a link - would love to see it.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Nystrom and Fisher will be off the books and Rinne one year later.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Would you ever entertain trading Weber ? I am not a Nashville supporter but I have family in Marysville Tenn.
Saw something about Weber saying John Tavares is the most underated player . Maybe he would like to play with him in Brooklyn. Both teams laid an egg in their last playoff loss this year. If the feelings are that he will retire a Predator then cheers and goodnight. If the feeling is anything for the right price , then let's throw some more wood in the smoker and cook us some ribs, sip a little Bourbon, and get at it.

Cap recapture penalty on Weber would be crippling if he retired early after being traded elsewhere. He will be a Pred for life, especially as his actual salary is going to start steadily decreasing over the next few seasons.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Would you ever entertain trading Weber ?

uc

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I have never heard or read this. Please provide a link - would love to see it.

Poile has stated on more than one occasion that the owners have untied his hands and had no problem with him spending to the cap. It's the reason they brought the minority owner in from Canada.

Now whether that is true internally only they know, but if you go by what he has said over the last couple of seasons there is no longer an internal hudget, he just hasn't spent it.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Poile has stated on more than one occasion that the owners have untied his hands and had no problem with him spending to the cap. It's the reason they brought the minority owner in from Canada.

Now whether that is true internally only they know, but if you go by what he has said over the last couple of seasons there is no longer an internal hudget, he just hasn't spent it.

I'll believe that the first year they spend over the cap midpoint and don't receive a revenue sharing check

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I'll believe that the first year they spend over the cap midpoint and don't receive a revenue sharing check
While I agree that we can spend more, the flip side is that he has to be careful to not spend just for the sake of spending. That's how we end up with Nystrom signing a deal for 10 million, and signing random castaways like Stalberg and Cullen. That was an off season in which we were a very unattractive free agency destination so Poile decided enough was enough and he wanted to instill a style of hockey that compliments the guys we could actually land, and spend what we had to in order to get them. In retrospect we were probably better off not doing that, but whatever.

Also, one reason we don't currently have a higher payroll is because of the absolute robbery which is Josi+Ekholm+Ellis+Bitetto+Jackman making a combined 12.5ish million on the back end next season.

Last edited:

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I don't want Boedker. Let the Avs overpay for him. I wanted him in a trade, but as a FA, he is going to command a pretty penny. Not worth it.

Eriksson, Ladd and Okposo are the only guys I would go after. The later are probably staying with their current employers, however.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't want Boedker. Let the Avs overpay for him. I wanted him in a trade, but as a FA, he is going to command a pretty penny. Not worth it.

Eriksson, Ladd and Okposo are the only guys I would go after. The later are probably staying with their current employers, however.
I'm not exactly an insider so I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything to really suggest that Okposo has made huge strides towards a deal with NYI.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm not exactly an insider so I could be wrong but I haven't seen anything to really suggest that Okposo has made huge strides towards a deal with NYI.

Me neither, but I can't see the islanders management risk taking a step backwards.

I do think Neilsen may be available, but we would need to move Ribs.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
only reason I'm suggesting Boedker is because I fully expect Okposo to get a deal north of 6mill per season. And I really think EDM/MIN will make the push for him or NYI signs him back. Possible Vanek buyout and then an Okposo sign.

I just don't see us spending the money for those three guys. Although, I could see Poile trying to give Eriksson a deal until he's old and gray, and if that's the case we better structure the deal to where we're not paying north of 6 million when he's like 35 or 36

I think Nielsen would be a great addition but again, no one is going to take Ribs off our hands.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
But I believe it's still there for Revenue Sharing purposes ($10 MN Checks), I could be wrong, don't even know where to look for that piece of information.
Goodbye to the Mid-Point "Soft Cap"?

Of great interest to a team like Nashville, however, we have the removal of something we used to refer to as the "soft cap" at the mid-point of the salary range. In the now-expired 2005 CBA, Article 49.7 (a) read:

"...any remaining Escrow Account funds shall be distributed to any Club that had an Actual Club Salary that was less than the Midpoint of the Payroll Range (measured as of the final day of the NHL Regular Season), with the amount of funds each such Club receives being sufficient to bring it up to the Midpoint of the Payroll Range..."

In other words, there was an additional cost to teams like the Preds exceeding the mid-point, in that it could cause them to miss out on that distribution of escrow funds. While exact figures aren't available, the basic idea is that by adding $500,000 in payroll, you could cost your team millions in lost escrow disbursement.

In the new 2013 CBA, there is no language equivalent that quoted above in the revenue sharing portion of the document. The removal of this "soft cap" doesn't mean that teams can go wild with their spending, however. The intent of the Revenue Sharing program is to help teams afford a payroll that is no higher than the mid-point, so if recipient teams decide to go over that level, they do so at their own peril. At least now, however, such a move doesn't lead to a double-whammy.
http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2013/6/7/4406482/2013-nhl-cba-revenue-sharing-program-explained

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
It's not so much about wanting to trade Ribeiro, but not wanting to ice him as our 2C

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It's not so much about wanting to trade Ribeiro, but not wanting to ice him as our 2C
I completely agree that he shouldn't be the #2C. But "move him to another position" and "trade him" are two radically different things. He can play on the wing. He can play on another line. He still puts up points in the regular season and that is a useful thing.

If we can trade him without getting ripped off, then by all means look into it. But I suspect the odds of doing that are somewhere between "keep dreaming" and "just give up now". :)

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I completely agree that he shouldn't be the #2C. But "move him to another position" and "trade him" are two radically different things. He can play on the wing. He can play on another line. He still puts up points in the regular season and that is a useful thing.

If we can trade him without getting ripped off, then by all means look into it. But I suspect the odds of doing that are somewhere between "keep dreaming" and "just give up now". :)

Yup this.

I don't think we will be making many major moves.

All I hope is that Brian Poile isn't in charge of any faxes this summer. :help:

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Poile confirms Nystrom and Gaustad will not return. Live on Periscope right now if you want to hop on. (via Vingan)

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Poile confirms Nystrom and Gaustad will not return. Live on Periscope right now if you want to hop on. (via Vingan)

Wow. Well that's going to clear up some of the logjam in the bottom six.

Maybe something like:
Wilson-Fisher-Ribs/Jarnkrok
Salomaki-Sissons-Arvidsson
Watson

Something like that in the bottom six.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad