The Devils are exciting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This thread has the makings of are the Devils exciting, the answer is yes. To are the Devils really good? Yes they are on both accounts.

Reactions: glenwo2

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I am still being ridiculously cautious. I'll be at the game tonight expecting to lose because we can't be 7-1 can we? I was at the game against Tampa expecting to losing because Tampa is a great team and we couldn't possibly beat them could we? I see some Devils fans are being cocky, but I can't do it. Part of me still expects this team to finish the season 30-42-10 or something..... but man it has been really nice to see fans of other teams wish us well and say that we're looking really good. It has been 4-5 years of terrible hockey. It all started in the shortened season when Kovalchuk went down with a shoulder injury and the team lost 10 games in a row dropping out of the playoff race. Then Kovy left. Then Lou refused to believe this team needed to re-build and things got worse and worse and worse. This may be the most excited I have ever been to watch Devils games.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
I still don't know if we're good. If our offense dries up, we don't really have much. Truth be told Schneider hasn't looked THAT great. Still is giving up a lot of goals. It's early in the year but we really need to improve our defense.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
NJ
I am still being ridiculously cautious. I'll be at the game tonight expecting to lose because we can't be 7-1 can we? I was at the game against Tampa expecting to losing because Tampa is a great team and we couldn't possibly beat them could we? I see some Devils fans are being cocky, but I can't do it. Part of me still expects this team to finish the season 30-42-10 or something..... but man it has been really nice to see fans of other teams wish us well and say that we're looking really good. It has been 4-5 years of terrible hockey. It all started in the shortened season when Kovalchuk went down with a shoulder injury and the team lost 10 games in a row dropping out of the playoff race. Then Kovy left. Then Lou refused to believe this team needed to re-build and things got worse and worse and worse. This may be the most excited I have ever been to watch Devils games.

My feeling is they'll start losing more games, but due to our inability to keep the puck out of the net, not because we stop scoring. I think the offense is deep enough to continue scoring goals, but we'll end up losing a lot more 4-3, 3-2 games later in the season. I don't think they'll lose enough to end up a bottom 5 team again, though.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The Devils are on a ridiculous hot streak and are scoring way over their heads. They will cool down. They will score less and allow more goals. But with such a start, they're always in contention of course and they have a good chance to make the playoffs, unless the wheels fall off.

Let's see how they play in the second half of the season, when teams start to really play.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Devils seem to be the most improved team in the Eastern conference, they are very exciting to watch and can compete with any team in the league. With the depth and skill they have and Schneider in the net, they are going to challenge for the playoffs

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
They're playing really well right now, their offense is firing on all cylinders. I have concerns about their defense though.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
[
The Devils are on a ridiculous hot streak and are scoring way over their heads. They will cool down. They will score less and allow more goals. But with such a start, they're always in contention of course and they have a good chance to make the playoffs, unless the wheels fall off.

Let's see how they play in the second half of the season, when teams start to really play.

"Scoring way over their heads." Their best players are just starting to score. Before that it was their bottom 6 guys. They have two 3o goal scorers in their top 6 - top 9, three other top 6 players capable of putting up 20-25 goals, and they're doing this without a top 6 center in the line up in Zajac. Boyle is also capable of putting up double digit goals. Hischier got his first two goals finally, Zacha has two goals and nearly had two more last night and another in their last game, but instead has just rang 3 of his shots off the pipe.

And only one guy on the blue line right now has found the back of the net so far.

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I still don't know if we're good. If our offense dries up, we don't really have much. Truth be told Schneider hasn't looked THAT great. Still is giving up a lot of goals. It's early in the year but we really need to improve our defense.

I'd buy this in years past, but we simply have too much depth to not keep rolling offensively. We have elite talent (Hall, Hischier), dynamic two-way scorers (Johansson, Zacha, Palmieri), and secondary scoring (Stafford, Henrique, Bratt) scattered across the top three lines. The fourth line has been the most effective I've seen since CBGB in 2012.

And this is all with our best defensive center (Zajac) and our would-be fourth line leader (Boyle) on IR. Quenneville and Blandisi had great preseasons and are marinating in Binghamton. The forward depth this organization has amassed is truly incredible, and it only took about two years to do.

This isn't like 2013-16, where if Cammalleri, Palmieri and Hall weren't scoring, the team wasn't scoring. We have a well-balanced offense with speed and skill on every line. Weird, I know.

Welcome2Hell

Aug 9, 2010
NutleyNJ

I agree they aren't going to continue scoring at this pace, but they also have a terrible 75% PK and i believe lead the league in penalties. The penalties will go down across the league and the devils PK should get better when Boyle and eventually Zajac come back.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
The true mind blower is this.

Two teams have 30 goals scored. One is Toronto, which isn’t much of a surprise.

The other is the New Jersey Devils. Let that wash over you as you rest your heads tonight.

To elaborate on this: the two highest scoring teams in the NHL right now are the two teams that have most recently picked first overall.

Last year, Toronto had 3 of the top 4 rookie scorers in the league, including that first overall pick.

Right now, New Jersey has 3 of the top 4 rookie scorers in the league, including that first overall pick.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I wouldn't be so quick to call them a good team, Detroit had a 6-2 record early on last year as well.

They're definitely more exciting than before, but they leave a lot to be desired 5 on 5, not great possession wise and give up a lot of scoring chances for.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Don't know how you can say it was even. This was one of our easiest games all season. For the record here's how I'd rank our games from toughest to easiest...
Washington- They just outmuscled us
NYR- We stole this one with good goaltending
Tampa- Pretty even although refs definitely tried to hand Tampa this one
Colorado- This was surprisingly close
Toronto- Refs really, really tried to hand Toronto this one, but we still wrecked them
Ottawa- We outclassed the Sens in every way possible.
Buffalo- It's Buffalo, enough said

how is a 2 goal come from behind win our easiest of the season? Are you ok? did you hit your head from jumping up to quickly after the moore goal?

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I wouldn't be so quick to call them a good team, Detroit had a 6-2 record early on last year as well.

They're definitely more exciting than before, but they leave a lot to be desired 5 on 5, not great possession wise and give up a lot of scoring chances for.

meh, they're 19th in the league for 5v5 shots against and only have a -14 in that regard. Not good but not that bad. They also have 18 GF 5v5 and 11 GA. The PK and amount of penalties we've taken is what's really troublesome, I'm pleased with their play at even strength.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad