The Devils are exciting

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We really haven't played the trap since the late 90's though, so it's kind of BS that other fans still think this way. We only utilized the trap for 1 of our 3 Cups, we just have one of the greatest defenses/goalie combo's in the history of the sport and they made containing high flying offensive teams look easy... The 2012 team had an insane forecheck, no where near a trapping team.

It's just frustrating to hear the same lazy stuff for +20 years. We were boring because we were a garbage team, not because we played some boogeyman style that we actually weren't playing. If you want to hate us that's fine, but hate us for the right reasons.

It's also frustrating to hear a lot of fans, mostly Canadian fans, blame us for inventing the trap or ruining hockey. Where do you think Jacques Lemaire learned his system? Playing in Montreal, who won Cups with it long before we did.

Yes, Lemaire got it from the Canadiens, it is a bad rap. The irony is many teams have employed a similar successful system. The Russians dominated hockey with a trap system when it was coached by Tikhonov.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That top is not bad. Good couple of trades and a little luck helped things improve quick. Hopefully the devils are in the tier just out of the playoffs so they don't get high end dmen predraft ranking wise.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Thread is back open but stay on topic. Thread bans etc will be handed out.

Report violations of the rules (new rules, please read...linked at the bottom of the page). Do not respond to offenses as that can also net you an infraction/warning.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I mean...your list just confirms the Leafs are better at every single position and at every single layer, sooo...

You don't think the Devils' depth will score as much as the Leafs' depth but you think the Devils' depth is better? Not sure how that makes any sense.

It’s hard to say in some instances and some of it depends upon usage and team style. I think both sets of fans agree Matthews is a truly special talent but it gets murky the further down the rosters you go. You also have to clearly define what depth means. Henrique is traditionally thought of as a top six player for NJ but he is playing third line minutes this year. He is off to a great start and may see plenty of top six time as the season unfolds. I think both teams are ahead of schedule in terms of the expected competitive timeline. Leafs may make noise in the playoffs this Eason while if Devils are a bubble team in late March that would be a big improvement.

Last edited:

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
That top is not bad. Good couple of trades and a little luck helped things improve quick. Hopefully the devils are in the tier just out of the playoffs so they don't get high end dmen predraft ranking wise.
No with draft lottery totem Taylor Hall you'd rather they make the playoffs and avoid the draft lottery all together

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Seen just one Devil game this year and it was a blast, especially the young guns. Will watch more. NJ surely deserves an exciting team.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
its insane when you look at the 14-15 Devils roster then look at it now.

that team was almost legit AHL grade
But a lot was already in place for the progress we are seeing today.

Shero was left with Larsson, Severson and Santini on defense. Schnieder in Goal. Zacha, Blackwood and Speers were drafted under Conte. Wood, Blandisi, Quenneville, Coleman were already in the organization. Lou even made the trades of Jagr and Zidlicky that brought us the picks that Shero used to get Palmieri.

For some reason it has become fashionable to bash the single most important person in New Jersey Devil history...

I find it not only petty and juvenile but incredibly disrespectful not only to Lou but the history of the franchise.

Not necessarily saying this post is doing that, but Devil fans in general....

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It's just frustrating to hear the same lazy stuff for +20 years. We were boring because we were a garbage team, not because we played some boogeyman style that we actually weren't playing. If you want to hate us that's fine, but hate us for the right reasons.

It's also frustrating to hear a lot of fans, mostly Canadian fans, blame us for inventing the trap or ruining hockey. Where do you think Jacques Lemaire learned his system? Playing in Montreal, who won Cups with it long before we did.
Valid criticism. I think NJ gets a lot of flak for the trap because, in addition to using it, they were using during an era that already had historically low scoring levels due to better defence and a complete lack of officiating, and they had a goalie who was very good at enhancing the trap by playing the puck when it got dumped into the zone.

A poor/average trap is a bit of a pain, but a perfected trap is a boring nightmare, and I think the Devils basically perfected it (and again, the general obstructionicity of the league didn't help the perception of it).

Reactions: AveryQuietMan

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
It’s hard to say in some instances and some of it depends upon usage and team style. I think both sets of fans agree Matthews is a truly special talent but it gets murky the further down the rosters you go. You also have to clearly define what depth means. Henrique is traditionally thought of as a top six player for NJ but he is playing third line minutes this year. He is off to a great start and may see plenty of top six time as the season unfolds. I think both teams are ahead of schedule in terms of the expected competitive timeline. Leafs may make noise in the playoffs this Eason while if Devils are a bubble team in late March that would be a big improvement.

Agree about most of this and thanks for the first reasonable response in this thread.

What you said about Henrique applies to any of Kadri, Marleau, Bozak, JVR, Marleau & Marner (depending on which of those guys you classify as the Leafs 3rd line). Any of them are good enough for a Top 6F role on almost every single team in the league so that's what people refer to when saying the Leafs depth is pretty amazing. I would venture that they have one of, if not the best, 3rd lines in the league regardless of whether that's technically JVR/Bozak/Marner or Marleau/Kadri/Komarov given just how much each of those lines produces in terms of points/goals.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I watched them at the end of last season, so now it's difficult to think there could be a more improved club in the NHL. There just can't be.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Agree about most of this and thanks for the first reasonable response in this thread.

What you said about Henrique applies to any of Kadri, Marleau, Bozak, JVR, Marleau & Marner (depending on which of those guys you classify as the Leafs 3rd line). Any of them are good enough for a Top 6F role on almost every single team in the league so that's what people refer to when saying the Leafs depth is pretty amazing. I would venture that they have one of, if not the best, 3rd lines in the league regardless of whether that's technically JVR/Bozak/Marner or Marleau/Kadri/Komarov given just how much each of those lines produces in terms of points/goals.

No question Leafs have a great lineup. To some extent, Devils have followed Leafs example in going from drab and plodding to fast and attacking. I think the dramatic difference in the NJ level of play from the end of last year to the beginning of this year has fans of the franchise excited - similar to Toronto fans last year and this year. It’s early and injuries always play a role in end results in pro sports. As a Leafs fan I think you saw first hand in the game the other night that the Devils have done a complete 180 since last year and they are - as the OP said “exciting”. That works both ways - they scored six but also allowed a lot of shots against. After the plodding and low event Devils for the past few years this year’s team is a breath of fresh air. I’m sure the turnaround for Toronto last year was similar.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
No question Leafs have a great lineup. To some extent, Devils have followed Leafs example in going from drab and plodding to fast and attacking. I think the dramatic difference in the NJ level of play from the end of last year to the beginning of this year has fans of the franchise excited - similar to Toronto fans last year and this year. It’s early and injuries always play a role in end results in pro sports. As a Leafs fan I think you saw first hand in the game the other night that the Devils have done a complete 180 since last year and they are - as the OP said “exciting”. That works both ways - they scored six but also allowed a lot of shots against. After the plodding and low event Devils for the past few years this year’s team is a breath of fresh air. I’m sure the turnaround for Toronto last year was similar.

Absolutely. Despite the Leafs losing that was a fun game to watch precisely because the Devils are playing a very exciting brand of hockey right now. It does remind me of the Leafs last year, so it will be interesting to see whether they can maintain that for the rest of the year.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Absolutely. Despite the Leafs losing that was a fun game to watch precisely because the Devils are playing a very exciting brand of hockey right now. It does remind me of the Leafs last year, so it will be interesting to see whether they can maintain that for the rest of the year.

My prediction is they continue to play that way with ups and downs in the standings barring a kooky amount of injuries or something. Next year when they can finally start upgrading the defense I think you’ll see a big leap in the standings. The goalies and forwards are in good shape but the D is a work in progress

Reactions: TDK88

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Great young pieces in every position, players coming from my position out of nowhere contributing, like jesper bratt who? dude looks great btw.

Hope it continues on, would like to see the damage Hallsy can do in the playoffs.
Hurricanes too, would like to see those 2 teams make the playoffs in the crazily competitive metro division.

AveryQuietMan

free chinese food for everyone
Oct 2, 2017
Great young pieces in every position, players coming from my position out of nowhere contributing, like jesper bratt who? dude looks great btw.

Hope it continues on, would like to see the damage Hallsy can do in the playoffs.
Hurricanes too, would like to see those 2 teams make the playoffs in the crazily competitive metro division.

are you even watching tonight? :thumbd:. back to earth we go.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I don't really think the Devils will make the playoffs. It's a nice start with some nice talent but unless Schneider goes nuts, they aren't going to make the playoffs.

The Devils are way further along than people give them credit for though. I think they make the playoffs as early as next year on the backs of their young players with a healthy lineup.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don't really think the Devils will make the playoffs. It's a nice start with some nice talent but unless Schneider goes nuts, they aren't going to make the playoffs.

The Devils are way further along than people give them credit for though. I think they make the playoffs as early as next year on the backs of their young players with a healthy lineup.
Agreed, even if they dont make it this season, they are looking great, irregardless of this game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad