Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Why would they ever sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal in a million years?

So they shouldn't sign him to an 8 year deal. Or a 1 or a 2. So only what's best for Boston. K

I think this is the biggest issue.

Swayman to max his salary it is either 1 or 2 years to prove or pay up for 8.
Boston wants a long term cheap contract but Swayman knows he is worth more.

Curious what they do.

A 7x3 deal locks him for 3 years and 21 million.

Be 28 when he needs a new deal 28 to 36 or 28 to 35 locks good years.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He really can’t be asking for 9 or more. Sorokin and Hellebuyck just got extended for less than that and have better resumes. I’ve said for a while that it should be 8x8, I think it’s too much, but we can afford it and supposedly the cap is going up.
Sorokin, the guy who lost the job to the backup? Hellebuyck the guy who turns into a fraud in the playoffs?

Swayman hasn't had an opportunity to put up a vezina season like those two have, but he also hasn't been as bad as them at their worst either

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I get why Boston doesn't want to give him that kind of money, he had a good playoffs but he hasn't ever played 60 games in a season, and you have no real track record to go on. Even 8 x 8 is a huge gamble under those conditions.

As for those that think Swayman has Boston over a barrel, he doesn't, and every day that ticks off towards December 1st he loses a little more of whatever leverage he does have.

For those saying he can go play in Europe, its not going to happen, because no one in Europe is going to pay him 5-6 million for the season, and if he has an agent that is trying to get every dime out of a team he is not going to let Swayman lose that kind of money. Any way you want to look at it that would be hard to scratch back even over a 10 year career.

So yeah Boston may hurt a little while until he signs, so what? Its better to have a little short terrm pain now than to be dealing with an overpaid goalie for the next 8 years.

Based on what he has proven so far I don't think any organization would be willing to fork out an 8 year deal anywhere close to 8 a season, let alone anywhere close to 10. Thing is teams usually will take gambles on contracts like this to save a bunch of money on the back end if they really believe in a guy, but at 9-10 million a season you aren't saving enough to be worth taking that gamble.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I get why Boston doesn't want to give him that kind of money, he had a good playoffs but he hasn't ever played 60 games in a season, and you have no real track record to go on. Even 8 x 8 is a huge gamble under those conditions.

As for those that think Swayman has Boston over a barrel, he doesn't, and every day that ticks off towards December 1st he loses a little more of whatever leverage he does have.

For those saying he can go play in Europe, its not going to happen, because no one in Europe is going to pay him 5-6 million for the season, and if he has an agent that is trying to get every dime out of a team he is not going to let Swayman lose that kind of money. Any way you want to look at it that would be hard to scratch back even over a 10 year career.

So yeah Boston may hurt a little while until he signs, so what? Its better to have a little short terrm pain now than to be dealing with an overpaid goalie for the next 8 years.

Based on what he has proven so far I don't think any organization would be willing to fork out an 8 year deal anywhere close to 8 a season, let alone anywhere close to 10. Thing is teams usually will take gambles on contracts like this to save a bunch of money on the back end if they really believe in a guy, but at 9-10 million a season you aren't saving enough to be worth taking that gamble.

I can see why Boston would hesitate to give franchise goalie money to a homegrown platoon guy.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I can see why Boston would hesitate to give franchise goalie money to a homegrown platoon guy.
I mean the Preds just signed Saros, and that's a guy that has been carrying the load for multiple seasons and lots of fans don't think he was worth the contract he got and Swayman is apparently wanting more than that.

If you are Boston's GM its all a matter of risk vs reward. 8 years at 6 million a season the risk of the long term deal is outweighed by the possible reward, that is worth the gamble. However, at 10 million x 8 its all risk with almost no reward.

If he lives up to the contract that is great, but you didn't really save anything on the back end to take that risk. You basically just got what you paid for. However, if he falls off you can't even just say it was better than it could have been in that situation.

I think we tend to forget as fans sometimes that GM's want to sign their good players, its good for the team and its good for the players. The thing is though it gets real iffy when that guy might be good, but hasn't proven that over the long term yet. The franchises that make the playoffs year in and year out do so because they generally mitigate the risk while keeping their talent.

Reactions: Helistin

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I mean the Preds just signed Saros, and that's a guy that has been carrying the load for multiple seasons and lots of fans don't think he was worth the contract he got and Swayman is apparently wanting more than that.

If you are Boston's GM its all a matter of risk vs reward. 8 years at 6 million a season the risk of the long term deal is outweighed by the possible reward, that is worth the gamble. However, at 10 million x 8 its all risk with almost no reward.

If he lives up to the contract that is great, but you didn't really save anything on the back end to take that risk. You basically just got what you paid for. However, if he falls off you can't even just say it was better than it could have been in that situation.

I think we tend to forget as fans sometimes that GM's want to sign their good players, its good for the team and its good for the players. The thing is though it gets real iffy when that guy might be good, but hasn't proven that over the long term yet. The franchises that make the playoffs year in and year out do so because they generally mitigate the risk while keeping their talent.

Well, I just remember how Ullmark and Swayman were kind of an unknown duo at the time of Rask's retirement. As an outsider I lowkey think they can get very serviceable goaltending out of Korpisalo and Bussi at a fraction of the cost.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Sorokin, the guy who lost the job to the backup? Hellebuyck the guy who turns into a fraud in the playoffs?

Swayman hasn't had an opportunity to put up a vezina season like those two have, but he also hasn't been as bad as them at their worst either

He hasn't had a chance to fail either. Very few full-time goalies are amazing all the time because there are so many other factors that go into a goalie's performance. Until Swayman adds a bit more to his own resume, I'm not sure why he thinks he deserves as much or even more than those two guys.

Reactions: SPV

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

8 years at 6mil is worth the gamble?

No shit.

That wouldn’t be a gamble, but more of a steal of the century for Boston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad