Speculation: The Bruins and Jeremy Swayman are far apart in contract term (length) and dollar amount.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
They must be making some progress even if it’s not being shared with the gossip columnists aka insiders.
Sweeney shares nothing. He'll be signed by opening night. Probably is down within a million and it's not in either side's interest to let it play out this long.

He's still very young and missing some/most of camp won't hinder him. He'll thrive in a bigger role and has wanted to, and has been ready to be the guy for a while.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sweeney shares nothing. He'll be signed by opening night. Probably is down within a million and it's not in either side's interest to let it play out this long.

He's still very young and missing some/most of camp won't hinder him. He'll thrive in a bigger role and has wanted to, and has been ready to be the guy for a while.
So 10 x 8?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I know this is a popular narrative but FWIW he has 48 points in 55 games, could be better given his immense skill but people act like hes Rick Nash.
48 in 58 in brutal for the apparent 2nd best player in the world according to their fans (even #1 for the most delusional). Especially when you look at his stats in elimination games.

McDavid almost tied that in a single run lol.

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
We can always count on you, @nbwingsfan , to bash the Leafs.

Going after Matthews' pre-season scoring record, in a Jeremy Swayman thread? Come on, now, you can do better than that!

Give it a try!

Reactions: AvroArrow

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy... but I feel like the B's are in a bit of an impossible position here.

Paying goalies the big bucks is fraught with issues. They can get hurt, they can suffer from poor play, and honestly, more importantly, to win a Stanley Cup, you have to go through 4 teams -- at least one of which will have a goalie making $5-6m less performing at the same level.

No GM really wants to say "I'm building a team to win in 3-4 years" when they've got a team as good as the B's are right now.... which is essentially what you're saying when you give a young player 8-years.... "I'm overpaying you now, in hopes that as the cap rises and you continue to improve, you'll be underpaid in the back half".

Swayman apparently wants $9.5 x 8... the B's I'd imagine want to be at $6m x 4 or 5. If you imagine that he's a $13-14m goalie in 4-5 years... it's essentially the same money. Considering where the B's are at as a franchise right now, $6m x5 is an unquestionably better idea.

It's not a "non-belief" in Jeremy Swayman, simply an identification that goaltending is voodoo, and the team is in a position to win now.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
It has nothing to do with who owns the team. its that the goalie wants to be paid at a not deserved ammount. Its basically a bad contract waiting to happen.
Yes. The person cutting cheques has nothing to do with high value/dollar contracts that influence the business . Maybe in the government and public service but this is a private business. It’s different.

I’m not suggesting his contract will sink the franchise economically but it’s naive to think an owner doesn’t have influence on contract negotiations where the agent has stated an objective to “set the market “ for the position.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
We can always count on you, @nbwingsfan , to bash the Leafs.

Going after Matthews' pre-season scoring record, in a Jeremy Swayman thread? Come on, now, you can do better than that!

Give it a try!

He didnt bring Matthews name up and he's talking about the post-season. Good job.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I'm pretty sure a team could offer ~9 million on 5 years or less and it be only 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

The thing is what team would be happy giving those picks away along with paying Swayman $9 million a year? Not so sure it would be easy to trade him, or at least not for a huge return.

Reactions: wintersej

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Talbot the year before Ottawa: .911
In Ottawa: .898
The year after: .913

Korpisalo is streaky but he's had some decent numbers before, and Boston often gets the most out of goalies. I really don't think he'll be the same as he was in Ottawa.

That said - if Boston wants to be a top team and has cup aspirations, Korpisalo isn't getting them there. I just think they can start without Swayman if they need to.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
DiPietro had better numbers than Bussi did in the AHL last year. To say one guy is hardly AHL talent while the other is a borderline #3 is an interesting take

Bussi the AHL starter last two seasons.
6'4 vs 6'0.
Dipietro full time ECHL just two seasons ago. Back up last season AHL.

I know which I'd take in the NHL if desperate. Dipietro has not done much this preseason to change that, as questionable as Bussi has been.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Bussi the AHL starter last two seasons.
6'4 vs 6'0.
Dipietro full time ECHL just two seasons ago. Back up last season AHL.

I know which I'd take in the NHL if desperate. Dipietro has not done much this preseason to change that, as questionable as Bussi has been.

None of that refutes anything I said....

Last season for Providence
Bussi - 2.67 GAA / .913 SV% / 1 SO
DiPietro - 2.51 GAA / .918 SV% / 4 SO

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Yes. The person cutting cheques has nothing to do with high value/dollar contracts that influence the business . Maybe in the government and public service but this is a private business. It’s different.

I’m not suggesting his contract will sink the franchise economically but it’s naive to think an owner doesn’t have influence on contract negotiations where the agent has stated an objective to “set the market “ for the position.

A bad contract is still a bad contract. The last thing the NHL teams want is having to give high dollar contracts to goalies that do not deserve thus screwing everything else.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Any NHL level goalie and they are set. Their system doesn't depend on the goalie.

So you think Korpi and Bussi give equal results to Ullmark and Swayman?

If not, which NHL goalies are available days before camp they could replace Swayman with?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
F Swayman, man. If he wants too much money, F him. Boston will be just fine without him. Petty players, greedy players, make my blood boil. Oh they said “mean things” in an arbitration hearing, cry me a river. More teams should just make their RFAs sit out if they don’t want to fall in line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad