The Blues after the first quarter of the season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm happy with the team's progress in the first quarter.

We seem to have found two defensemen - one in the hot prospect Perunovich and the other in the forgotten prospect Mikkola. Husso looks good. But I don't want to go down the whole lineup.

How do you feel about the team?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Probably same as before. Potential to be really good, still have some fatal flaws and inconsistency though. Getting some of the young forwards to break through and Buchnevich quickly adapting bodes well for our future. As the older forwards eventually decline, Thomas/Kyrou/Buchnevich should be able to pick up the slack and provide 1st line production IMO.

Need to get ROR and Schenn going.

Last edited:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The team is sitting about where I expected, but have gotten there dealing with a bit more adversity than I'd have expected after 23 games. I'd have predicted the team to have a couple less points if you had told me that ROR wouldn't be playing like a 1C and that we'd already be down to just 6 guys who have played every game.

We're tied for 11th in points, 10th in goal differential, 15th in points percentage, 7th in goals per game, and we have a top 5 PP in the league. I didn't think that this team was a legit contender at the start of the year and they still don't look like one. However, the steps taken by Kyrou and Thomas appear massive and Perunovich/Mikkola are suggesting that they can be genuine contributors sooner than later. We haven't taken the step to contender status at the quarter mark, but I'm closer to believing that the roster is capable of getting there by April than I was 2 months ago.

Ultimately, this team as currently constructed is good enough to contend if it gets top 5-10 goaltending. We got that caliber of goaltending for the first 3 weeks of the season and went 7-1-1. The goaltending has been below average in the 4 weeks since and we have gone 5-7-2.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Multiple teams have had a combination of injuries and Covid disruptions. The Blues have had theirs and its not over yet. I think this regular season is about surviving and finding some way to qualify for the post-season. Its probably going to get uglier before it gets better. But the games are mostly fun to watch with this team.

Reactions: Sgt Schultz

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
The Blues are in a transition season towards a fast skating scoring off the rush team, depending more on high scoring than on smothering defence. I like the way Thomas and Kyrou are pointing towards having breakout seasons this year, and how Buchnevich is fitting in so well, so quickly, Krug seems more integrated into team play, Mikkola has progressed, and Faulk has taken over as a leader. The Blues still need help on LD, and Scandella's game has degraded quite a bit, and Parayko has been very inconsistent. Tarasenko's hot start has petered out, but, he still is much better than last year. I'd like the team to start playing really well again, and have him decide to stay, at least for the short term (a couple years). But I don't know if that will ruin the chances to get back a reasonably high-quality LD in a deadline trade. I'd like to see how they play with everyone back and healthy, but still want to see a solid LD added. I'd like to see Binnington get hot again, and Husso improve more with additional experience. I will monitor Perunovich's progress carefully. But, I can't help thinking he'll be a really good NHL player (better than I had previously expected). I hope Perron will be back to last season's form after he is fully healthy.

Reactions: BlueMed

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Kyrou is a superstar in the making. He's in the next tier below the McDavids/MacKinnons of the world in terms of his visible impact on the game.

Thomas is a future bona fide #1C.

Parayko is looking like his old self with all the rushes and the way he jumps into the offensive zone. He will only get better, health willing.

I hope we don't trade Tarasenko.

Binnington can be better. Will he? Time will tell.

Overall, I still maintain that this team is good enough to make the playoffs as constructed.

Whether we can get luck, health and everyone playing to their fullest abilities determines how far we can go if we get there. :nod:

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
Multiple teams have had a combination of injuries and Covid disruptions. The Blues have had theirs and its not over yet. I think this regular season is about surviving and finding some way to qualify for the post-season. Its probably going to get uglier before it gets better. But the games are mostly fun to watch with this team.

This.

I think everybody knows this, but the NHL has two distinct seasons in one. The goal of the first is just survival to get to the second, preferably finding the formula to win in the second along the way. The second season is a battle of attrition.

The President's Trophy means nothing. In 35 seasons. 8 have won the Stanley Cup while 7 have been dispatched from the playoffs in the first round.

I'd like to see more consistency out of this team from game to game, but I am also not going to worry about that until after the first of the year. The first half of that "first season" is just about collecting points, however that happens. The second half is where consistency of performance in the point collection process starts becoming more important.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Somewhere between dumpster fire and serious contender.

Baring any serious injuries, it just depends on the mental state of the team on game day.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
for the players on the ice - about where i expected. strong scoring team but can't score their way out of every mistake.

for the fans around here - more gloomy than expected

Reactions: Reality Czech

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
The 2019 resolve is still in this team. They get battered but come back and fight. We have a lot going against us but that’s when we end up playing our best hockey. Lots of potential that’s blooming, excited to see where that takes us. Keep rolling, keep fighting. Happy with the result so far.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
As most of us knew coming into the season, defense isn’t where it needs to be.

I knew Kyrou would breakout. I was not as confident about Thomas. Both have exceeded expectations and that is exciting.

Buch looks like a good fit and Saad has been as I would have expected.

Barby and Tarasenko have far outpaced expectations. I still wonder if they can sustain this pace.

ROR and Schenn look to be aging.

Sunny doesn’t seem to be doing much out there. Maybe he just needs more time.

Kostin hasn’t done much, same with Neal, Dak, and Bozak.

Perron has looked ok and blah when without ROR.

Parayko has not stepped up, but I think having a better partner would help.

Faulk continues to be our best all around D.

Krug is really solid offensively. Defensively, we need more.

Scandella has been bad. Mikkola looked bad to start, but better as of late. Walman has been mediocre but I don’t think he has been terrible like seemingly many others do. Granted, I think he is a 7th D so maybe I have different expectations.

Perunovich looks poised. He hasn’t really been as dynamic yet as I know he can be, but it feels like it is coming.

Binnington has been very inconsistent both interms of focus and positioning (he has over slid way too much this year).

Husso certainly looks better.

Last edited:

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Somewhere between dumpster fire and serious contender.

Baring any serious injuries, it just depends on the mental state of the team on game day.

Literally every team fits in this spectrum.

We have a different team than 2019 with much more firepower upfront but less shut down ability on the backend. Goaltending talent is pretty much the same.

Reactions: Meatball

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis

I knew Kyrou would breakout. I was not as confident about Thomas. Both have exceeded expectations and that is exciting.

Barby and Tarasenko have far outpaced expectations. I still wonder if they can sustain this pace.

Scandella has been bad. Mikkola looked bad to start, but better as of late. Walman has been mediocre but I don’t think he has been terrible like seemingly many others do. Granted, I think he is a 7th D so maybe I have different expectations.

Perunovich looks poised. He hasn’t really been as dynamic yet as I know he can be, but it feels like it is coming.

Binnington has been very inconsistent both interns of focus and positioning (he has over slid way too much this year.

These are my thoughts as well

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Binnington has been very inconsistent both interms of focus and positioning (he has over slid way too much this year).

Pretty spot on

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Kyrou has the lowest ATOI for a PPG forward in the Salarycap era. The only other two players that were a PPG with under a 17Min ATOI was Thomas Vanek (06-07) and Andy MacDonald (05-06)
I know this usage has been criticized by Dom and other national pundits, but I think it’s simply a reflection of some patience and wisdom from the coaches, combined with a pretty phenomenal breakout by Kyrou.

But the truth is he hit the wall pretty hard last season. The goal for the Blues is to be playing their best in the postseason (after qualifying in the first place). Avoiding riding Kyrou into the ground shows some restraint.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I know this usage has been criticized by Dom and other national pundits, but I think it’s simply a reflection of some patience and wisdom from the coaches, combined with a pretty phenomenal breakout by Kyrou.

But the truth is he hit the wall pretty hard last season. The goal for the Blues is to be playing their best in the postseason (after qualifying in the first place). Avoiding riding Kyrou into the ground shows some restraint.
That's a good point, Yappi. Keeping Kyrou's TOI down is prolly a good idea at this point in the season.

I'm kinda Celtic Note's thoughts on both Kyrou and RT. Kyrou has moxie, but RT has had me wondering what his damage is. He is still frustrating at times with the pass-first mentality, but watching him blow through defenders en route to scoring areas is super exciting.

Reactions: Meatball

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I had never heard 0f Buch before he was traded here. There was a lot of hype about him and the steal of a deal trade. He's been impressive.

I'm happy we didn't fall apart during the stretch where O'Reilly, Schenn and Perron were out or ineffective.

I'm happy about the emergence of Mikkola and Peru. They came from our organization and that is what you hope for. Making big trade and signing expensive free agents is exciting, but risky business

Reactions: badmoth

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I'll be amazed if we make the playoffs if we continue playing like this. This team is inconsistent. Ever since COVID hit the Blues have lost all confidence and consistency.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Past few games have been good, but they need to build off of it and start getting wins. Need at least a point on Tuesday and we need Faulk and Perron back.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Pretty much what I expected for the most part. Forwards have been pretty great for the most part, and our defense outside of Faulk is a huge question mark. Husso is a big bright spot. Kyrou, Thomas, Perunovich also great, but less surprising. I don't have much hope for this team to put together any sort of postseason run without a substantial upgrade on defense. We just bleed too many chances against, so that even when Binnington and Husso play well(which they have for the most part) it's still difficult to pull out victories against decent teams. Scandella is either hurt(and playing through it to try to avoid getting passed on the depth chart by Perunovich and Mikkola) or he's lost it. It's very similar to when Bouw was returning from his first real injury. Every game there are multiple high danger chances against simply because he can't make a very easy play. He's never been a puck mover, I don't expect him to be, but I also don't expect him to backhand the puck into our slot like he did against Detroit, or the countless fanned passes or ill-advised passes throughout the season. I believe that Marco has it in him to be a solid 4/5 Dman, but he's been an absolute liability this year. He and Parayko are relied upon to be our shutdown pair and they're the most nerve-wracking pairing on the team. They have to be better if we have any chance to topple the giants in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad