• lead by example
  • be one great enough to follow

#2 THE LEAGUE
  • correspond with on-ice officials, especially on calls
  • have the authority to convey coach-to-ref decisions

#3 THE PUBLIC
  • handle media duties
  • represent the team in the public eye

We herald guys who have aspects of the role. But who are guys who personify all three?

(Note: the #1 area has heroes of different parts of it. Who has done everything elite?)

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Biased obviously, but it is hard to not simply answer mister Beliveau.

For number he and his wife are hard to beat, from the play day until death, her seat behind the bench was legendary, she was MTL first lady and in a very rabid hockey market, Beliveau phone number was a regular name with his actual phone number that people called, he answered the door to fans visiting him at his private home.

When Turgeon became captain, tell the story that he went to have super with Beliveau, I never heard a bad word about him, the gravita and his look-stature, the voice, the level of play, the career it is like drawing a captain.

As for leading by example, seem really good as well.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
onbes-tQ_400x400.jpg

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Not sure how you start trying to rank Sakic-Yzerman-Bourque with each other, feel like a tier system where I have them mentally close to each other, but I feel the last 6-7 years put them above Toews, auto-immune/resporarity issues make it unfair.

Having to pick, maybe it would be Yzerman-Bourque-Sakic in that order, but feel nitpicky. Never saw or heard anything about them that would make anyfranchise having second thought about making them lifelong captain and face of their franchise (or the league). Crosby joined that tier for me a while ago and he is just cementing it more and more, outside one playoff series against the Flyers and too much ref talk early on, almost a no fault since.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
There's no way any of us can confidently declare anyone the best captain. Certain captains - Beliveau, Yzerman, Messier, Toews etc. - have big reputations and various stories and attestations to how good they were as captains. If I had to pick a captain for an all time team of hockey greats I'd pick Beliveau but there are plenty of good options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad