The Athletic's 100 best players - Yzerman at 15

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Before I say he’s too high or too low, I’d like to see who’s above him. Does the list include current players?

Reactions: Sentinel

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Before I say he’s too high or too low, I’d like to see who’s above him. Does the list include current players?
McDavid was right behind him at 16. Crosby and Ovechkin are yet to hit the list. The scope is 1967 to current with a 400 games played cutoff.

Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
They have Sakic ahead of him, which is a mistake.
See that I don’t agree with. My guess is Sakics individual awards are the reason. I think unfortunately Yzerman will always be underrated because he played in an era when then best two players of all time played. Anyone would be #3 to Gretzky and Lemieux and win nothing (indidually) playing in their era.

Reactions: Oddbob

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I'm in health care, and a while ago I was having lunch with one of our Orthopedic Surgeons. She's European, and not really a sports fan. She mentioned she was going to perform an Osteotomy on a geriatric patient the following week. I brought up Yzerman...his original injury (played the YouTube video for her) and the fact that the Osteotomy came some 13 years later.

She's European, and not a sports fan. She was intrigued, though because Osteotomys are almost exclusively performed on the elderly. I texted her a few more articles about his injuries.

She emailed me a few weeks later. She was genuinely baffled how a professional athlete could have that particular surgery and still perform at all, let alone at a high level. She said he must have been in incredible pain on a daily basis.

I said, "That's our Captain."

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
like Fedorov seems too low but article at least got some interviews from people in the organization this time and was about how he played instead of the Nikes lol

wouldnt mind some love given to the Louisville TPS sticks though always liked those

Holden Caufield

Oct 9, 2020
Ontario
I personally have 6 guys in front of him;
Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe, Richard and Messier.

Then I would say McDavid is a better player.
Since they list cutoff as 400 games. He qualifies. Even though Yzerman clearly had a better career (so far).

It’s a large grey area when ranking/comparing players who don’t even play the same position. Didn’t play in the same era. Or didn’t play the same style of hockey.
But considering all the different variables, there is a debate that can be made for Yzerman against any player not listed above IMO.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I personally have 6 guys in front of him;
Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe, Richard and Messier.

Then I would say McDavid is a better player.
Since they list cutoff as 400 games. He qualifies. Even though Yzerman clearly had a better career (so far).

It’s a large grey area when ranking/comparing players who don’t even play the same position. Didn’t play in the same era. Or didn’t play the same style of hockey.
But considering all the different variables, there is a debate that can be made for Yzerman against any player not listed above IMO.
Many previous lists have Messier ahead of Yzerman, this has Messier at 17.

It would be hard to argue that Yzerman is ahead of Lidstrom. As underappreciated as Lidstrom was early in his career, his complete defensive game has set a new bar for excellence.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
15 is too low. He should be borderline top 10. I think there are 4 or 5 forwards, 2 or 3 backs and 2 or 3 goalies ahead of him, depending on how you rank.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Crosby ahead of Yzerman?!?!🤮🤮🤮
I know right.....I truly believe that the reason for this is because Crosby is thought of by the media as the #1 player of his generation (maybe #2 to Ovie by some), while Yzerman was always the clear cut #3 of his era.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Forwards unequivocally ahead of Yzerman:

Gretzky, Howe, Lemieux, Esposito, Ovechkin, Beliveau, Makarov, Crosby, and Jagr.

Sakic, Messier, and Richard are about on the same level.
Ovie is a better goal scorer then Yzerman, but I wouldn’t call him a better player. Yzerman is better in almost every other department outside of finishing, and was much better in the playoffs. Also, people forget Yzerman did score 50+ 5 times including a 65 goal campaign. I also put Yzerman above Crosby and Jagr.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He's the third best Wing ever. Behind Howe (obviously) and Lidstrom. 15 feels low especially since they will have Sakic higher and I disagree with that.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I'm in health care, and a while ago I was having lunch with one of our Orthopedic Surgeons. She's European, and not really a sports fan. She mentioned she was going to perform an Osteotomy on a geriatric patient the following week. I brought up Yzerman...his original injury (played the YouTube video for her) and the fact that the Osteotomy came some 13 years later.

She's European, and not a sports fan. She was intrigued, though because Osteotomys are almost exclusively performed on the elderly. I texted her a few more articles about his injuries.

She emailed me a few weeks later. She was genuinely baffled how a professional athlete could have that particular surgery and still perform at all, let alone at a high level. She said he must have been in incredible pain on a daily basis.

I said, "That's our Captain."

I remember hearing a story I think it might have been from Redmond that when the Dr's recommended the surgery Yzernman asked how long until I can play, and the Dr. said play?, this is just so you can walk.

Reactions: Stony Curtis

tabness

be a playa 🇵🇸
Apr 4, 2014
Comparing players using awards and accomplishments across eras is pointless, they didn't play together at the same stages of their careers, basically incommensurable contexts to do a trophy count. Especially in the case of Yzerman and who else was around, not just Gretzky and Lemieux, but so many other greats, the star power was just insane.

I would be more than happy with Yzerman against just about anyone he played with throughout his career. Sure, there's Gretzky and Lemieux, and likely Lindros despite his short career, and I guess you would add McDavid now too (but then I also think of how Stevie would also thrive in this type of game with these sticks and skates and it being so soft now to lol).

I'm sure there are fans of other franchise players who would take their guy, and that's cool. These things are always less open and shut than all these rankings seem to portray, look at how forgotten a guy like Pat LaFontaine is and I think he's the best comparable to Yzerman in ability and style that played when he played (even if there are differences there), but Yzerman is Detroit's guy, he was an everything player for us.

Stevie came in at a prolonged period of awfulness for a once great franchise and it took quite a while to get real talent around him. Literally every other Red Wings great that's well remembered in franchise history never really had to go through that that, and we simply don't have that caliber player right now in this period of sucking, we'll see what the future holds.

Then, he went through some real tough times in the prime of his career. In the later part of the eighties, he sort of saw the wheels fall off a previously overachieving team, with so many teammates going through personal issues, and Stevie still carried them as far as he could.

In the early nineties, as the team got better, he took a less prominent role that led to lesser numbers as Bryan Murray wanted balance with two other legit first line centers in Fedorov and Carson and to bring back the defensive rigor that Demers had started off with. When Carson was traded in 1993, not much surprise, Stevie scored like the 150 point guy he was before.

The basic stats are amazing as they are, but then look at all the underlying stats:

Stevie looks even better with even strength goals and points. Then consider that the Wings didn't get as many powerplays initially in the late eighties compared to the league and his powerplay points are lower due to opportunity than many stars. When the powerplay got good in the early nineties, he didn't play most of it and rarely played with Fedorov (even Fedorov's 1993-1994 season is suppressed statwise due to sharing powerplay opportunities and not really playing with Yzerman).

Stevie's road even strength stats are staggeringly good (reasons why a player would have good road splits are generally for flattering reasons - not running up the score in wins at home, not as reliant on easy matchups, not as affected by hard matchups, more defensive role at home, or even just home arena effects).

Score effects stats are flattering too - compared to other star players, less percentage points and goals in blowouts.

Points together stats - only really Islanders LaFontaine and early Mario Lemieux have comparable lack of talent on points together.

When Scotty Bowman came around, he barely got to see Yzerman at his best, as he was injured early in 1993-1994. When he came back, even though the stats were still good, he wasn't fully healed and wasn't the same player. That's what he was judged as, and not the best version of Stevie, and Scotty went after him hard. For a guy who had given the best years of his career to a team that wasn't good, Stevie was treated really poorly and thought as expendable as they started getting good. He didn't demand a trade, and he publicly stated he didn't want to be traded despite the treatment. Stevie continued to sacrifice even more personal stats and was the first to buy into Scotty's system, and sell it to his teammates. He straight up forced Scotty to give him respect with his play.

The numbers may not be super high in the late nineties, but judging by that honestly isn't worth bothering with for me. Just like Fedorov, it's quite obvious Yzerman coulda scored more if not for the team context. This is seen by his production when given the linemates and role (so like early in 1996-1997 playing with Shanahan, Yzerman was scoring at a 100 point pace, but he ended the year with Sandstrom and McCarty).

Even Stevie's last years after his knee osteotomy show what kind of player he was. Even after not playing the lockout year, and initially having a tough time in the faster league, by the end of the year he was once again one of the best players on the team, he had a pretty long point streak.

You look at what everyone who played with Stevie says about him, it's always glowingly positive. Even guys who had otherwise bad experiences in Detroit like Bernie Federko earlier or Curtis Joseph later have nothing but respect for Stevie in their books.

We've had a ton of great players come through Detroit in the recent past, and have legends like Fedorov and Lidstrom, and then Zetterberg and Datsyuk, but if I had to choose the best Red Wing of my lifetime, it's so obviously Stevie.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I was the equivalent of a Hulkamaniac for Yzerman as a kid. An Yzermaniac if you will. But I totally get putting Crosby ahead of him at this point. Crosby had just as many Cups, more Hart Trophies, two Conn Smythes. It makes sense.

Crosby didn’t have Lemieux and Gretzky to compete against for those Hart and Art Ross trophies.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Yzerman nearly lost an eye, a knee, and powered through countless other injuries for this organization and put up a mountain of points doing it and helped the team overcome a 42 year title drought. Not to mention making sure they won it again after the Konstantinov tragedy.

Crosby is a sniveling little baby ass bitch. I don't care what trophies he has, I don't how many cups he ends up winning, or however many points he scores. He is never going to be better than Yzerman.

There, that is the end of my completely bias, but totally correct rant. 😄

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I remember hearing a story I think it might have been from Redmond that when the Dr's recommended the surgery Yzernman asked how long until I can play, and the Dr. said play?, this is just so you can walk.
At one point, our surgeon asked me, "Was there ever any indication of drug or alcohol abuse?" Due to the incredible pain, substance abuse can be a real problem with sufferers of chronic arthritis and related conditions. I laughed and said, "No rumors of hard drugs or alcohol, but there are lots of talk that he's a fan of the THC, lol."

She thought for a minute, looked at me, laughed, and said, "Good choice."

Think I like SY even more after that.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Ovie is a better goal scorer then Yzerman, but I wouldn’t call him a better player. Yzerman is better in almost every other department outside of finishing, and was much better in the playoffs. Also, people forget Yzerman did score 50+ 5 times including a 65 goal campaign. I also put Yzerman above Crosby and Jagr.
Nobody forgets anything. But Yzerman's 5x50+ goals came in a much higher scoring era. And Ovechkin has 9x50+

Ovy is the best goalscorer in the HISTORY OF THE GAME. 3 Harts, 1 Art Ross, and 9 Richards to Yzerman's zeroes. I am a huge fan of Yzerman but as far as achievements go, this is not a contest.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Nobody forgets anything. But Yzerman's 5x50+ goals came in a much higher scoring era. And Ovechkin has 9x50+

Ovy is the best goalscorer in the HISTORY OF THE GAME. 3 Harts, 1 Art Ross, and 9 Richards to Yzerman's zeroes. I am a huge fan of Yzerman but as far as achievements go, this is not a contest.
I agree Ovie is a better goal scorer, but he isn’t a better player. If Ovie played at the same time as Gretzky and Lemieux, he doesn’t win any of the harts or art Ross trophies and likely just a handful of those Richard trophies.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad