The All-Time AAA11 Thread (sign-up, roster post, picks, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Michigan drafts Andre Boudrias.

Boudrias_1_b.jpg

491 points in 662 games

1973-74 NHL Assists 59 (5)
1974-75 NHL Assists 62 (8)

from Legends
Left-winger Andre Boudrias was only 5'8" but used his speed and accurate passing skills to elude checks and keep the opposition off balance. He played nearly 700 career games with five different teams in a solid career.

The Montreal native starred with the Junior Canadiens and led the OHA in scoring in 1962 and 1964. He spent the majority of his first four pro seasons in the minors since the Canadiens were so deep at forward. Expansion gave Boudrias a chance to shine after he was acquired by the Minnesota North Stars. He scored 53 points in 1967-68 then provided solid defensive play for the Stars, Chicago Black Hawks, and St. Louis Blues over the next two seasons.

The talented winger took on a great deal of offensive responsibility with the expansion Vancouver Canucks in 1970-71. Boudrias topped the 60-point mark in each of his first five years with the club before taking on a more defensive role and serving as the club's captain in 1975-76. He then added offensive savvy and leadership on the WHA's Quebec Nordiques before retiring in 1978.

from Wiki
Boudrias' career would finally take off when he was dealt to the expansion Vancouver Canucks for the 1970–71 season. He would quickly become the team's top offensive player, leading the team with a career-high 66 points. He would ultimately lead the team in scoring in 4 of their first 5 seasons, and only trailed Bobby Schmautz by a point the other year.

In Vancouver, Boudrias would earn the nickname 'Superpest' for his tremendous skating and forechecking abilities. Despite being a top-notch offensive centre, he was also a tremendous defensive player who could give opposing players fits with his buzzing presence all over the ice pressuring the puck. He would become one of the young franchise's most popular and identifiable players, and would be the team's first real offensive star.

He helped Vancouver to their first-ever playoff appearance in 1975, the only player from the inaugural squad in 1970 to do so.

For the 1975–76 season, Boudrias was named the team's captain, but slumped to his lowest totals as a Canuck, finishing with just 7 goals and 38 points as he began to be used in a more exclusively defensive role.

Now in his mid-30s and with his NHL career on the decline, Boudrias left the Canucks following the 1975–76 season to return closer to home, signing with the Quebec Nordiques of the WHA. He would spend two more successful seasons in Quebec, helping the Nordiques to the WHA Championship with a strong playoff performance in 1977, before retiring in 1978.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Michigan drafts Randy Burridge.

"Badger" scored 450 points in 706 games with a +65 then got 52 points in 107 playoff games with 103 PIM.

1272410701.jpg

from Legends
He was at his best in Boston where his relentless forechecking and consistent work ethic suited the small confines of the Garden.

The hard working forward thrived while forechecking in the tight corners of the Boston Garden. He was an asset on the both specialty teams and was often on the ice for critical face-offs. Burridge was also proficient in the post-season and helped Boston reach the Stanley Cup final in 1988 and 1990.

Following the 1990-91 season, Boston traded Burridge to the Washington Capitals. The industrious winger was enjoying a career season with 67 points in 66 games when he was knocked out of the lineup with a shoulder separation. Burridge lost most of the 1992-93 season to injuries then bounced back with 25 goals in 1993-94. He later played for the LA Kings and Buffalo Sabres, helping the latter reach the second round of the playoffs in 1997.

3681131952_2e3c028663.jpg

from sabreslegends.com
Burridge developed into a scrappy, hard working player. He would never become a superstar, but was recognized for his strong work ethic and solid defensive play.

from wiki
Over his career he made two trips to the Stanley Cup Finals (Boston Bruins).

With the Bruins, he was a two time winner of the Seventh Player Award (performing above and beyond expectations).

He also won the Elizabeth C. Dufresne Trophy in 1989 as the Bruins' home MVP.

In 1992 Burridge was named to the NHL All-Star Team while in Washington.

In Buffalo Randy earned the Tim Horton Memorial Award (Unsung Hero) as well as the Punch Imlach Memorial Award (Dedication and leadership 1995-1996).

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Halifax selects 6'1, 190 lbs. defenseman Gord Lane, an all-time great playoff warrior of the stay home and hit, defend your teammates and when needed rough things up kind of hockey that helped facilitate a dynasty in a tough era. His regular season career production is almost beside the point: He had 133 NHL points and 1228 PIM in 539 NHL career games.

lanegord1n.jpg

The up-and-coming Isles were in need of a tough, ornery defender whose profile fit Lane's to a tee.

He was paired with Dave Langevin and as a duo the two played solid, kitty-bar-the-door defense that laid the necessary foundation to help lead the club to four-straight Stanley Cup victories. Lane has been credited as being the team's most effective defender during that era.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13295

1980 Stanley Cup championship: 85 PIM in 21 playoff games with 4 points.
1981 Stanley Cup championship: 32 PIM in 12 playoff games with 6 points.
1982 Stanley Cup championship: 61 PIM in 19 playoff games with 4 points.
1983 Stanley Cup championship: 32 PIM in 18 playoff games with 3 points.

Lane's tough, defensive abilities did not go unappreciated by Islanders Head Coach, Al Arbour, who, like Lane, was a stay-at-home defenceman during his own playing career. Lane helped guide the Islanders steady defence during their four straight Stanley Cup championships (1980, 1981, 1982, 1983). Early in the 1983–1984 playoffs, Lane was injured and missed most of the Islanders playoff run. Lane's presence was sorely missed in the Cup finals, as the Oilers skated the tired, battered, and undermanned Islanders into the ice, dethroning the four-time champions in the process. An underrated enforcer who never failed to come to the aid of a teammate in trouble, Lane has been credited over the years with being the Islanders most effective defender during their Stanley Cup run
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gord_Lane

Rzeznik

Apr 6, 2008
Nova Scotia
With their 15th and 16th picks in the 11th AAA draft, the Cumberland County Cool Blues are pleased to select first, a great penalty killer and defensive player who could also chip in on offense, and didn't mind playing physical, from Gothenburg, Sweden, left winger...

Jorgen Pettersson
pettersson_jorgen.jpg

Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Jorgen Pettersson had skated six seasons in the Swedish Elite League with Vastra Frolunda before he was finally enticed to cross the Atlantic to take on the NHL.

The enticement came from St. Louis Blues GM Emile Francis. He personally flew to Stockholm to verify that the stylish, speedy Swede was the real deal. Impressed with his disciplined play and puck handling skills, Francis brought him to St. Louis and placed him on a line with xxxxx xxxxxx and Joe Mullen. The fit was right as Pettersson made a mark on the league by registering 73 points in 62 games.

Over succeeding seasons, he continued to develop into a more complete package as an outstanding penalty killer and above-average defensive player who was willing to bump with the opposition. Pettersson's scoring pace remained steady through 1985 when Emile Francis, then the Whalers' GM, brought his former prospect over to Hartford. His stay was short, however, before he was dispatched to the Capitals for a final NHL stint of 55 games.

Pettersson then decided to return to his native Sweden where he rejoined the Swedish Elite League for four additional seasons before retiring in 1990-91.

And second, we are pleased to select a big, strong forward who can play any forward position. However, we are going to be playing him as our third line center with Mark Osborne, hoping to reunite some of that chemistry they had as the GEM line with the Maple Leafs, from Chicago, Illinois...

Ed Olczyk
eddieolczyk.jpg

Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Centre Ed Olczyk played over 1000 NHL games for seven different clubs. He was gifted playmaker with speed and a quick release. He was also solid on his skates and not easy to bump off the puck. His big league career was one of the most productive ever by an American player.

The Chicago Blackhawks traded up at the 1984 NHL Entry Draft to choose their native son third overall. He scored 20 goals as a rookie playing with xxxx xxxxxx and Curt Fraser and became a crowd favourite. He scored 79 points in his second year while playing in a number of different situations. In the mid 1980s the young forward was a regular on Team USA at the World Championships, playing at the 1985, 1986, 1987, and 1989 tournaments and suiting up for the Americans at the 1987 Canada Cup.

Prior to the 1987-88 season, Olczyk was traded to the Toronto Maple Leafs along with Al Secord for Rick Vaive and Steve Thomas. Olczyk was an offensive force for the mediocre Leafs. He scored 42 goals that first year then helped Toronto reach .500 in 1980-90 by forming the explosive line with Mark Osborne and xxxx xxxxxx. When the team stumbled the next season, Olczyk and Osborne were sent to the Winnipeg Jets for Dave Ellett and xxxx xxxxxx. He scored well for Winnipeg and helped the U.S. reach the finals of the 1991 Canada Cup.

Olczyk next joined the New York Rangers and was an important team leader in the dressing room and off the ice. Olczyk was also on hand to witness the team's first Stanley Cup in 54 years in 1994. He returned to Winnipeg and scored 27 goals during the franchise's Canadian swan song in 1995-96. Olczyk joined the Pittsburgh Penguins for two seasons before returning to the Blackhawk organization in 1998-99. The hometown native played his final two years in Chicago before closing out his career following the 1999-2000 season.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Halifax selects 6'2, 190 lbs. two-way pivot Henrik Sedin, the 8+ year NHL pro whose 3-year peak from 2006-09 has been great: 4th, 4th and 8th in NHL assists, an Olympic Gold with 4 points in 8 games, an NHL all-star game and 10 points in 10 playoff games to lead his team into the second round of the playoffs.

article_23448_2.jpg

A playmaking center who combines excellent hockey sense and a physical game, Sedin has proven to be one of the more durable players
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=19288

Is extremely well rounded and more suited to the physical game than xxxxxx. Has strong defensive tendencies and playmaking ability.
http://forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/player.cgi?1917

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Toledo selects:
C Patrik Sundstrom

sundstrom250.jpg

Legends of Hockey:
The 1981-82 season saw Sundstrom play in Sweden where he was named the Swedish player of the year as well as representing Tre Kronor in the Canada Cup and World Championships. He made his NHL debut in the 1982-83 season with the Canucks where he played for five seasons.

In 1987, Sundstrom was traded to the Devils where he stayed for the remainder of his career. Sundstrom was a part of the 1987-88 team that made a run for Lord Stanley's Cup, but the Boston Bruins who took the series in the seventh and deciding game stopped the team in the conference finals. Sundstrom retired from the game at the end of the 1991-92 season.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Regina selects:

D Bruce Driver - a cup winner with 10 30-point seasons, including 3 with 50+. Great playoff numbers, too.

C/RW Jimmy Herberts - a short NHL career from age 27 to 32. He played in the deadest of dead puck eras and managed 114 points in 206 games. Top-15 in goals 4 times. Also a decent playmaker. 7th in Hart voting in both 1925 and 1926!

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Toledo selects
RW Ray Sheppard

image.php

5th Goals 1994
3rd Goals 1995

Legends of Hockey:
Sheppard began his NHL career in the 1987-88 season in Buffalo, where he played three seasons. His first season saw him collect 65 points and earn NHL all-rookie team honours. The Sabres traded him to the New York Rangers in 1990 where he played just one season before signing as a free agent with the Detroit Red Wings. It was in "Hockey Town" where he enjoyed his most success. During the 1993-94 season, he had career highs in goals (52), assists (41), and points (93), in 82 games.

Sheppard was on the move once again in 1995 when the Red Wings traded him to the San Jose Sharks for Igor Larionov. During the same season, he was traded once again as the Sharks sent him to the Florida Panthers, a team looking to bolster its offence for their first playoff appearance in club history. With Sheppard's help, the Panthers make it to the Stanley Cup finals against the Colorado Avalanche, only to be swept in four straight games.

Sheppard stayed in Florida for the next few seasons before being traded to the Carolina Hurricanes for the 1998-99 season. He later headed back to the Panthers for the last two seasons and retired in 2001 with 657 career points.

Buffalo Sabres Legends:
Using his nose for the net and his spectacular shooting skills, Ray went on to an explosive career that included 357 goals and 657 points in 817 NHL games. He definitely made up for his shortcomings. He may not have been the speediest player but he managed to get himself open for scoring opportunities. And he may not have initiated a lot of physical contact, but to spend as much time as he did among the dangerous NHL slots and creases proved he was more than willing to take the physical punishment to do what he did best - score goals.

Ray became a free agent after that 1990-91 season, and he opted to sign on with the Detroit Red Wings. For parts of 5 seasons Ray starred along side the likes of Steve Yzerman. He never scored less than 30 goals, even in the lockout shortened season of 1994-95 when he played in just 43 games of the 48 game schedule. The previous year, 1993-94, Ray had his best professional season, scoring 52 goals and 93 points.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
I liked the Stoltz-Björn pairing last time already, and still do. Key defensemen on two world championship winning teams. They probably deserve more than 3rd pairing minutes.
Certainly do...but with how deep my defense is..time will tell whether they will get it.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Im going to be away from tonight till Monday and dont really have a list to send so I will just make all my picks when I get back and update my bio's.

LW: Tony Tanti
RW: Mark Napier

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
While I think this is an idea worth consideration, everything mandatory related to the draft makes it less approachable to newbies. I understand that it's quite easy for you to comment the picks because you know pretty much every player worth drafting (I guess?). I think the AAA draft should be the kind of draft where newbies (like myself) can try their wings without too much pressure and commitments.

So yes, I like the idea, but keep the draft as approachable as possible.

So let's lure people into the draft first, then put this responsibility on them! :naughty:

Seriously though, if I didn't know much about a player, I'd have to research him just a bit first (or at least check out what was posted about him). I would imagine so would others. It would be a nice way to facilitate more research... I hope...

by the way, I do know at least a little about most players worth drafting. Mostly from these things. The players I'm really an expert on, are the ones I've either had on my team or had a playoff series against. Knowing everything about all players, that's the ultimate goal!

I liked the Stoltz-Björn pairing last time already, and still do. Key defensemen on two world championship winning teams. They probably deserve more than 3rd pairing minutes.

You are probably right.

Those were two of spitfire's better picks on a rather underappreciated team last AAA. I look back at last draft's standings and I see it as a case of "someone had to be 8th and 9th."

Halifax selects 6'1, 190 lbs. defenseman Gord Lane, an all-time great playoff warrior of the stay home and hit, defend your teammates and when needed rough things up kind of hockey that helped facilitate a dynasty in a tough era. His regular season career production is almost beside the point: He had 133 NHL points and 1228 PIM in 539 NHL career games.

lanegord1n.jpg

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=13295

1980 Stanley Cup championship: 85 PIM in 21 playoff games with 4 points.
1981 Stanley Cup championship: 32 PIM in 12 playoff games with 6 points.
1982 Stanley Cup championship: 61 PIM in 19 playoff games with 4 points.
1983 Stanley Cup championship: 32 PIM in 18 playoff games with 3 points.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gord_Lane

So you like Lane now, eh? I must admit, I find it hard to determine just how great he was. That is a good quote, for sure. On the other hand, he couldn't ever play a full season on that deep defense. His career adjusted +/- is -48, but on the other hand, that is compared to some pretty good NYI teammates.

Toledo selects:
LW Patrik Sundstrom

It's about time someone else took this guy! I think he's a great player. He had size, offensive ability (never top-20 in anything but had six 66+ point seasons) and defensive ability too.

He's mostly a center, not LW, but he can play LW and I have always used him there out of convenience.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
So you like Lane now, eh? I must admit, I find it hard to determine just how great he was.
His playoff numbers through the dynasty speak for itself: he was constantly thrown out on the ice on a dynasty team that kept winning. His coach thought he was important to the championship run and each and every of the four Stanley Cup playoff successes he was out there battling game after game. He will of course be a part time player in regular season contests, brought out against the bigger, rougher teams (e.g., Ottawa Silver7, any 30s team, 70s Flyers, 80s Blackhawks, 00s Ducks). Add to that several great quotes and one sees that he had a valuable role to play: PLAYOFF WARRIOR of the hard checking, and protecting kind. He is an extra skater for the Eurekas in this draft, a 7th or 8th dman on a playoff-prepared all-time team. Hockey history will not or should not forget the players who helped make history, and he's one of them.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Carney? If I hadn't seen him play I might think him a good pick. He seemed so average. When it comes to defensive defensemen there are a couple of his contemporaries who were exceptional, who stood out. Of course, it is entirely possible that a defensive defenseman can be overlooked, especially if not a big hitter, fighter or crease clearer. Stats are certainly not the best indicator of their value, but they're something.

Tanti, Sheppard, Driver were just a matter of time. All good value at this point, all on Eurekas shortlists and were expected to head to Dawson City training camp if kept falling.

Randy Burridge
:doh:

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Enjoy your weekend guys but be prepared to do some work next week!!

The Schedule of Events

Notice the importance of everyone's participation on the last day of the draft and the first two days thereafter:

Day 12: is the day to: 1) every team issue one and only one "Challenge" at the very same time as announcing picks this day; 2) every team submit via PM a list of 10 invitees to Dawson City training camp; 3) update one's roster post including captain, two alternate captains and two pp and two pk units.

Day 13 is the day to: 1) submit category rankings; 2) accept or reject challenge; 3) contribute to Dawson City training camp discussion as this day the composite list will be released and competition for jobs will begin.

Day 14 is the day to: 1) have announced the MVP and category winners; 2) decide together the line-up for Dawson City; 3) officially begin AAA11 playoffs (continuing challenge process where necessary).

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Randy Burridge

:doh:

Well, I agree, BUT, I think he's about as good as a certain modern German you mentioned in the "arguably top-1000" thread. Same type of players, similar career totals after adjusting for era, similar best four seasons, both snuck into one all-star game.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
D Bruce Driver

img1.jpg

-6'0", 185 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1995)
- 3 50+ point seasons - 13th, 17th, 19th among defensemen (1988, 1990, 1993)
- 10 30+ point seasons
- 8th, 12th, 12th in playoff scoring among defensemen (1988, 1994, 1996)
- Also killed a lot of penalties - 318 PPGA in 922 GP
- 17th-highest scoring defenseman from 1985-1998 - the top-22 have all been selected.
- 12th-highest scoring defenseman in the playoffs from 1988-1997 - top-24 have all been selected
- +/- Leader of cup-winning Devils

nhlalumni.net said:
There haven't been too many sixth-round draft picks who play over 900 games in the NHL, but Driver, selected 108th overall in 1981 by the Colorado Rockies, defied the odds and suited up for 922 regular season games over a 15-year professional career.

Far from the biggest or most physical player on the ice, Driver's playmaking abilities, fluid skating stride and smart decision-making skills made him a valuable asset on the blueline.

Those abilities took him to the University of Wisconsin, the 1984 Winter Olympics and to the 1995 Stanley Cup with the New Jersey Devils, the first championship for Driver and the franchise.

Players: The Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Ever Played In the NHL said:
A good, solid defenseman

njdpitchfork.com said:
It's not to take away from his defensive responsibilities, though. He knew how to play positional defense, and he was an excellent pokechecker.

So when it came time to choose a new captain due to Kirk Muller's trade to the Canadiens, Driver would win out due to the leadership capabilities he exhibited. And I'm sure it wasn't an easy choice, considering who was on the 1991-92 team. Lot of capable leaders even back then.

NY Times said:
Bruce Driver has been a reliable defenseman for the Devils for seven years... Driver is at his best when he does what comes naturally, which is play almost flawlessly near his goal and use his offensive talents at the other end of the rink...

"I never realized how good Bruce is until I got here," said Robbie Ftorek, who is in his first year as the assistant with the Devils after playing for the Rangers and coaching the Kings. "I watch how he does everything so well, only now I've come to appreciate his talents."

No one appreciates Driver's talents these days more than Ken Daneyko, who has been his partner on defense from the first game of this season and a great deal of time in the past. "Bruce always seems to make the right play, the right decision," Daneyko said. "He makes it easier for the players around him. He sure makes things easier for me."

Pro Hockey Play By Play said:
He's been steady for a long time.

Very talented, versatile defenseman who is coming off another fine season... is a real club leader. If he could get his shot on net more, he could probably get 80 points a year.

One reason New Jersey failed to make the playoffs was its strident refusal to re-sign Driver, a huge part of the heart and soul of the team. He was solid for the Rangers, as you'd expect.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
C/RW Jimmy Herberts

admin_content_retriever-6.jpg

- 5'10, 185 lbs
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1927)
- Top-15 in goals 4 times (3rd, 9th, 13th, 14th)
- Top-15 in assists 3 times (5th, 11th, 14th)
- Top-16 in points 4 times (3rd, 10th, 13th, 16th)
- 7th in Hart voting twice! (1925, 1926)
- 3rd in goals, 5th in points in 1927 playoffs

loh.net said:
Jimmy Herberts, who earned his nickname by spending summers as a deckhand on the Great Lakes, began his NHL career with the Boston Bruins in1924. His rookie season he had 24 points in 30 games. He followed that up in 1925-26 with 26 goals and five assists for a 31-point, 36-game season, the third highest scoring total in the NHL.

Herberts played for the Bruins until he was traded to Toronto in December 1927. At the end of the season, he was traded to Detroit, where he played the next two seasons

NY Times said:
Jimmy Herberts slashed Burch and was sent off. Herberts came back and clashed with Simpson, and the boys staged a short but vigorous bout until parted by the referee and other players.

NY Times said:
Jimmy Herberts made a brilliant assault on the New York net...

Herberts was definitely a star for Boston in the 1927 playoffs:

NY Times said:
Herberts was brilliant tonight for Boston...

Boston sent Herberts through on some lurid rushes that came within inches of counting for the Back bay sextet.

NY Times said:
BATTERED BRUINS GET BONUS CHECKS: President Adams distributes $10,000 among his players on basis of merit.

...Percy Galbraith, wingman, was adjudged the most valuable player and received $1600. Lionel Hitchman, defenseman, whose bout with Georges Boucher caused considerable comment, got a bonus of $1400. Captain Sprague Cleghorn, wingman Harry Oliver, Jimmy Herberts, center, and defenseman Eddie Shore each got $1000.

(******* got $850, Fredrickson got $750, Coutu got $700, ***** got $500, Billy Boucher got $300, ******* got $250.)

Herberts appears to have been gritty, with 253 PIM in 206 NHL games. That's in the same per-game range of guys like Frank Finnigan, Bun Cook, Hec Kilrea, Bill Cook, and Taffy Abel during those seasons.

Check this out:

Boston's team summary from 1925:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/1925.html

No wonder he got Hart votes! he had over 3X as many goals, 2X as many assists, and 3X as many points as any other Bruin, AND he led the team in PIM!

The next year wasn't much different, aside from Carson Cooper coming into his own. The two had 31 points each; with the next-best Bruin having 11. This was a 17-15-4 team!

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/1926.html

In his three full seasons with the Bruins, look at how Herberts compared to the rest of the team!

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

Last edited:

Triffy

Jun 23, 2006
Helsinki
230px-Rod-Flett-1901.jpg

D Rod Flett
"Flett and [a goalie] were simply impregnable,
and it is freely admitted in Montreal that their equals have never been seen." (1896)

Flett was a member of three Stanley Cup winning teams (1896, 1901, 1902). And remember, the teams consisted of something like 8 players at the time, meaning his total contribution to winning was more than a regular player's impact these days.

"Rod Flett was a superb athlete who played baseball, football, and lacrosse with skill. A quick stickhandler, he was Winnipeg's cover point, even though the 23 year old had been playing hockey for only four years." - Source (Originally from the Manitoba Free Press, Febuary 15, 1896)

Even though he is said to have been a cover point on the article, he is known as a point pretty much everywhere. And it looks like he was a regular player at least two times on the Cup winning teams he was a part of, meaning he was the defensive presence of those teams.

Flett also scored the first recorded goal by a defenseman in the history of the Stanley Cup challenger series. (Source)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Well, I agree, BUT, I think he's about as good as a certain modern German you mentioned in the "arguably top-1000" thread. Same type of players, similar career totals after adjusting for era, similar best four seasons, both snuck into one all-star game.
Statistically they may be the similar, but Burridge won more team individual hardware (awards, trophy) and way better playoff scoring because he made a huge impact everywhere: he is like the other guy times two! faster, harder hitting, way more of a presence on the ice... seriously there's no one in the NHL like him today, maybe Alfredsson on a chippy day, Deadmarsh of the past, much like Kisio, seriously I am kicking myself for having forgotten about him all these drafts. There's no way he drops out of the MLD anymore. I'm sure I can dig up tons of accolades on his play. He was highly respected and played hockey the way it was meant to be played! a fantastic third liner in this draft imo. It's not everyday that I'm stunned by a pick.

Unfortunately youtube only has fights of his, but they're not really fights, more drawn penalties as he gets under the skin of opponents with his rough checking:

Chris Chelios takes several swings as they dance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hroChRcilfc
Patrick Roy hits him in irritation and they start to go at it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMzMp0Hpe6w
Scott Stevens drops his gloves to brawl and Burridge ties him up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE-5TYeHx9w

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
LW Dan Maloney

danmaloney.jpg

The classic "team guy" that any team needs in order to win.

- 6'2", 195 lbs
- 7 seasons with 17+ goals
- 192 goals, 451 points, 1489 PIMs in 737 games
- Career adjusted +60!
- 115 NHL fights, his fight card includes multiple bouts against many heavyweights (O'Reilly, Williams, Plett, Harper, Green, Fleming, and many other good ones I can't name)

Joe Pelletier said:
This Irishman may have been quiet and soft-spoken off the ice but on the ice he was anything but. Dan Maloney was a charismatic leader who always stuck up for his teammates. As a result he was he was always popular in the dressing room wherever he played.

The Chicago Black Hawks liked Dan's rugged play and claimed him in the 1970 amateur draft (1st choice,14th overall). Dan quickly established himself as one of the leagues premier pugilists. He won some memorable fights as a rookie, but he also contributed offensively. Over the years Dan fought the toughest players and won many of his fights, even though a serious shoulder injury slowed him down a bit in later years. He was never afraid to drop 'em. His fearless attitude was his greatest ally in the NHL trenches.

"Losing Maloney was a big blow to what we were trying to accomplish in LA. He was our leader, a much respected player," Pulford said.

In his first season with the Red Wings Dan equaled his career high 66 points. In Detroit he quickly became GM Ted Lindsay's favorite player and became the team captain. Lindsay, who himself was one of the toughest players of his era, appreciated Dan's similar style of play.

Not only Dan was excited to land in Toronto, Leafs GM Jim Gregory said. " A big need on our team was a tough, aggressive left winger and no one filled the bill better than Maloney."

Bruins coach Don Cherry, a noted expert on hockey's tough guys, was envious.

"At the time the trade was made, I said that it was a good one for the Leafs. They picked up a good, tough, experienced winger who fitted (sic) right in with what the team was trying to do."

Dan was certainly no speed demon on his skates, but he worked very hard to improve his skating. He lacked the natural scorer's touch around the net and had to work hard for everything he accomplished. His strength wasn't only his right and left fists but also his overall work ethic and leadership qualities. Dan was a really good cornerman and stood his ground around the enemy net.

Dan Maloney said:
"I never counted the number of fights I've been in or how many I won or lost. It doesn't matter how many fights you win, anyway. It's how many times you show up for them that counts."

March 23rd said:
Best Fighter - Dan Maloney (runners-up J. Bob Kelly, Garry Howatt, Dave Schultz, Bob Kelly)

February 21st said:
Best Fighter - Dan Maloney (runners-up Larry Robinson, J. Bob Kelly, Dave Schultz)

February 17th said:
Best Bodychecker - Denis Potvin (runners-up Dan Maloney, Bob Gainey, Terry O'Reilly)

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
D Bill Brydge

admin_content_retriever-10.jpg

Offense, defense, physical play, backed up with All-star votes, just not quite enough to make the 2nd team. What more can you ask for at this level?

- 5'9", 195 lbs
- Allan Cup (1925, 1926)
- "3rd" Team NHL All-Star (1933)
- 4th, 6th, 10th in points by defensemen (1932, 1933, 1934)
- 10th- highest scoring D-man throughout his career (northcott is not a defenseman) - everyone else in the top-17 on this list is picked

loh.net said:
Bill Brydge was a stocky defenceman who played the body but could also move the puck up ice effectively. Most of his nine-year career was spent on the New York Americans' defensive brigade in the 1920s and '30s.

Born in Renfrew, Ontario, Brydge excelled in the NOHA with Iroquois Falls Paper for two years before joining the senior Port Arthur Bearcats in 1923-24. He spent three years on the club and helped it win consecutive Allan Cups in 1925 and 1926. In 1926-27, Brydge played 41 games in the NHL for Toronto the first year the franchise was known as the Maple Leafs.

Brydge spent the 1927-28 season in the Can Pro League with the Detroit Olympics then played most of the next season in the Motor City with the NHL's Cougars. In November 1929, the solid defender was traded to the New York Americans for $5,000. Brydge found a home in the "red, white and blue" and was a fixture on the club's defence for six and a half years. His steady play was one of the few bright lights for a franchise that was a perennial outsider when the playoffs began. Brydge retired after playing 21 games for New York in 1935-36.

Players: the Ultimate A-Z Guide Of Everyone Who Has Played in the NHL said:
Feared for his open-ice body checks

Brydge was often a standout player:

NY Times said:
The greatly improved NY Americans, aided by the sensational defensive play of their goalie, Roy Worters, and Bill Brydge, tonight topped the Boston Bruins, 2-1.

Brydge's poke-checking aided Worters considerably.

NY Times said:
Not until Red Dutton and Bill Brydge, the Americans' star defensemen, were penalized, did the Flying Frenchmen display any concentrated aggressiveness.

Bill brydge's all-around play was one of the features of the battle.

NY Times said:
One man not to be overlooked is Bill Brydge, the redoubtable defenseman, who came in for his share of glory when he tallied New York's second counter.

NY Times said:
AMERICANS DOWN TORONTO SIX, 3-1 - Brydge Is Pace Setter: Led by the sturdy Bill Brydge, who figured twice in the scoring, the spangled stick wielders rarely hesitated to carry the play to the Leafs when the occasion presented, nor did they show any signs of becoming disorganized when the visitors trained a heavy fire upon their cage...

NY Times said:
Early in the battle, the visitors had the edge, crossing New York's line frequently and sending many hard shots toward the cage. But Red Dutton and Bill Brydge were extremely vigilant and covered many of the Leafs' sizzling shots.

NY Times said:
The bulk of the Spangled Sextet's defense was borne by Bill Brydge, who interrupted numerous Ottawa charges and who also took part in many of the Americans' charges.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Michigan drafts Donald Brashear.

brashear.jpg

204 points in 989 games
2561 PIM

In 2002–03, he was awarded the Pelle Lindbergh Memorial, an annual trophy given to the Flyers most improved player. He played a large role in instigating a brawl in a game between the Flyers and Ottawa Senators on March 5, 2004 which was the most penalized game in NHL history, with Brashear getting the most penalty minutes of any player involved.

Brashear agreed to a free-agent contract with the New York Rangers on July 1, 2009 to fill their need of an enforcer after Colton Orr signed with the Toronto Maple Leafs. After the altercation with the Rangers in the previous post season, Glen Sather was asked why he chose to sign Brashear. He said, "Donald is a great player and we need a guy to fill the tough role. He is a tough guy and the man we need. He certainly will be the man his teammates can go to and I have no doubts in my mind his new teammates will accept him."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad