The All-Star Game should have spots reserved to veterans

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
Just like they do with rookies. I think this is such a lack of respect not to have players like Jagr, Thornton, Iginla, St. Louis, etc.

These players are REAL STARS.

Radim Vrbata is not a NHL star.
Tyler Johnson is not a NHL star.
Nick Foligno is not a NHL star.

I AM MAD.

Ok what about having three categories of players :

1) Regular All-Star (42 spots reserved)
Would be reserved mainly for established stars over 25 years old except for young players that would have been invited to the All-Star Game in previous years.

2) Rookies and up-and-coming young stars (12 spots reserved)
For rookies and young stars of less than 25 years old. Tyler Johnson would enter in this category since he's having a pretty good year. He would then be eligible to be in the main group for the next year.

3) Veterans (12 spots reserved)
Nothing else to add.

Basically we could divide the All-Star Event in :

1) All-Star Skills Competition
2) All-Star Rookies Vs All-Star Veterans Game
3) Main All-Star Game

Do you like my idea? :)

And one last thing. Pure defensive defensemen should not go to the All-Star Game. These players are not fun to watch, not as much as players like Subban or Karlsson. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
You are ridiculous. I would expect more ridicule to follow if I were you.

The all-star game is really representative of the season in which the game is being played. Not a "you've had a sweet career, congrats, come play". Tyler Johnson especially has had an astounding season so far, and that deserves recognition. Especially since he may not win any other major awards this season.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
You are ridiculous. I would expect more ridicule to follow if I were you.

The all-star game is really representative of the season in which the game is being played. Not a "you've had a sweet career, congrats, come play".

That totally explains why Fleury, Subban, Karlsson,etc. weren't invited but Howard, Faulk and Johnson were... Makes soooooo much sense :facepalm:

OP is right IMO, it was pretty much the case in the 80's and early 90's.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
While I could definitely find players I think are more deserving than Vrbata, both Foligno and Johnson definitely deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Just like they do with rookies. I think this is such a lack of respect not to have players like Jagr, Thornton, Iginla, St. Louis, etc.

I AM MAD.

And one last thing. Pure defensive defensemen should not go to the All-Star Game. These players are not fun to watch, not as much as players like Subban or Karlsson. Just my opinion.

All Star games played each year are fro those that at All Stars THAT season.

Tyler Johnson is the teams leading scorer on the 6th best team in the league. THIS YEAR, he is absolutely an All-Star.

Columbus may be out of the PO picture thanks in large part to the massive amounts of man games lost to injury to key players, but he's been a key reason they are not last overall. One of only 5 players on that team (1 of 3 with 20+ games played) with a + rating. ABSOLUTE ALL STAR

I can see the argument for Vrbata not making the team. Brassard has more points in just as many games and he's not in.

The All-Star game is not for what players did last year or the year before. It's for what the players are doing THIS season. That's all that matters.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
MOD
Who cares about the all star game? The veterans are probably elated that they get to skip an event like this.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006

I AM MAD.

You do realize Tyler Johnson is 9th in league scoring and that Nick Foligno is scoring at a PPG pace this year? The ASG is not about reputation, it's about who are the bests this year, while having at least one player from each team.

As for your defensive defencemen idea, it's ridiculous. If they're the bests, they deserve to be there, that's it.

Also, you do realize rookies are usually only there for the skills competition right?

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
While I could definitely find players I think are more deserving than Vrbata, both Foligno and Johnson definitely deserve it.

Silly thread is silly.

Just so I'm perfectly clear, I'm talking about Erik Johnson not Tyler ;)

As far as Foligno is concerned, he's having a season that's WAY above expectations but I think he's there by default simply because Columbus is hosting. Let's just say that I don't think he can hold a true all star's jock, especially when it comes to skills competitions.

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
MOD
Who cares about the all star game? The veterans are probably elated that they get to skip an event like this.

I do care about it. It's a fun event where all the hockey fans from every team are having fun together without fighting, etc.

Strik_IX

No excuses!
Jun 11, 2007
Montréal
You do realize Tyler Johnson is 9th in league scoring and that Nick Foligno is scoring at a PPG pace this year? The ASG is not about reputation, it's about who are the bests this year, while having at least one player from each team.

As for your defensive defencemen idea, it's ridiculous. If they're the bests, they deserve to be there, that's it.

Also, you do realize rookies are usually only there for the skills competition right?

That's the biggest failure of the ASG IMO, it should be best on best, no need for this coddling BS.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
The veterans you mentioned have been to plenty to All-Star games. If they aren't having a good year then they shouldn't make it. I don't agree with some of the names that made it, having a every team represented is dumb, but just because you are a veteran with a great career doesn't make it automatic that you should go. Should someone like Brodeur make it? Absolutely not.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
Yeah I will also concede that requiring one play from each team definitely muddles the water a little bit.

In response to Strik_ix-- I would say Howard shouldn't have been nominated based solely upon his SO stats. They're strocious. However Howard has been great in regulation and overtime so I can't say it's completely unwarranted.

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
The veterans you mentioned have been to plenty to All-Star games. If they aren't having a good year then they shouldn't make it. I don't agree with some of the names that made it, having a every team represented is dumb, but just because you are a veteran with a great career doesn't make it automatic that you should go. Should someone like Brodeur make it? Absolutely not.

Should one of the best goalies of all time go to the All-Star game (probably the last until he retires)? Obviously! Same thing with Jagr.

I don't care what kind of season Tyler Johnson is having right now. The real hockey fans want to see LEGENDS of the ice.

AstroDan

Stars, cars, guitars
Jan 29, 2009
NorCal
Should one of the best goalies of all time go to the All-Star game (probably the last until he retires)? Obviously! Same thing with Jagr.

I don't care what kind of season Tyler Johnson is having right now. The real hockey fans want to see LEGENDS of the ice.

Yes

All STAR Game

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013

You are fundamentally misunderstanding the purpose of the all star game.

Besides who's to say Tyler Johnson won't turn out to be another "legend", and this could be the first of many all-star games? With your idea it'd take extraordinary measure to displace some of the "legends" for up and coming stars. It'd be just another old-boys club and would serve even less purpose than it does now.

JoeyBeans

Jan 5, 2013
Halifax
Call me when he's over 1 PPG.

Your just picking stats.

I understand you love the all star game. But most people do not care, only fans.

And the NHL loves to roll around in money.

Fans pay money = happy NHL.

tumblr_lox02eaI2C1r0wgiuo1_400.gif

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I AM MAD.

It would show a lack of respect to invite players based on name recognition rather then merit. Tyler Johnson is most definitely an All Star, he belongs there before our big name player Stamkos. Your post is typical of HF, you care more about the players name or draft position rather then actual talent.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
Call me when he's over 1 PPG.

So, Imagine it's 1992. Who would you rather see in the all-star game? Bryan Trottier or Jaromir Jagr? By your logic the young upstart Jagr should never go ahead of legendary Trottier. Frankly you sound like a curmudgeon. Johnson is a better player at this point. Get with the times.

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
It's just a name for the event. Should it be re-named "Event Where Best Players of Season Come to Play an Exhibiton Game"?

Hazu*

Sep 25, 2011
I can't check stats right now but I know 2 of the 4 skaters you originally listed are under a ppg right. You're a joke.

That's because they are old so their production decreased with the time. Tyler Johnson is young and is far from being over 1 PPG.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad