Prospect Info: The all-encompassing WJC talk thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Thought it might be a good idea to get a WJC thread going this year for any talk on the Oilers prospects playing as well as just general musings from the games and tournament as a whole.

:edmonton prospects participating:

Canada
RD Evan Bouchard, London Knights (OHL)

USA
RD Philip Kemp, Yale University (NCAA)

Russia
LD Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Tournament schedule, December 31st
Denmark - Czech Republic - 13:00 PST
Sweden - Kazakhstan - 15:30 PST
Russia vs. Canada - 17:00 PST
USA - Finland - 19:30 PST

It is my intention to keep the thread/OP updated as the tournament goes on.

Discuss :)

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Was Nurse the last player we had who represented Canada? Or am I missing someone?

Either way, I hope Bouchard kills it this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I've already read some people crapping on Bouchard's defensive play in the pre-tournament games. If he happens to have a rough tournament just remember how bad Dumba's tournament was and how solid of a player he is now.

Reactions: MikeFLB and thadd

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
@Zaddy this is supremely lazy but I know you're following him still like me - is Boqvist on team Sweden?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
@Zaddy this is supremely lazy but I know you're following him still like me - is Boqvist on team Sweden?

Yes he is. Will probably play a bigger role than originally thought as Liljegren is out with an injury. But I think it's still important to remember that he's a '00 birthdate and this is a '99 tournament. I think Erik Brännström will be the leading D for Sweden in this tournament.

Reactions: Aerrol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I've already read some people crapping on Bouchard's defensive play in the pre-tournament games. If he happens to have a rough tournament just remember how bad Dumba's tournament was and how solid of a player he is now.

Meh, tons of people were crapping on him because of one poor game he played in the middle of the summer. Bouchard is a boss, we all know it.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

It’s mostly a couple Canucks fans and one Leaf fan.

It’s pretty unanimous that he’s been Canada’s best D man.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It’s mostly a couple Canucks fans and one Leaf fan.

It’s pretty unanimous that he’s been Canada’s best D man.

Imagine if we drafted Dobson, the hate that poor kid would be getting on the mains would be legendary. I hope that Bouch has an elite WJC's , but if he doesn't it's not the end of the world.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Kemp getting slept on here too. Be excited for Kemp on a solid American team this year.

Another player to keep an eye on is Valeri Orekhov of Kazakhstan. 19 year old defenceman playing in the KHL.

Reactions: nabob

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It's okay, everyone on their dog is shitting on Dobson, some people think he should be sitting already, haven't heard that about Bouchard yet.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
It's okay, everyone on their dog is ****ting on Dobson, some people think he should be sitting already, haven't heard that about Bouchard yet.
Yeah, but he's one minor mistake in a 10-1 lead against Denmark from that changing quickly. Oilers prospect with small slip-up in international tournament? BUST, generational bust.

Yeah15

2nd Tier Fan
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2007
Kazakhstan's first time back since the Jordan Eberle tournament in Ottawa in 2009. They went 4 GF, 69 GA during the round-robin and relegation rounds, even losing to Germany 9-0 and Latvia 7-1. Hopefully they've improved a bit since that tournament.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Thought it might be a good idea to get a WJC thread going this year for any talk on the Oilers prospects playing as well as just general musings from the games and tournament as a whole.

:edmonton prospects participating:

Canada
RD Evan Bouchard, London Knights (OHL)

USA
RD Philip Kemp, Yale University (NCAA)

Russia
LD Dmitri Samorukov, Guelph Storm (OHL)

Games start on boxing day with the following matchups.

Tournament schedule, December 26th
Czech Republic vs. Switzerland - 13:00 PST
USA vs. Slovakia - 15:30 PST
Canada vs. Denmark - 17:00 PST
Finland vs. Sweden - 19:30 PST

It is my intention to keep the thread/OP updated as the tournament goes on.

Discuss :)

Sure sounds like Dmitri Samorukov has stepped it up in junior this year. He didn't have the greatest camp this year in Edmonton but is stepping it up now. Another one I had high hopes for is Ostap Saifin but the injury bug has hit him in a bad way. I seen him play for Saint John last year in Halifax. He has size, plays off wing, and a great set off hands. He had a great camp 2 years ago but not so much this year. Sure looks like we have a Benson here with the injuries. Saifin's hip seems to be the problem. . Hope for the best. I'm really pulling for Samorukov. As we have found out, you can never have enough defence.

Dmitri Samorukov hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Ostap Safin hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I wouldn't even bother going over to the main board.

It's going to be full of people with confirmation bias who think Bouchard sucks defensively and will try their hardest to find, twist and point out anything that's close to showing that.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I wouldn't even bother going over to the main board.

It's going to be full of people with confirmation bias who think Bouchard sucks defensively and will try their hardest to find, twist and point out anything that's close to showing that.

I actually find it hilarious that these people will bend over backwards to find excuses for Dobson's poor play.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Samorukov named one of the alternates for Team Russia.
Also made Sam Cosentino's list of 3 players on each team to watch for. (along with Bouchard for Canada)

"RUSSIA

Klim Kostin: Was the fifth most utilized forward for Russia in 2018, yet still lead them with eight points and a plus-7 rating. The St. Louis Blues first-rounder has yet to taste the NHL, having spent the last year and a half with AHL San Antonio. Kostin has all the tools to be an impact player once again, and with a coach who prefers to lean on his 19-year-olds, ice time shouldn’t be an issue this time around. He’s got size, a physical edge to his game and is a better finisher than his 11 AHL goals suggest.
Dmitri Samorukov: The Guelph Storm stalwart plays a pro-style game. He’s big, strong, moves well for his size and is continuously working on his stick skills. A top defender with leadership capabilities, the Edmonton prospect will likely be a top four defender for coach Valery Bragin. Samorukov’s success won’t best be measured by goals and assists, but the intangibles he brings to the table.
Stepan Starkov: As consistent a two-way player as I’ve seen the Russians bring over for the CIBC Canada-Russia series. He accepts all tasks be it shot blocking, checking the opposition’s best line, or producing in a timely matter. Starkov lead all players with six points in the series and has had some success playing in the KHL this season."

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Today's games:

Czech Republic vs. Switzerland in Vancouver @ 2 PM - TSN 1, 4 & 5
United States (Phil Kemp) vs. Slovakia in Victoria @ 4:30 PM - TSN 2
Canada (Evan Bouchard) vs. Denmark in Vancouver @ 5:30 PM - TSN 1, 3, 4, 5
Finland vs. Sweden in Victoria @ 8:30 PM - TSN 3, 5

Reactions: Zaddy

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Looking forward to seeing what Kemp brings to the table at this age and of course how Bouchard does when the chips are down.

I've never been overly high on Samorukov but hopefully he proves me wrong.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Czechs beat the Swiss about 40 seconds into OT.

New OT rules for the WJC:

Preliminary round: same as NHL, 5 minutes 3 on 3 then shootout.

Quarter finals, semi finals and bronze medal game: 10 minutes 4 on 4, then shootout.

Gold medal game: 20 minutes 4 on 4 then shootout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad