Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Logan Mailloux is intriguing. Big RHD with some skills both defensively and offensively. Ranked mid-1st by HockeyProspect, and McKenzie had him at #45 in April. 17 seems a bit high, but he sees unlikely to be available at 50. Maybe an option for the Jets if they trade down in the 1st?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There are some Intriguing RD in this draft that seem to have pretty good upside but almost all have a hole or two in their games.

Morrow has a really unique set of skill but his defensive retrieval is pretty sluggish.

McArthur is elite in the offensive end but weak on defensive zone entry stops and doesn't move his feet enough in his end to escape pressure and breakout.

Ceulemans is a great skater and has good defensive and offensive skill but does he have the tool box.

Lots of Intriguing dmen.

Reactions: kellhunter

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
There are some Intriguing RD in this draft that seem to have pretty good upside but almost all have a hole or two in their games.

Morrow has a really unique set of skill but his defensive retrieval is pretty sluggish.

McArthur is elite in the offensive end but weak on defensive zone entry stops and doesn't move his feet enough in his end to escape pressure and breakout.

Ceulemans is a great skater and has good defensive and offensive skill but does he have the tool box.

Lots of Intriguing dmen.
I think we end up moving our 1st to protect Stanley - we have three top LHD prospects ready for the NHL and two solid RHD assuming Pionk re-signs.

Try 50th and Beaulieu... I'd go as high as 17th and Beaulieu for 35th pick - but I'd make that deal only because this year is a total crapshoot in terms of prospect rankings

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Another player who would be a good fit for us is Xavier Bourgault. He is a very nice skater with very good puck skills and a nice shot. He shows a decent amount of poise with the puck and goes to the front of the net and is hard on the forecheck and cycle. He definitely reminds me a lot of Travis Konecny and we could use a RW like that.

Reactions: Whileee

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Although I think "best available" is the right strategy, all else being equal I think the Jets could use more RHD and talented R forwards in the pipeline. They have depth at LHD, and after acquiring PLD and drafting Perfetti and Gustafsson, they are strong at C. But with Wheeler aging, the Jets could use a top 6 RW who can add offense and drive play.

Stankoven might be fine, but Coronato or Bourgault might be better all around. Coronato sounds a bit like a Gallagher type, and the Jets could use a forward or two that has the skill and instinct to get to scoring areas and finish.

I'm warming up to Bourgault. I really like a lot of elements to his game, he goes to the hard areas and protects the puck really well. He isn't crush everything that moves player but he is pretty tenacious and when you add his hands, poise and shot to the equation you potentially have a pretty diverse top 6 player.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well, L'Heureux is a real agitator, but has a reputation for going over the line. He had 4 suspensions in one season in the QMJHL, including one for spitting in the face of an opponent. To be honest, I'm not all that enthusiastic about bringing in a player with a screw loose, or two.

Yeah, he seems like too lose of a cannon.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I am big fan of Vincent Iorio from Brandon in the 2nd round, really big fan if we could get him in the third. He is kind of a poor man's version of Braden Schnieder. Really solid two way guy with good size. Shuts down the opposing team and moves the puck really well. A modern day D man

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm pretty encouraged about the player we're going to get at 17 and 50. For all the complaints about the talent, can see some good outcomes in the mocks/projections. Will be more fallers than usual too.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Here is my weekly 'Why the Jets need to absolutely take Logan Stankoven' post, haha. Honestly, I'm even more convinced than ever now.

For those that believe in the Will Scouch (Scouching) view of analytics, he has him ranked in a cohort ranked between 12-16. Moreso, he's been placed in a group with McTavish, Svechkov, Rosen and Sillinger. In fact, HE'S amongst the HIGHEST ranked in: offensive threats created, completing dangerous passes, dangerous shot attempts. This is his write up from Scouching in June 2021:

• I absolutely adore watching Logan Stankoven. His WHL data I tracked was staggeringly good in the offensive direction, and at times even defensively. He's an exceptionally hard worker who can chain together tremendous offensive shifts and absolutely smash his enemies into the ground. I mean, the guy is #1 in offensive threat, completing dangerous passes, creating or taking shot attempts for his team, #2 in DSAT%, DSAT/60, and top 10 in the percentage of his team's shot attempts that are taken by Stankoven from danger, controlling offensive transitions, and the percentage of his passes that are dangerous. He's one of the rare players that you know exactly what you're getting every time he steps on the ice, and he will absolutely be a player that makes bigger players think twice about underrating his tenacity, strength and work rate. I could write all day about him and still have more to say, and I think he absolutely belongs as high on my list as he is here.
A recent tweet from Will Scouch: 'One game sample but hahaha logan stankoven had himself a night'

Another new nugget I found on Stankoven: In 2019/2020 season, 22 of his 29 goals were even strength despite only being 16 years old for the majority of his rookie WHL season. This is staggering. For comparison, his older and 1st round drafted teammate (Connor Zary) had 20 even strength goals as an 18 year old that same year.

Just yesterday, AMScouting released their '5 random games, all puck touches' on Logan Stankoven. They remove all bias. They simply compile every puck touch from a random 5 game randomized sample.

Check this out: If vision is our concern, I see many clever passes. Lots of lookoffs, misdirection, etc. Love his pace. Love the tenacity. To me, I SEE MUCH MORE BRAD MARCHAND (aside from the shinanagans) in his game than I see Braydin Point. I feel this 'every puck touch' compilation is a much better visual of what he actually is as a player.

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
Another new fact I learned about Logan Stankoven:

For the 2019/2020 WHL season, only 18 players scored 20 or more Even Strength goals. 14 of them were Draft +1 (19 years old). 3 of them were in their draft year (18 years old). Stankoven was the ONLY *under-aged* on the list, which included top 10 prospect Dylan Guenther.

As a matter of fact, Stankoven has played vs Guenther since they've been 10 years old and he's yet to be outscored.

Brick Invitational 10 year old Tournament:
Stankoven - 5 goals BC Jr Canucks
Guenther - 2 goals - Alberta Jr Oilers

CSSHL U15
Stankoven - 57 goals
Guenther - 56 goals

U18 AAA
Stankoven - 49 goals
Guenther - 32 goals
* They were in separate leagues

WHL 2019/2020
Stankoven - 29 goals
Guenther - 26 goals

WHL 2021
Stankoven - 7 goals (only 6 games played)
Guenther - 12 goals (12 games played)

Team Canada U18
Stankoven - 4 goals
Guenther - 4 goals

I know you must be sick of me talking about Stankoven - I just really believe he's the perfect RW fit the Jets will need to replace Wheeler in three seasons!

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Here is my weekly 'Why the Jets need to absolutely take Logan Stankoven' post, haha. Honestly, I'm even more convinced than ever now.

For those that believe in the Will Scouch (Scouching) view of analytics, he has him ranked in a cohort ranked between 12-16. Moreso, he's been placed in a group with McTavish, Svechkov, Rosen and Sillinger. In fact, HE'S amongst the HIGHEST ranked in: offensive threats created, completing dangerous passes, dangerous shot attempts. This is his write up from Scouching in June 2021:

• I absolutely adore watching Logan Stankoven. His WHL data I tracked was staggeringly good in the offensive direction, and at times even defensively. He's an exceptionally hard worker who can chain together tremendous offensive shifts and absolutely smash his enemies into the ground. I mean, the guy is #1 in offensive threat, completing dangerous passes, creating or taking shot attempts for his team, #2 in DSAT%, DSAT/60, and top 10 in the percentage of his team's shot attempts that are taken by Stankoven from danger, controlling offensive transitions, and the percentage of his passes that are dangerous. He's one of the rare players that you know exactly what you're getting every time he steps on the ice, and he will absolutely be a player that makes bigger players think twice about underrating his tenacity, strength and work rate. I could write all day about him and still have more to say, and I think he absolutely belongs as high on my list as he is here.
A recent tweet from Will Scouch: 'One game sample but hahaha logan stankoven had himself a night'

Another new nugget I found on Stankoven: In 2019/2020 season, 22 of his 29 goals were even strength despite only being 16 years old for the majority of his rookie WHL season. This is staggering. For comparison, his older and 1st round drafted teammate (Connor Zary) had 20 even strength goals as an 18 year old that same year.

Just yesterday, AMScouting released their '5 random games, all puck touches' on Logan Stankoven. They remove all bias. They simply compile every puck touch from a random 5 game randomized sample.

Check this out: If vision is our concern, I see many clever passes. Lots of lookoffs, misdirection, etc. Love his pace. Love the tenacity. To me, I SEE MUCH MORE BRAD MARCHAND (aside from the shinanagans) in his game than I see Braydin Point. I feel this 'every puck touch' compilation is a much better visual of what he actually is as a player.

He seems to have pretty good vision and certainly his tenacity can't be questioned. I love the way he's always moving when he doesn't have the puck on the PP. Pretty impressive kid! I'd be very happy with him.

Reactions: Cypruss

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He seems to have pretty good vision and certainly his tenacity can't be questioned. I love the way he's always moving when he doesn't have the puck on the PP. Pretty impressive kid! I'd be very happy with him.

Might do well on a line with Dubois and Perfetti in the future.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Button's lists always have some interesting takes, but I don't put much stock into them. I'm usually much more interested in McKenzie's list because he tends to have a really good handle on how the actual draft will go, based on his poll of NHL scouts.

In any case, on Button's list both Ceulemans and Lambos would be available at the Jets' pick (#17). He also has both goalies ranked before #17. I wonder if the Jets might have an interest in Lucius (#16 on Button's list). Zach Dean has an interesting profile based on some scouting services (really high-pace and aggressive C with some offense - sounds a bit like a Cirelli type).

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
this would be a catastrophic mistake for the Jets to make.

They won't do that. They have like 4 picks this draft. Trading a first to protect Stanley is stupid.

Here's an idea... despite the overtating of Stanley at this moment he is a very sheltered 3rd pair D who only played cuz Beaulieu got hurt. How bout keep the pick and let Seattle choose who the Jets feel is our 4th best D or 8th best forward. Bottom line we ain't winning or losing games because we lost our 4th best D or 8th best forward. Ppl wanting to throw out 1sts. Only way I consider that is to entice Seattle to take a bad contract and we don't have those minus Wheeler who isn't going anywhere

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Button's lists always have some interesting takes, but I don't put much stock into them. I'm usually much more interested in McKenzie's list because he tends to have a really good handle on how the actual draft will go, based on his poll of NHL scouts.

In any case, on Button's list both Ceulemans and Lambos would be available at the Jets' pick (#17). He also has both goalies ranked before #17. I wonder if the Jets might have an interest in Lucius (#16 on Button's list). Zach Dean has an interesting profile based on some scouting services (really high-pace and aggressive C with some offense - sounds a bit like a Cirelli type).

yea Bob’s list is a very good general take due to his method of research.

I am going to dig in on Zach Dean, I am intrigued.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Maybe I don't need to say this because everyone knows this already but McKenzie's list doesn't reflect any of his own opinions. It is not just based on his poll it is simply the result of his poll. He does add lots interesting detail in his commentary but the list is simply poll results.

I can't wait to see it.

Reactions: ps241

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
yea Bob’s list is a very good general take due to his method of research.

I am going to dig in on Zach Dean, I am intrigued.

Hey. Can you pm me the link for where you order the black book from. May want to get it to look over prior to the draft.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Profile reminds me a ton of DeBrincat

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I’d take the big goaltender Cossa if he’s there at #17.
Let him play junior for the next 2 years, Moose a year, and then Jets.
For the love of God, don’t trade our #1 pick to keep Stanley. We need our prospect pipeline.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I’d take the big goaltender Cossa if he’s there at #17.
Let him play junior for the next 2 years, Moose a year, and then Jets.
For the love of God, don’t trade our #1 pick to keep Stanley. We need our prospect pipeline.

I would not oppose to Cossa if that’s who they feel is the BPA. I think having a backup plan for down the line after Hellebuyck is a good idea. If Helle gets frustrated and wants to move on, with no blue chip goalie in the system there will be some very dark days ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad