Prospect Info: The 2021 NHL Entry Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Oh for sure but he's been to 3 Cup finals and won 1 in the last 11 years. The playoffs are a different animal than the regular season and winning isn't done by holding the door open for your opponents. You slam it shut in their face and give them an extra shot while their down. Playing on the edge can win you Cups, it often does and often will.

Sorry, but if playing like Marchand is what it takes, I will pass on the cup.

The fact that cheaters sometimes win does not justify cheating. In fact, they are only kidding themselves. They didn't actually win. They got the prize. They can put a trophy on their mantle. They can have a parade with thousands cheering for them. But it is a lie, whether they acknowledge it or not. It is a very shallow victory.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

The fact that cheaters sometimes win does not justify cheating. In fact, they are only kidding themselves. They didn't actually win. They got the prize. They can put a trophy on their mantle. They can have a parade with thousands cheering for them. But it is a lie, whether they acknowledge it or not. It is a very shallow victory.

Like I said before I doubt they see it that way nor care that anyone else does.

Reactions: Cypruss

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yes, to a point. You can't be too rigid. There are things that may not adhere strictly to the letter of the law that are normal, accepted practice. There are grey areas. I think you need to tread carefully in the grey areas. To some extent, the fact that everyone else is doing it makes a thing acceptable. Not always though.

If I take you literally, "you gotta win it. That's all that matters" goes too far. It is unlimited. There has to be limits. There are players in the NHL that go too far. We all know who some of them are. Marchand, Wilson, Tkachuk, Perry are ones that come to mind.

So, let's assume by some miracle Chevy acquires Matthew Tkachuk in a trade. Is your disdain for that one player enough to make you stop cheering for the Jets?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's just the cluster I think will happen at the draft. Beniers/Eklund/Guenther will likely go top 10 if the draft plays out the way I expect it too. With Power/Clarke/Hughes/Edvinsson also likely being in that top 10. That leaves the next grouping of forwards as McTavish/Johnson/Lucius/Lysell/Sillinger/Coronato/Svechkov/Stankoven and the next grouping of D as Lambos/Ceulemans who seem to have a more stable ranking.

Then some forwards that could be in that mix Chibrikov/Pastujov/Raty/Robertsson/Pinelli/Othmann/Rosen/L'Heuruex/Tuomaala/Borgault/Samoskevich/Duke/Olausson/Bolduc among others and the next grouping of D as Morrow/Nause/Svozil/Chayka/Olsson/Zellweger/Mailloux/Behrens/Peart/Hreschuk among others. These last two groups have a heavy mixture of guys that are ranked all over the place and it's likely no different on team lists.

For all we know a team still has Raty high and takes a chance on him in the top 10. So many factors that could send this draft into a frenzy as early as pick 3. I'd be surprised if even McKenzies top 10 is close to what happens this year. Let alone his 11-32.
Beniers
Eklund
Guenther

Johnson
McTavish
Lysell
Sillinger
(Lucius)

Coronato
Svechkov
etc.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I hate John “Pajama Boy” Tavares, but if he’s on the Canadian Olympic team I’m not gonna stop rooting for them.

No way I pass on Olympic Gold because of him.

edit: just noticed you said playing LIKE Marchand, not playing with him. I understand you’re point. Pls ignore this :laugh:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Beniers
Eklund
Guenther

Johnson
McTavish
Lysell
Sillinger
(Lucius)

Coronato
Svechkov
etc.
McTavish is climbing fast. I know a lot of Jackets fans currently have him at #5. He’s #8 to Buffalo on my board right now (Eichel trade).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Some people are looking a bit too hard at this pest thing.

Marchand hasn't helped Boston win a cup lately.

Tkachuk hasn't done dick all nothing in the playoffs for Calgary.

Guss which forwards have been the most instrumental in cup wins lately? It's been tou high skilled players like Point, Kuch, Ovie, Crosby, Malkin etc.

Outside of Washington who has Wilson and Boston way back when which cup winning teams the last almost decade had a designated pest? They absolutely aren't needed to win. What is and continually is needed to win is high end talent.

Reactions: wpgallday1960

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Some people are looking a bit too hard at this pest thing.

Marchand hasn't helped Boston win a cup lately.

Tkachuk hasn't done dick all nothing in the playoffs for Calgary.

Guss which forwards have been the most instrumental in cup wins lately? It's been tou high skilled players like Point, Kuch, Ovie, Crosby, Malkin etc.

Outside of Washington who has Wilson and Boston way back when which cup winning teams the last almost decade had a designated pest? They absolutely aren't needed to win. What is and continually is needed to win is high end talent.
Does Patrick Moron count?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
So, let's assume by some miracle Chevy acquires Matthew Tkachuk in a trade. Is your disdain for that one player enough to make you stop cheering for the Jets?

I might have to take a hiatus, yes.

If I rationalize it away and accept it because it makes my team a winner, I have sold my soul. Really. And for a very low price.

Are you an honest person? Or are you only honest when it is convenient?

I'm not trying to come across as 'holier than thou', though I suspect I am. I have made many mistakes in my life. I have compromised my principals. I have lied. I've done things wrong. I've done things I am ashamed of. But I try not to do those things. I try to be better than I have been in the past.

Setting a standard of conduct here is relatively easy. It is just a game. It is just entertainment.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Does Patrick Moron count?

He's a fourth line physical player, not at all what I would call a pest. I mean we have a better version of Maroon in Lowry.

I'm all for bringing in some more jam at certain spots in the roster but we don't need the distraction or antics of some of these so called pests.

Reactions: Cypruss

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
He's a fourth line physical player, not at all what I would call a pest. I mean we have a better version of Maroon in Lowry.

I'm all for bringing in some more jam at certain spots in the roster but we don't need the distraction or antics of some of these so called pests.
I agree, I don’t think we need to go out of our way to get a pest. Moron brings nothing to the table other than physicality and titillation for the commentators, so I (perhaps wrongly) kinda threw him into the best bracket. But he’s not an innate shit disturber.

Reactions: surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I hate John “Pajama Boy” Tavares, but if he’s on the Canadian Olympic team I’m not gonna stop rooting for them.

No way I pass on Olympic Gold because of him.

edit: just noticed you said playing LIKE Marchand, not playing with him. I understand you’re point. Pls ignore this :laugh:

Depends on why you 'hate' a player.

I dislike some players (public figures) for reasons of how they come across to me. May not even be an accurate impression of them, but something about them puts me off. That is very different from actual behaviours like we see in some of these players. And some of them have great reputations as human beings off the ice. I can only judge based on what I see.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I might have to take a hiatus, yes.

If I rationalize it away and accept it because it makes my team a winner, I have sold my soul. Really. And for a very low price.

Are you an honest person? Or are you only honest when it is convenient?

I'm not trying to come across as 'holier than thou', though I suspect I am. I have made many mistakes in my life. I have compromised my principals. I have lied. I've done things wrong. I've done things I am ashamed of. But I try not to do those things. I try to be better than I have been in the past.

Setting a standard of conduct here is relatively easy. It is just a game. It is just entertainment.
I don’t see why bringing in a guy with antics who behaves like a maroon during a game should dissuade us from cheering for the Jets. It’s just a game.

It’s not like we’d be rooting for a rapist or a murderer.

I mean, Pavelec drove drunk and rear-ended a vehicle, legitimately putting lives at risk. I didn’t see anyone say they would stop being a fan of the Jets then

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If Sillinger falls to us I think you have to take him. He's the type of forward that would fit in very nicely with what we have and will have going forward.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don’t see why bringing in a guy with antics who behaves like a maroon during a game should dissuade us from cheering for the Jets. It’s just a game.

It’s not like we’d be rooting for a rapist or a murderer.

I mean, Pavelec drove drunk and rear-ended a vehicle, legitimately putting lives at risk. I didn’t see anyone say they would stop being a fan of the Jets then

Buff was arrested for boating while intoxicated too and has been suspended and fined for his play on the ice. No one stopped being a fan of his either. The truth of the matter is when those players are on your team you tend to take the good with the bad and as long as you win they usually aren't an issue to have around, especially if you win Cups. People like to act high and mighty when they aren't on their team and when they have a player like that they tend to not care as much.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If Sillinger falls to us I think you have to take him. He's the type of forward that would fit in very nicely with what we have and will have going forward.

I have a hard time seeing him get past Calgary at 11. And an even harder time seeing him get past the grouping of Philly, Dallas, NYR and St. Louis to get to us. I think there is a better chance he goes top 10 then drops to 17.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have a hard time seeing him get past Calgary at 11. And an even harder time seeing him get past the grouping of Philly, Dallas, NYR and St. Louis to get to us. I think there is a better chance he goes top 10 then drops to 17.

I do as well but then again I had a hard time seeing Barzal and Conner falling out of the top 10 in 2015, and I never saw Perfetti falling past 6 and getting to us at 10 but it happened.

This draft is a weird one so it will be interesting to see how things unfold.

My biggest target at 17 is Ceulemans. He's a very nice dmen with good size and great skating. He also has some nice offensive upside. I think he would be just what the Dr ordered for our pool.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Lots of good pest talk etc.

The organization has traded every pest we have drafted or had in the system.

Chipman and chevy have done everything to can to portray a non dirty beat them On the scoreboard type of team. Our drafting will continue to provide that image imo.

Pests and half dirty players won’t last here long.

we will draft best player available

I’m hoping for size and skill. I will be happy with that

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Detroit is a real wild card as well. If they take Wallstedt then things really open up. Part of me thinks they might just opt for Edvinsson though if he's there, or Eklund.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I do as well but then again I had a hard time seeing Barzal and Conner falling out of the top 10 in 2015, and I never saw Perfetti falling past 6 and getting to us at 10 but it happened.

This draft is a weird one so it will be interesting to see how things unfold.

My biggest target at 17 is Ceulemans. He's a very nice dmen with good size and great skating. He also has some nice offensive upside. I think he would be just what the Dr ordered for our pool.

Yeah Barzal and Connor dropping was basically just one team completely destroying their draft though by taking 3 off board picks. Though one could argue that Zboril was ranked pretty high. Perfetti dropping had a lot to do with Quinn rising. I think most people had Perfetti/Rossi going 8/9 coin flip at that spot and Buffalo opted for Quinn.

Ceulemans is a big target for me as well. Though if both him and Lambos are on the board I'd have a hard time deciding. I have Lambos ranked higher but the need for Ceulemans is bigger. I think you just go BPA as who knows what our defence looks like in another 2-3 years when that player becomes more of a factor to make our lineup.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah Barzal and Connor dropping was basically just one team completely destroying their draft though by taking 3 off board picks. Though one could argue that Zboril was ranked pretty high. Perfetti dropping had a lot to do with Quinn rising. I think most people had Perfetti/Rossi going 8/9 coin flip at that spot and Buffalo opted for Quinn.

Ceulemans is a big target for me as well. Though if both him and Lambos are on the board I'd have a hard time deciding. I have Lambos ranked higher but the need for Ceulemans is bigger. I think you just go BPA as who knows what our defence looks like in another 2-3 years when that player becomes more of a factor to make our lineup.

To me I like Ceulemans upside more then Lambos. He's not as polished but I think if he puts all his tools together he could be a top pairing guy. I see second pairing upside in Lambos. I would be happy with either at that spot.

Reactions: BatVader

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Buff was arrested for boating while intoxicated too and has been suspended and fined for his play on the ice. No one stopped being a fan of his either. The truth of the matter is when those players are on your team you tend to take the good with the bad and as long as you win they usually aren't an issue to have around, especially if you win Cups. People like to act high and mighty when they aren't on their team and when they have a player like that they tend to not care as much.

I think there is a difference when a player crosses the line with a big/late hit vs a player who just starts stupid shot after the whistle.

I am quite fine with players like Buff.

Reactions: Mathil8

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Lots of good pest talk etc.

The organization has traded every pest we have drafted or had in the system.

Chipman and chevy have done everything to can to portray a non dirty beat them On the scoreboard type of team. Our drafting will continue to provide that image imo.

Pests and half dirty players won’t last here long.

we will draft best player available

I’m hoping for size and skill. I will be happy with that

Wong, Lipon, Sutter, Kosmachuk were definitely in the agitator mold. Gennaro, Stallard and Olsen had a bit of edge to their game as well.

Lowry always had an edge to his game in Junior but has cleaned that up turning pro. Still plays with an edge but not really on the edge. Then you had Lemieux who I think the Jets likely would have kept but wanted to go for it with the Hayes trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad