OT: The 2014-2015 Boston Celtics/NBA Thread III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Yeah, like I said you clearly haven't seen enough of Marcus Smart. Go watch him as a 18 year old in Allen Fieldhouse. One bad ankle sprain with him being in a lot of pain doesn't make you not tough, sorry. Damn him, should've rubbed some dirt on it and sprinted to the locker room amirite?

IMO

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yeah, like I said you clearly haven't seen enough of Marcus Smart. Go watch him as a 18 year old in Allen Fieldhouse. One bad ankle sprain with him being in a lot of pain doesn't make you not tough, sorry. Damn him, should've rubbed some dirt on it and sprinted to the locker room amirite?

IMO

You believe what you want, I'll stick to the truth. He got strapped to a back board and stretchered off, giving a thumbs up to the crowd while being wheeled out over a marginal ankle sprain. Not even any ligament damage. Nothing but a sprain. :laugh:

Sorry if you disagree, but that makes him a little kitty cat in my book. Personally, from what I've seen, I'm not very impressed with his game at all either. Now he's banged up again? Seems to be somewhat frail at the very least, no?

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
You believe what you want, I'll stick to the truth. He got strapped to a back board and stretchered off, giving a thumbs up to the crowd while being wheeled out over a marginal ankle sprain. Not even any ligament damage. Nothing but a sprain. :laugh:

Sorry if you disagree, but that makes him a little kitty cat in my book. Personally, from what I've seen, I'm not very impressed with his game at all either. Now he's banged up again? Seems to be somewhat frail at the very least, no?

You are literally the only person who cares about that.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You are literally the only person who cares about that.

Actually, since you seem to be a green teammer, why is the team playing him in meaningless summer league games? They saw him last year against NBA comp, so why possibly risk injury when it doesn't matter?

I don't care about it at all, TBH. I just think it's hilarious that he acted so incredibly over the top for a pretty tame injury. The thumbs up to the crowd really sold it for me...:laugh:

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Actually, since you seem to be a green teammer, why is the team playing him in meaningless summer league games? They saw him last year against NBA comp, so why possibly risk injury when it doesn't matter?

I don't care about it at all, TBH. I just think it's hilarious that he acted so incredibly over the top for a pretty tame injury. The thumbs up to the crowd really sold it for me...:laugh:

Because he has a lot of room to improve, especially when it comes to scoring. In summer league he was able to be a #1 option against (borderline) nba competition, something he's never done.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Because he has a lot of room to improve, especially when it comes to scoring. In summer league he was able to be a #1 option against (borderline) nba competition, something he's never done.

To me, you do that in the preseason, where the level of competition would be far closer to what he's going to see during the season. Doing this against summer league JAGs and bottom of the roster fodder proves nothing. He's already better than them, based on being in the league and having started actual NBA games. Now they better hope his fingers heal up and feel okay, or he's never going to find his shooting touch.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
To me, you do that in the preseason, where the level of competition would be far closer to what he's going to see during the season. Doing this against summer league JAGs and bottom of the roster fodder proves nothing. He's already better than them, based on being in the league and having started actual NBA games. Now they better hope his fingers heal up and feel okay, or he's never going to find his shooting touch.

He's not gonna be the guy in preseason though. I think summer league is a pretty valuable experience. And most 2nd year guys play. Clarkson, Exum, Vonleh, Randle, Gordon, Payton. I think the only ones who aren't playing are Wiggins and the injured ones.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
If you don't think Marcus Smart is tough then you haven't been watching enough Marcus Smart his entire career, college included. Guy scraps and claws every possession, has gone into some of the toughest environments in sports (Allen Fieldhouse in particular) and led his team to victories (did that as a freshman, mental toughness for days). There are other ways to measure toughness than to just be like "Oh he got carted off for a sprain what a pansy", especially when he's essentially the franchise cornerstone at the moment and they are trying to be extra cautious.

It's the typical hockey mentality applied to all sports around here. It just flat out doesn't work. Sorry, you won't be seeing Bergeron's in other sports. Hockey players are just a different breed.

Smart doesn't back down. He's the first guy in the gym, he gets on the floor for balls, he doesn't let critics dictate his game (evidenced by the MUCH improved shot). He wears charges and just flat out competes. That's more than tough enough for me, especially from a 20 year old kid playing against grown ass men.

I don't doubt Smart's toughness, but how in the world can you claim that his shot has MUCH improved? Barely improved is more like it, if that.

The only starting-caliber skill which Smart possesses is defending whoever has the ball, the same skill as the over-paid Bradley (who isn't even as good at that as he used to be) & the over-drafted Rozier.
Otherwise he is, just as the aforementioned two, below replacement level everywhere else on an NBA court.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't doubt Smart's toughness, but how in the world can you claim that his shot has MUCH improved? Barely improved is more like it, if that.

The only starting-caliber skill which Smart possesses is defending whoever has the ball, the same skill as the over-paid Bradley (who isn't even as good at that as he used to be) & the over-drafted Rozier.
Otherwise he is, just as the aforementioned two, below replacement level everywhere else on an NBA court.

28% career college 3pt shooter, up to close to 34% as a rookie from a further distance. That's a pretty significant jump. He had trouble finishing at the rim but that will come (and started to come a lot this summer). He had a good rookie season as far as I'm concerned.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston

You know that he was a rookie last year, right? Are you even an nba fan or do you just come here and call the Celtics the smelltics and spew other nonsense? LSCII may be saying things I disagree with, but at least he's not spewing bull**** (at least not entirely).

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
You know that he was a rookie last year, right? Are you even an nba fan or do you just come here and call the Celtics the smelltics and spew other nonsense? LSCII may be saying things I disagree with, but at least he's not spewing bull**** (at least not entirely).

Smart has neither a Point Guard's instincts nor a Shooting Guard's touch. So what the hell does that make him, exactly?

And oh by the way, in what feckin universe would Bobby Portis have been redundant here? If any Forward is redundant, it's Perry Jones.

Last edited:

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Smart has neither a Point Guard's instincts nor a Shooting Guard's touch. So what the hell does that make him, exactly?

As a freaking rookie. I really don't feel like arguing with someone who clearly doesn't know much about basketball. Plenty of the top point guards in the game didn't have "point guard's instincts" their rookie year and plenty of the top shooting guards didn't have a "shooting guard's touch" as a rookie. Hold off on this ****, will ya?

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Sounds like you would've absolutely despised Russell Westbrook for the first few years of his career stone

jdz

May 22, 2013
Yes because if you were picked in the top 10 all of your skills must be at an elite NBA ability straight away in your first season.

Give me a break.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Ty Lawson to Houston. Even putting the dui's aside for a second, he's an odd fit there considering Beverley is already there and is pretty similar to Lawson and Houston doesn't really need an elite point guard with Harden running their offense. But if he does work out better than Rondo is Dallas on the court and can take care of himself off the court, that's the first big upgrade Houston's made, keeping pace with San Antonio, the Clippers, the Warriors and the Thunder. Can't believe one of those teams won't make it out of the first round. Maybe 2 if New Orleans or Memphis can pull an upset.

I'm not sure the last time there's been more talent among the league's 6 best teams than there is now, with those 6 being the top 5 from the west plus Cleveland.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
28% career college 3pt shooter, up to close to 34% as a rookie from a further distance. That's a pretty significant jump. He had trouble finishing at the rim but that will come (and started to come a lot this summer). He had a good rookie season as far as I'm concerned.
Smart's rookie season reminded me quite a bit of Chauncey Billups' rookie season.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Traded a whole lot of nothing to get him too

Yup. It was the right trade for Denver though. He wasn't going to fetch much with his recent troubles and Mudiay should start right away. Plus they re-signed Jameer Nelson.

Also, this could have been the Rondo return if Dallas didn't decide they wanted him. Can't say for sure though. There were plenty of rumors about Houston being interested in Rondo, but it didn't make much sense.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
This Mickey kid is intriguing me more and more. He times his blocks better than a lot of seasoned NBA players.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I wanted them to take Mickey (provided nobody fell) at 17 then at 28. Very stoked we got him where we did, gonna be solid value. Last I read there was renewed optimism for them reaching a multi-year deal so hopefully that gets done in short order.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
So 15 man roster with no trades

Thomas
Bradley
Crowder
Johnson
Lee

Smart
Turner