Toronto FC: TFC 2024 Season \ Canada Soccer: MLS Refocus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I don't suppose tonights game is televised anywhere?
i actually get this on fubo (at least i think i do - i caught the last canadian championship game there). Fubo shows the one soccer content. I predominantly buy it for the premier league.

Honestly though finding toronto FC streams has been pretty easy this season. I have been able to watch full games from my ipad mirrored to my TV. Streams used to be so unreliable and frustrating (in years past), but it's been fine for me so far.

Reactions: ACC1224

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
caught about half of the game yesterday, and i have to say i am impressed with the turn around from last season to this season. Seems like a decent result to take an away point against a team pretty close in the standings.

One thing that i feel is lacking on this roster is a proper striker. I know Prince Owusu wasn't playing yesterday, but i don't think he's anything special. Decent option to have on the squad, but they need a better player that has more skill or pace or technical ability. just something.

I don't really know the team payroll, but have they used up all their DPs? Other than Insigne and Bernadescchi, there's no one else on the roster that's a DP right?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
caught about half of the game yesterday, and i have to say i am impressed with the turn around from last season to this season. Seems like a decent result to take an away point against a team pretty close in the standings.

One thing that i feel is lacking on this roster is a proper striker. I know Prince Owusu wasn't playing yesterday, but i don't think he's anything special. Decent option to have on the squad, but they need a better player that has more skill or pace or technical ability. just something.

I don't really know the team payroll, but have they used up all their DPs? Other than Insigne and Bernadescchi, there's no one else on the roster that's a DP right?
:thumbd: Every time I see this thread bumped, I realize I missed another game.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We outplayed Philly in their own barn despite being shorthanded and should have had 3 points if not for missed point blank scoring opportunities.

Looking forward to having a stronger squad available this weekend.

Richie Laryea is currently the 3rd DP.

However, we can still add a quality striker as a young DP (I believe the player has to be under 23).

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Richie Laryea is currently the 3rd DP.

However, we can still add a quality striker as a young DP (I believe the player has to be under 23).
really?

That's a disappointing choice for a DP. He brings nowhere near the impact that a real DP should bring (and yeah i know he's been injured thus not playing). Also not the best choice on his position alone. We already have 2 wide DP's. Team should have distributed that a bit more evenly across the pitch.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
really?

That's a disappointing choice for a DP. He brings nowhere near the impact that a real DP should bring (and yeah i know he's been injured thus not playing). Also not the best choice on his position alone. We already have 2 wide DP's. Team should have distributed that a bit more evenly across the pitch.
It's an accounting move.

They used TAP to get Osorio off DP, but Laryea's contract is a little too much for him to be paid down right now.

Here's the salary table for cap purposes:

Cap is 5.4M (DPs don't count)

Also keep in mind that this is a transitional DP versus a go-for-it DP. Basically, if Toronto thought they could win, they could acquire space to pay his deal down and then sign another DP. Where TFC is trying to build a better structure and develop depth, it is fine to have a quality back (where Toronto has no depth).

Under Herdman, Toronto has already shown more depth than any point in years, but the closer they get to having cheap options at most positions, the closer they get to being able to have 3 true DPs.

Last edited:

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
surprised no one has posted about the national team yet.

game vs. Netherlands: It was going good till it wasn't. ugly score.

Game vs. France: Pretty great result to be honest. And it was a well deserved tie too. Canada had their chances (as did France). Much, much better and this should be a serious confidence boost heading into copa America. Jesse Marsch era seems to be starting pretty well.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I was pleasantly surprised with the result against France for sure. It looks like Marsch is implementing a defensive approach to get the team ready for the next World Cup.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out in the upcoming Copa America tournament. Our first match is against another behemoth in Argentina.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Heads up...Thursday's Copa America game is on TSN.

I had not expected that, but I found it in the listings.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Fifa World Rankings officially come out tomorrow.

This site (https://football-ranking.com/fifa-rankings) seems to be doing live updates and has Canada officially 48th at the moment.

Tonight's game could have a monumental swing for both clubs.

If Canada somehow wins, they would move to 43 in the world (and Argentina would lose 1st). If Canada loses, they would drop to 1455.52, which would keep them 48th. A draw would bump them to 47th.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Fifa World Rankings officially come out tomorrow.

This site (FIFA national team ranking - LIVE) seems to be doing live updates and has Canada officially 48th at the moment.

Tonight's game could have a monumental swing for both clubs.

If Canada somehow wins, they would move to 43 in the world (and Argentina would lose 1st). If Canada loses, they would drop to 1455.52, which would keep them 48th. A draw would bump them to 47th.
Is the game tonight or tomorrow?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Some quick add-ons to everything:

Canada will be 48 entering Copa America in a group with Argentina (1), Peru (30) and Chile (40)

The importance score for rankings for group games is 35 (40 for knockout games) whereas friendlies in an international window is 10

You can lose points in the group stage but not in the knockout round.

If Canada somehow won all 3 games, they could reach 1528 points (top 30)

A few scenarios:
LLWLWWLWLLLL

1474.401​

1491.879​

1456.879​

1439.401​

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I just hope they don't get blown out. Tonight or even in the tournament overall.

The game vs. France has me a little bit hopeful. Just a bit.

I just want them to put on a good showing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad