Toronto FC: TFC 2024 Season \ Canada Soccer: *Copa - Canada lost to Uruguay in shootout.*

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
A bunch of Uruguay players went into the stands after the loss to fight the Columbia fans.
Will there be any repercussions for this?
And does this mean some of those guys will miss the game against us?

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
A bunch of Uruguay players went into the stands after the loss to fight the Columbia fans.
Will there be any repercussions for this?
And does this mean some of those guys will miss the game against us?
Lol what?!
I guess i turned my TV off too early.
That's crazy.

EDIT: Just watched a couple videos. One particularly looked bad. For sure there's a ban coming... not sure how many players were involved but Darwin Nunez was in the middle of it. I'm a Liverpool supporter so i have become very familiar with him for the last 2 years. all i can say is OF COURSE it was Darwin Nunez. Even when i read cyris' post my first thought was 'i bet Darwin was invlolved.' Lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: cyris

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why is the football so much more feisty (I don’t know what is the right word to use) on this side of the ocean? The game in Europe is much more tame. I mean, how many red cards have we seen in the Copa? And now this brawl? Insane.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Why is the football so much more feisty (I don’t know what is the right word to use) on this side of the ocean? The game in Europe is much more tame. I mean, how many red cards have we seen in the Copa? And now this brawl? Insane.
It's because Latin players are fiery and passionate! I'm sort of kidding, but they REALLY play up to the stereotype. lol.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
A lot of it comes down to the refereeing standard. There's a reason why every Canadian broadcase has to bring up the CONCACAF and CONMEBOL refs. They allow more tugging and grabbing than other regions, they allow more handwork on jump balls, and they are generally less consistent across the board.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Some scenarios for the 3rd place game (again, assuming my math isn't too far off).

Win and Canada moves up to 33 in the world.

Penalty shootout win and Canada moves up to 35 in the world (directly behind Panama)

Penalty shootout loss and Canada moves up to 40 in the world

Lose and Canada should be 43rd when the Fifa rankings update

Reactions: Kurtz and OddyOh

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some scenarios for the 3rd place game (again, assuming my math isn't too far off).

Win and Canada moves up to 33 in the world.

Penalty shootout win and Canada moves up to 35 in the world (directly behind Panama)

Penalty shootout loss and Canada moves up to 40 in the world

Lose and Canada should be 43rd when the Fifa rankings update
Thanks for providing that, it's interesting.

Where was Canada ranked before the tournament began?
I'm assuming 33rd would be quite an achievement, what is the highest ranking Canada has ever held?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Thanks for providing that, it's interesting.

Where was Canada ranked before the tournament began?
I'm assuming 33rd would be quite an achievement, what is the highest ranking Canada has ever held?
Canada is officially 48th (Fifa rankings only update periodically) but the points are all based on taking the pre-tournament points and adjusting for every game.

The highest Canada has ever been was 33 in 2022. They dropped quite a bit after the World Cup.

Edit: Uruguay is 11th for comparison's sake

Reactions: OddyOh and ACC1224

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Liam Millar should never play again, guy is horrible. Every time he has the ball it's a disadvantage for us.

Reactions: Kurtz

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Liam Millar should never play again, guy is horrible. Every time he has the ball it's a disadvantage for us.
I thought he played fairly well after the first game. Something important to keep in mind is that Millar is a 24 year-old playing in the English Championship. While he has the physical attributes to be very good for Canada, he needs to find his way into Basel (or some other bigger club)'s first team so he gets used to a higher level of competition.

The real questions that I have about Miller surround choosing him as a starter to begin the tournament.

Edit: For context, imagine if at the next Olympics, the Czechs brought a young kid playing in the Czech league and played him top 4. Obviously, he's going to struggle when he's facing guys like Matthews, McDavid, etc.

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

It seems like Canada might field more of the depth for the 3rd place game as a developmental opportunity. While this hurts Canada's chances to win, it could potentially have significant long-term benefits (especially with de Fougerolles)

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I thought he played fairly well after the first game. Something important to keep in mind is that Millar is a 24 year-old playing in the English Championship. While he has the physical attributes to be very good for Canada, he needs to find his way into Basel (or some other bigger club)'s first team so he gets used to a higher level of competition.

The real questions that I have about Miller surround choosing him as a starter to begin the tournament.

Edit: For context, imagine if at the next Olympics, the Czechs brought a young kid playing in the Czech league and played him top 4. Obviously, he's going to struggle when he's facing guys like Matthews, McDavid, etc.
FC Basel and the Swiss League does not offer better competition then the Championship and Preston North End. Especially last season when Basel was an absolute mess and Preston was pushing for promotion (until they fell off in the final 6 weeks of the season). If Basel had a European spot, I'd probably feel differently. Maybe they can get back to those levels but they have been declining the past couple of season.

Really 75% of the team was out matched in these Argentina games. Argentina defends better, manages the game better, and moves as unit faster then any International team we have seen to date. They are technical, fast, deep, the list goes on... We needed everyone to play perfectly to stand a chance.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
FC Basel and the Swiss League does not offer better competition then the Championship and Preston North End. Especially last season when Basel was an absolute mess and Preston was pushing for promotion (until they fell off in the final 6 weeks of the season). If Basel had a European spot, I'd probably feel differently. Maybe they can get back to those levels but they have been declining the past couple of season.

Really 75% of the team was out matched in these Argentina games. Argentina defends better, manages the game better, and moves as unit faster then any International team we have seen to date. They are technical, fast, deep, the list goes on... We needed everyone to play perfectly to stand a chance.
I just think that it is unfair to expect a lot of a kid playing 2nd league versus Argentina. This is part of why Canada needs more players in general available who play in better leagues.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I just think that it is unfair to expect a lot of a kid playing 2nd league versus Argentina. This is part of why Canada needs more players in general available who play in better leagues.
For sure! It's coming, over the next couple of years I bet our European player base doubles.

That's pretty harsh, especially with our lack of midfield depth.
It's simply a terrible take lol.

Millar is still young and unlike most of our team, he came through a major club academy. He is a technically sound player who will get better over the coming years.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
What does it take to cap tie a player these days?

England under 21's would like to have de Fougerolles in their system. I know he doesn't hold the same cache that Tamori did at that age, but he can use him as a cautionary tale.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
That's pretty harsh, especially with our lack of midfield depth.
Millar is not a midfielder... he plays LW that's his main position and the position he prefers to play that's a forward / attacker position in soccer not a midfielder and he was playing LW for Canada not midfield.... just because a coach has put him in midfield before doesn't make him a midfielder.

Midfield depth has nothing to do with it, he's came on every game and has done nothing but kill plays and momentum... He had his chance and his opportunity and he didn't do nothing with it, now it's time to try someone else and give someone else an opportunity.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Millar is not a midfielder... he plays LW that's his main position and the position he prefers to play that's a forward / attacker position in soccer not a midfielder and he was playing LW for Canada not midfield.... just because a coach has put him in midfield before doesn't make him a midfielder.

Midfield depth has nothing to do with it, he's came on every game and has done nothing but kill plays and momentum... He had his chance and his opportunity and he didn't do nothing with it, now it's time to try someone else and give someone else an opportunity.
He played more advanced for Marsch then he has in the past, but he is not an out and out LW like you are describing. For Preston though he played more as a left midfielder/ LWB and has much more defensive duties. That's partially why I think he keeps getting picked. Millar tracks back well and provides support on the left. It makes it easier for Davies to overlap/carry the ball with that coverage.

In terms of his play, it was mid. At 24 though, there is no reason to pile on him. Still has room to grow.

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
He played more advanced for Marsch then he has in the past, but he is not an out and out LW like you are describing. For Preston though he played more as a left midfielder/ LWB and has much more defensive duties. That's partially why I think he keeps getting picked. Millar tracks back well and provides support on the left. It makes it easier for Davies to overlap/carry the ball with that coverage.

In terms of his play, it was mid. At 24 though, there is no reason to pile on him. Still has room to grow.
He's played LW all the time and has played LW for the past how many years he's been on the Canadian team, don't know what you're talking about he most defiantly is a LW and plays there 90% of the time. If he's there for his defensive purposes then use him as a LB... You don't use LW's for their defensive game you use them for their attacking game because at the end of the day that's what they are there to do.

His play was below mid and this wasn't something that just happened in the Copa America he's been on the team for awhile now and plays below mid all the time. It's time to give someone else a chance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad