Tell me why I shouldn’t worry about the Canucks slipping

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Stecher is a borderline NHLer, which is still an upgrade over any of their D other than Ekholm. This is a historically bad group and it's honestly a disgrace to the sport to see the Oilers try to pass off these pylons as a blueline.
And their goalie isnt any better. Skinner got lit up in preseason against a bunch of ahlers.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I dont think you have good hockey knowledge if you think this roster is not even able to get sub 90 in points. Sprong and Lekker even not making the team would still leave Hoglander on 2nd line who is capable of 25 goals and Suter on the top line just like last season plus the additions of sprong, Heinen, sherwood on the bottom line. You also forgot Joshua and Garland being the best 3rd line in the league. Its ok if you miss last season, thinking Canucks will miss playoff due to their forward depth is wild 🤣
You are confused if you think I said the team wasn't capable of exceeding 90 points. In fact, I said the opposite.

If you take a little more time when reading, you'll see I was supportive of your opinion that the teams floor is making the playoffs, or as you shared, baring any catastrophic injuries.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Classic overachievers due for a step back.

Naturally, everyone is riding high on them and can’t fathom them not being a top team just one year after they were widely perceived as a non playoff, 10th in the West, 20th in the league team heading into the season.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they revert to 2022-2023. They were the same high scoring team then that they were last season, but suffered with Demko being terrible before missing three months due to injury. With his questionable status to start the season and how he might play whenever he actually returns, it’s not hard to see them slipping back down to 90-92 points or lower.

Worth noting that they were 42-17-7 (.689) before he missed 5+ weeks last season. They went 7-5-2 (.571) in his absence. They simply play better in front of him.
That season was also a year of two coaches where they were 18-25-3 under Boudreau and then 20-12-4 under Tocchet. Hardly a consistent season. Boudreau is a good coach but his hiring was suspect (hired by owner after firing Green/Benning and before hiring new management) and wasn't a good fit.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Lindholm wasn't that big of a loss (was a 40-point guy and clutch two-way player at 3rd C, with possible rebound potential but also prohibitive price tag; let Boston take that risk), same with Zadorov (he had that possible breakout against Nashville but to pay him at that price is just too steep). DeBrusk might not break out himself either but at worst he's a two-way threat that we have several seasons (Hopefully shorter) to let him gel with Petey or Miller. Desharnais, Forbort, Soucy and Myers are, at worst, stabilizers on the back end with the size and toughness to protect the net. Silovs also has looked sharp at least in preseason, and with him and Lankinen I think they can at least stay afloat while Demko is out. Lastly, with his savvy cap management (going within $100k's of the cap ceiling, staggering major contracts) Allvin's built a sustainable team and system and I trust that the product on ice is likely greater than the sum of its parts (e.g. Petey and Miller can elevate some middle-6 guys to be top-6/ low-end top-line wingers) so we'd have depth like we haven't seen for awhile.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
You should worry based on last years shooting percentage alone.
It seems people have been talking about Canucks shooting percentage since Hughes was a baby. Many have pointed out that their shooting percentage and PDO normalized in the 2nd half of last season but keep preaching it like it will affect Canucks performance this year 😂 if you also notice, Canucks did add a bunch of forwards and one that seems to be very productive in goals per minute in Sprong 😉

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Lindholm wasn't that big of a loss (was a 40-point guy and clutch two-way player at 3rd C, with possible rebound potential but also prohibitive price tag; let Boston take that risk), same with Zadorov (he had that possible breakout against Nashville but to pay him at that price is just too steep). DeBrusk might not break out himself either but at worst he's a two-way threat that we have several seasons (Hopefully shorter) to let him gel with Petey or Miller. Desharnais, Forbort, Soucy and Myers are, at worst, stabilizers on the back end with the size and toughness to protect the net. Silovs also has looked sharp at least in preseason, and with him and Lankinen I think they can at least stay afloat while Demko is out. Lastly, with his savvy cap management (going within $100k's of the cap ceiling, staggering major contracts) Allvin's built a sustainable team and system and I trust that the product on ice is likely greater than the sum of its parts (e.g. Petey and Miller can elevate some middle-6 guys to be top-6/ low-end top-line wingers) so we'd have depth like we haven't seen for awhile.
You forgot to mention how Alvin has efficiently used cap space to bring in contributors. Sprong for 800k, Lankinen for less than a million, Sherwood and Heinen for cheap. These arent scrubs, they all have some good strength in areas we lacked last season. Its a genius type of team building we have lacked when Benning the clown was in charge.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad