Teetering on the edge of Leafs Nation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I guess it depends on what you want out of the situation. I enjoy watching hockey (usually just the Leafs, because I enjoy a number of other things that I spend time on). I enjoy it a little more if the Leafs are doing well. If they happen to win a Championship, great. I'd love that to happen. If they suck some years, I put it behind me and move on.

Overall, it just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to get worked up over some that is so far out of my control.

LOL..."some years"

They've sucked for pretty much 10 straight years now.

hockeyfanz*

but still caring enough to shake your fists and thunder at the sky:laugh:

jeebuz you LeafLanders kill me

Hahahaha...its a tough habit to break after 40 years...like heroin or cocaine. Also the Leafs are like a car wreck on the side of the highway...you don't want to look but human curiosity always has a way of taking over common sense. Inevitably you will see something that makes your stomach turn and then wonder why you decided to look....

Much like a Leafs fan. :laugh:

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
I can't believe how seriously so many people take NHL hockey. It's entertainment, nothing more. If the Leafs are crap, it really shouldn't have any effect on your life whatsoever.

You just watch the games, and hope they win. That's really it. No point in getting all pissy about it.

Kyle Doobas*

I can't believe how seriously so many people take NHL hockey. It's entertainment, nothing more. If the Leafs are crap, it really shouldn't have any effect on your life whatsoever.

You just watch the games, and hope they win. That's really it. No point in getting all pissy about it.
Again, that's why it's called an 'emotional investment'.

When they lose, you get to stand off in the corner, shrug your shoulders and go, 'meh, doesn't bother me', while everyone else is throwing a fit.

When they win, you get to stand off in the corner with your arms crossed, going, 'yep, pretty cool,' while everyone else is ****ing in the streets.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
This organization is an embarrassment to the city of Toronto and to the sport of hockey. **** Carlyle, **** Nonis, and **** Lieweke. Go sign some soccer players and basketball players using Leafs tickets money, and continue to **** over the Leafs.

The Raptors make a $29M operating profit.

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
This team was built for Ron Wilson run and gun they don't have the players to play r c hockey

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
Since the playoffs aren't even over yet isn't it a bit early for you to be out on the ledge? Why not wait and see what moves they make this off season before deciding whether or not to jump?

I am willing to wait for this. I'm not expecting much, just more hollow promises and overpaying mediocre guys, possibly a sprinkle of trading young assets for mediocre prime players. But I desperately would love to be proven wrong and eat my words.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
It's called an emotional investment for a reason. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.

Not giving a **** when the team is bad is nice, but you're also not going to feel a fraction of the payoff that others will when they win.
but does the more emotional fan get as much payoff from a disappointing season as the less emotional fan?

because that is nearly every season for the leafs

could be the less emotional guy actually comes out ahead. As unfair as that probably is.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
everyone has the choice to do what they wish with their entertainment dollars or time.

maybe if more actually stated, i'm not going to support this, leaf management would take it more seriously.

Montreal has just as passionate fans, and when their team was stumbling along, they did something smart - they stopped filling the rink for every game.

Nothing like empty seats to get the message across that it's intolerable.

but then again what do they know..

Okay so what would management/ownership do differently if the fans actually did stop buying tickets?

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Okay so what would management/ownership do differently if the fans actually did stop buying tickets?

Won't happen in a million years. You might aswell tell people to stop watching TV if they don't like a show. Leafs tickets are a status symbol in the business world.

Last edited:

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Hahahaha...its a tough habit to break after 40 years...like heroin or cocaine. Also the Leafs are like a car wreck on the side of the highway...you don't want to look but human curiosity always has a way of taking over common sense. Inevitably you will see something that makes your stomach turn and then wonder why you decided to look....

Much like a Leafs fan. :laugh:

Do you go on social media and berate the drivers of the wreck? :sarcasm:

egd27

Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Won't happen in a million years. You might aswell tell people to stop watching TV if they don't like a show.

I know it won't happen, but even if it did, what do people think ownership/management would do differently ?

Take a step back and get worse? Not likely.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I know it won't happen, but even if it did, what do people think ownership/management would do differently ?

Take a step back and get worse? Not likely.

I honestly don't even think they realize how bad they are. It's a boys club and everyone has everyone else's back.

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
You don't like the leafs, then leave. No one gives a flying ****

and these will be the same dumb ****** who ***** a complain that they don`t make the playoffs next seasons. ****ing leaf fans are worst than the habs fans. if there team is not playing well they ***** and boo until something is done about it:laugh:

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
As for this thread, there has to be a middle ground between lapping up everyone fed to you and hating everything for the past 10 years. I don't think either point of view is very healthy.

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van

They can affect my mood, but not my life. When things go to that extreme, I think you need to start questioning your priorities.

Kyle Doobas*

They can affect my mood, but not my life. When things go to that extreme, I think you need to start questioning your priorities.
What would qualify as 'affecting your life'?

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
I guess it's cool to call out former fans by name like dredeye and Faltorvo but indirectly mention current posters that have been swinging from management's nuts like Tarzan from a vine for years and your post gets deleted. Got it!

You expect idiots to actually be dealt with? Shame on you. :laugh:

The Great Gazoo

Hello, dum dum
May 2, 2014
Isle of Van
What would qualify as 'affecting your life'?

The way you treat others around you. Your performance at work. If the team is getting to you to the point where things that hold value in your life are taking a hit, you need to take a step back. I'm not saying that applies to everyone in this thread. But there are people I know in real life who don't know how to separate themselves from their love for the team.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
If RC being re-signed is the pushing point for you as a fan, Adios.

This.

How many coaching changes have we made? It isn't the coaches.

Maybe it's the fact we keep going after people's cast always and say they're our core. It's a leadership issue and notice how when Dions season went to **** so did our team? Coincidence?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Well they wouldn't be overpaying or shopping for veterans and giving them their pot of gold because they played well somewhere else for years.

I guess they would be stuck drafting and trying desperately to develop young up and coming players. As the team improved fans would come back, the team could then spend money on keeping their players etc etc.

So yeah they would be forced to build a team from within.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Well they wouldn't be overpaying or shopping for veterans and giving them their pot of gold because they played well somewhere else For years.

I guess they would be stuck drafting and trying desperately to develop young up and coming players. As the team improved fans would come back, the team could then spend money on keeping their players etc etc.

So yeah they would be forced to build a team from within.
.... Or they realize people aren't supporting the losing and try to win at all costs, even if it means selling off the future.

That's the more likely scenario given the size of MLSE and potential profit at stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad